Solar Panel Shading---Panels in Parallel or Series

Al F

but there are both older controllers and cheap new ones that either don't block or have an internal blocking diode. The controller data sheets should cover this, if not assume the worst and buy something else.

I tend to agree. Schottky diodes are "ancient" in solar tech terms.. and leaps and bounds better than the older P/N diodes, but still aren't that uncommon in lower cost controllers. It's really "price driven" in my mind. Schottky's being 3-4x's the price over P/N's vs. 8-10x's the price of more efficient active bypass diodes that aren't really "necessary" in 12v arrays anyway.. from a protective standpoint, but are sure handy in an RV'r series array.

It has been so long since I saw a controller that didn't have some form of nighttime discharge blocking circuit I can't recall just how much power they drained out of the battery by back-feeding the solar array or even if that drain depended solely on the controller or if array size also mattered.

I do recall folks back when I was just getting started adding a power switch between the solar controller and battery so they could flip it off and stop the overnight drain.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Power diode, heatsink, connectors and a vented box = $$$

Switch = Out of the junk box most likely.

Yes, I do hang out with the cheap crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them had just used a wire nut because it was cheaper than a switch.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived