Tri-Metric Reading

Could use your help understanding the reading I am getting on my Ttri-Metric. I have a Magnum charger inverter, solar system and of course a Tri-Metric.

The Magnum shows battery voltage at 13.4 volts, float charging. The Tri-Metric volt screen matches the Magnum reading of 13.4 volts. What I don't understand is why the tri-metric battery % screen continues to decline. Currently it is at 55% and going down. How could the battery % continue to decline when the voltage readings are 13.4. I confirmed the voltage reading with my Fluke at the battery terminals.

Thanks

Brad

It sounds like the Tri-Metric may be mis-wired. The voltage reading is just that, a direct reading of voltage. But the battery % is based on reading current flow through the shunt. If the shunt is only reading the discharge side of things, than it will think that the battery is being drawn down. This can happen is the charging lead to the battery is located between the shunt and the battery, or is attached directly to the battery. If it is connected this way that the charging current does not pass through the shunt and isn't read correctly.

Is this a new installation??

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. It is an 8 yo installation. I will check the wiring again to be sure nothing is loose. The funny thing is that when we equalize the % comes up or when we have direct sunlight it comes up (solar charge). I thought the % drop could be a sign the batteries are failing, but not so sure if the voltage is showing at 13.4

I tried a Tri-Metric reset by taking out the fuse and re-installing. That also brought the % to 100 and then the slow decline

Any ideas would be helpful

Brad

Idea's? Just a repeat of the first reply, the Trimetric is reading the current going through the shunt to calculate the % of charge.

Is the Trimetric also showing in increase in the number of Amp Hours used? I would expect the AH reading to be increasing as the % of charge is dropping.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived