*A woman asking for directions*

Delinda

Hello everyone! I can use some advice... I'm moving from Sacramento CA to Pierce County Washington and have heard how brutal Shasta's peak is on a loaded moving truck. My daughter moved last week and was stuck along side the highway for over 6 hours. burned up the transmission on a truck with less than 50k miles on it... I was wondering if anyone could tell if the peak is as bad as I've heard, and if so, what's the best route to take to avoid the mountain... Thanks for the help folks ?

The Siskiyou Pass really isn't all that bad. If memory serves, it's a shade over 4,000ft. You can burn up ANY rig if you don't pay attention to tow capacities or exercise good driving habits under tow.

About all you can do to avoid it is head up 101 and cross back over to I-5 once you're beyond the pass.

You have to be kidding me, recommending 36 from Red Bluff to 101.  That road gets down to 1-1//2 lanes in places.  Better to take CA20 from Williams over.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

That pass in I-5 near the OR border is not that bad.  Either the truck had a bad transmission or someone didn't watch the temperature gauge on the truck and down shift when the temp began to climb.  Or perhaps the truck was overloaded. 

There is no reason to go so far out of your way to to go around the pass. 

Keep in mind that while the drive up the Oregon coast on US-101 is a beautiful drive, it is not one to take when all you want to do is get from point A to point B.  There are some short steep climbs with twists and turns along the Oregon coast.  Also several small towns to go through.  Also small towns in CA along 101. You will spend more than the 6 hours your daughter spent on the side of the road taking the coastal route.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Why not just go as far as Weed and then take 97 north to either 138 or 58.  Either  one will avoid the Ashland grade and is a way that many truckers also use.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Archived