electrical usage

We have the stackable whirlpool washer and dryer. Both have their on separate plug. wired to be able to dry and wash at the same time. My question has anyone used their machines while on 30 amp service. I'm sure it wold not be wise to run both at the same time, but wondered if we could run one or the other.

Thanks,

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

Of course, the ONLY way anyone could provide an accurate answer would be to know the actual load each draws while in operation, either from specs/ data on YOUR UNIT OR use a Killawatt meter etc. to measure it. From your post I take it BOTH operate on standard 120 VAC right?????

That being said, any resistance heating device (hair dryer, toaster, cube heater, clothes dryer etc) consumes considerable electrical energy, but Id venture a pure "guess" the Dryer (resistance heater) draws a lot more then the washer (small AC Motor & pump), so it may well be possible to run both of those at the same time on 30 amp 120 volt RV power, assuming no other high current loads such as a microwave or hair dryer or toaster or cube heater are on at the same time. IE if you're using the dryer, there's a chance you CAN NOT run a hair dryer or toaster or cube heater or microwave (subject to load) at the same time on a 30 amp service, BUT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO OPERATE THE WASHER (subject to loads) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if anyone has those same units or has the specs/data on them to determine their actual current draw THEY CAN PROVIDE AN ACURATE ANSWER but I dont have specs or data or load info so this is the best I have to offer.

John T Long retired engineer and rusty on this and no specs or data SO NO WARRANTY

I should have been a little more specific. the washer draws 7 amps and the dryer draws 12 amps. Seems low for the washer, but that is what the table inside the door says.

SKP# 123923

CE, thanks for the info, now I can provide you with more accurate answers: The 7 amps for the washer sounds reasonable, as its just a motor and maybe a pump, while the dryer is a resistance strip heating element plus a motor, and 12 amps @120 volts is 1440 watts about what I'd expect/guess.

To run BOTH at the same time requires 19 amps soooooooooooooooo PROVIDED you're NOT using a microwave or air conditioner or a toaster or coffee maker or cube heater or hair dryer or any other high current device YOU MAY WELL (subject to other loads) BE OKAY ON A 30 AMP SUPPPLY. I would not use AC (around 12 amps) if both are running WELL DUH or any of the aforementioned high current (maybe 8 to 12 amp range) heating devices.

Of course, this assumes each (washer and dryer) are on their own individual (15 or 20 amp, most likely 15) branch circuits fed from your RV's 120 VAC Distribution Panel. I never designed for more then 12 continuous amps on a 15 amp branch circuit nor 16 on a 20 amp branch circuit back in my engineering design days. If I had my "druthers" Id use a 20 amp branch circuit (12 Gauge wire) and a 20 amp rated NEMA 5-20R hard wired spec grade receptacle on the dryer versus a 15 amp or cheap stab lock receptacle which may overheat and fail under high current draws.

There ya go, if I missed something (I usually do grrrrrrrrrrr) the other fine gents can add to or correct me AS IVE NEVER USED AN RV WASHER DRYER SO NO WARRANTY.

John T

Thanks John. With a wife and daughter back in the 80's when most all of us had 30 amps I was very much aware of what curling irons and the likes do to a circuit. I was just curious we are headed to Alaska and the majority of the the parks only have 30 amps and the DW was wondering if she would be able to use the washer and dryer. I think with a little management we will be fine.

Thanks again,

Cary

SKP# 123923

Archived