SB50 Remote

Mariner

Out of the blue my SB50 Remote display has gone dark. Before it happened I heard a clicking noise. Where could that come from? Where should I start to look for a remedy? Would it mean I'm no longer getting power from my solar panels? We're hooked up to 50amp, so I guess I could just unplug and see if there's a drain on the batteries(AGM's). Any advice will be welcome.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

If it was clicking rapidly.. my guess would be the relay (verify that dip switch #12 is in the off position) . Where any of your LED's flashing rapidly before it conked out? That could indicate an overcharge state.. like if you were doing an equalization. Still though... the panel "should" still be active if that were the case.

Are you using a shunt and/or temp sensor?

Could also be a bad connection on the internal or external ground points.

Have you tried to disconnect the panel, let it sit a few minutes, then reconnect to see if it will reset or if the problem repeats itself?

You "should" still be getting juice from your panels... provided it's not a by-product of a blown BS controller.

Are you familiar with how to test the transition current test points?

Something to add is I had a new magnum 2800 PSW installed not to long ago. And right after The SB50 went dark I checked it. It's hot and the fan runs non stop. Coincidence? Where would I find the dip switch? I'm not familiar with testing the system.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

If you're plugged in to shore power your inverter shouldn't be running at all. Curious'r....

So walk us through it. What was the condition of your power systems before all this happened? On shore power? Inverter on/off? Any heavy loads? I'm assuming a 2800 inverter only or inverter/charger? Hybrid? SOC of your batteries prior to this?

Everything was running fine. Everything is still running fine. On shore power. I've never turned my inverter off. No heavy loads. Just your run of the mill Magnum 2800 PSW inverter. Are you saying the inverter shouldn't be running and getting hot enough to need the internal fan to run if on shore power??

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Just your run of the mill Magnum 2800 PSW inverter. Are you saying the inverter shouldn't be running and getting hot enough to need the internal fan to run if on shore power??

I was just trying to clarify what equipment you're running. Correct on the inverter, however, the only 2800w PSW maggy I'm aware of is their inverter/charger.. so it's probably the charger that is running the fans. That's why I asked about your batteries SOC prior to the fault. I'm still not sure if yours is the hybrid or not. If it is, but there are still no heavy loads running then it wouldn't make sense for it to be working so hard if you're batteries are charged and no pass through current is being supplied.

It's either faulting or it's running an equalization. That's why I asked about what your mag display is reading.

If it IS running an equalization then that might account for the dead SB50 if it produced an over-voltage (relatively speaking.. not an actual over-voltage, but it could be interpreted that way by your SB50).. and if it's connected to a shunt.. which I am just going to assume you have installed.

Running an equalization? Does that mean it'll rectify itself? It's been like this since yesterday evening. It is an inverter/charger. So is the SB50 toast? What about a reset of the Magnum?

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I'm assuming a lot and lacking a clear picture of your setup. After verifying exactly what your mag is up to, the first step for me would be to visually inspect all connections, check in-line fuses and any stand alone breaker switches if so equipped. I would then shut down my solar controller, magnum, and disconnect the SB50. Assuming you have a battery meter or remote display on your magnum then I would cycle the controller and mag back up one at a time while monitoring the meter/display.

That's just getting the basics out of the way first.

If all is well.. I would reconnect the SB50 and see if it resets and/or repeats the original fault.

Running an equalization? Does that mean it'll rectify itself? It's been like this since yesterday evening. It is an inverter/charger. So is the SB50 toast?

The equalization will complete it's cycle.. yes. Typically you're SB50 should still be "live" and would indicate an "overvoltage" condition with the LED's. It's also possible though that it may have blown an inline fuse or.. worst case.. it might have toasted the display, but that's not "highly" likely.

The magnum remote is showing a float charge of 13.4v.

That's not it then.

You have a Magnum display? If so, do you have a battery module installed for it? If so, what is the amp reading or what are you using as a battery meter?

Nope not that warm at all here in Myrtle Beach. Checked battery temps and they're fine. The magnum Remote is showing the float at 13.4v and at the far right on that screen it shows 16a. I'm just concerned with the inverter/charger being warm enough to run the fans, and that's with the bay door propped open.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

The magnum Remote is showing the float at 13.4v and at the far right on that screen it shows 16a. I'm just concerned with the inverter/charger being warm enough to run the fans, and that's with the bay door propped open.

I would be too. That's not enough current for the fans to be running continuously. Try shutting off the inverter and check the readings again.

Also the green light on the Magnum inverter blinks off & on about every 10sec. Shouldn't it stay on continuously?

Nope. That means your inverter is in "search mode" or.. "standby". That AC load is below your inverters wattage setting.. meaning.. it's not currently supplying any juice to your rig.

So.. a little concern with the fans running continuously, but with the reading you've posted your mag seems to be operating as it should and shouldn't have anything to do with your SB50 issue.

I would go back to checking connections and any in-line fuses.

Unfortunately I have to leave for a few hours. When I return I'll try your suggestions. I also have the outfit who installed the Magnum coming next tues. morning to check it out. Thanks for all the help.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I guess I should qualify that with.. at present. Just spitballing.. it's "possible" it might have run an equalization earlier.. which might account for a possible SB50 issue and might still be running the fans as a post operation mode cool down. If that IS the case then it's really of no concern as far as your Magnum is concerned. That's just guesswork though of what "could" cause a normally operating mag under a very light load in average ambient temperatures to operate fans continuously.

Where would I find dip switch 12?

On the main circuit board of your actual solar controller. Near the bottom.. about center should be a vertical row of dip switches.

Although it won't hurt anything to verify it's off, I highly doubt that's the issue with your display since your system has been, and continues to be operating normally.

Archived