Newbie 5er

jacks

In the 26-30 foot 5ers I'm curious about how many of you have generators in your trailer. I'm hoping to boondock more than half the time. I like the arctic fox 27l-5s and some others. Any feedback would be great. Air conditioning is high importance to me.

Thanks

I don't have one in my 27ft 5er. I do own one for my house, but I won't be hauling it with me. I thought about putting a luggage rack on the back of my camper (it already has the receiver hitch) and carrying it that way, but my current generator is overkill for my RV. I also don't want to be listening to a generator if I'm out in the middle of nowhere. If you're boondocking a lot, maybe you want to consider solar instead of a generator. They have 400W kits, not including batteries or inverter, for around $600..

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Most won't have built in generators, but many DO carry portable inverter generator/s. If you plan to do much boondocking then solar as a primary source of electricity and a small generator as a backup is probably the most widely accepted and practical means of energy generation. If air conditioning is a high priority then a generator would be a must.

The size of generator would depend on the size of your AC. In that size of rig.. I would guess probably a 13.5k AC (?). Depending on the brand, size, and ambient temperature, a 13.5k AC may or may not be able to run on a single 2000watt portable generator. I installed a hard start capacitor to my 13.5k and it "will" run on a single 2000watt genny, however, I carry 2-2000watt generators that can be run in parallel and I get much better fuel economy running both to power my AC. Oddly enough.. running 2 is also much quieter than running a single that's "screaming" under the load.

A 3000watt portable "should" be more than sufficient up to a single 15k AC, but you also have to consider the additional weight and portability of a generator that size. (my 2000watt Yamaha's weight about 40lbs each so they are very convenient to move)

My setup is really fairly typical among most serious boondockers. Either dual Honda's, Yamaha's or equivalent. One is generally sufficient for most day to day needs, but having a second gives you a backup and the ability to run higher loads that wouldn't be possible on solar alone.

When I had my fifth wheel I mounted a portable generator on a rack that fit into a hitch on the back of my fifth wheel. Big mistake....the gen transmitted vibration and noise throughout the trailer. Took it off shortly thereafter. Its much quieter on the ground or in the back of the truck.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 2 weeks later...

I know very little about electrical etc either.

I contacted Renogy about my needs and power usage; On 110V, laptop and phone charging, a few hours of TV (maybe) a day, occasional microwave use and a couple of lamps. On 12V, LED lights, stereo and maybe a fan. Fridge and stove are propane.

I am planning on going with Renogy's 400W complete kit (panels, wires, charge controller) from Amazon which is plenty for the amount of electricity I will consume. Renogy also worked out the info for me and estimates with all the above that I will need 280amp hours of battery to keep my battery charge above the 50% mark. I will probably go with two 200aHr batteries for a total of 400aHrs to give me a buffer and the option to add more panels if I want to.

So figure out all what you want to be running off the batteries and then email Renogy with your list and see what they recommend. So far they have provided great customer service, and the complete kit is available on Amazon.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Archived