Generator choices for charging via trailer converter

Explorer01

I've got a tri-fuel (Gasoline, Natural Gas, Propane) unit that I really like (though the specific model is no longer available, but you can find even better opts) and while there is certainly a delta-cost over a single fuel unit, the flexibility is comforting. I've got several moderate sized propane tanks stored and also gasoline that I rotate into the car to keep it fresh. When we had a storm driven multi day power outage last year (and gasoline was essentially unavailable) there were a couple of days where some places still had propane (if  you for example did not have enough fuel stored).

Edited by RacingVenture

• 8 months later...

Power-wise, a 900 watt generator should be just fine for topping off your batteries as a backup.

I've for years used a 650 watt ultra-quiet four-stroke Honda gas generator to top up the 230 amp hour AGM battery bank in our Class C motorhome. I do this by plugging the RV's 30 amp shore cable directly into the generator so as to use the RV's stock converter alone, or at times in addition having the generator at the same time power a stand-alone battery charger along with the stock converter.

Using the converter and the separate battery charger together - both powered by the little Honda - of course forces more current into the RV batteries than just the converter by itself. You could do the same with your 900 watt propane generator.

Our Honda is a four-stroke generator with a 0.51 gallon fuel tank. We start out trips with it's tank full and also carry along another 2 gallons of fuel for it in a red all-steel safety gas can. The generator will run 5-6 gallons on it's tank, so it just sips the fuel and as such, it's a no-brainer to bring along a little gas for it on all RV camping trips.

The 650 watt Honda generator has a sound level of 54dB when fully loaded. Click here if you interested to learn about different brand models of propane generators.