GPS interference

Not sure if this applies to anyone here, but just in case your dish uses a GPS (I think the Trav'ler does as well):

My service is DirecTV, and my original receiver is an HR23, almost 10 years old.  I have a MotoSat HD dish, and replaced the controller with an Eagle RE-1 controller two years ago.  It uses a GPS "puck" to set the in initial aiming of the dish.  The "puck" was Velcro'd to the top of the HR23.

My HR23 receiver finally gave up the ghost, so ATT support came out and replaced the HR23 (no longer available) with an HR24 (current version, same size, same features).  Except the HR24 uses SWM, my dish wasn't.  So the ATT service guy replaced the LNB with a SWM unit and used one of the already installed coaxes to bring the feed down.  But now the Controller gave a GPS error code, which resulted in really slow find times.

Turns out the HR24 emits some kind of interference which confuses the GPS.  Simply moving the GPS "puck" to a nearby cabinet (the cable was plenty long enough) solved the problem.

So if your dish uses a GPS and you replace the receiver there is a chance it could interfere with your GPS ability to perform.

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Archived