IDing TPO vs EPDM & Cleaning

mysticmd

Hi - thought I would share this in case it can help someone else. We bought a used KZ; we thought we had an EPDM roof. KZ told us No, it HAS to be a TPO for that year as they used only TPO for several years, and if you see wear there is nothing you can do about it but wash it and replace it. They are only good for about 10 yrs. My heart sank. KZ said Alpha Systems makes both roofing materials, so call them: 574-295-5206, which I did. Missed their return call, but Monica left this message as follows:

If your roof is like orange peel, it is TPO. Just wash it using Dawn, Simple Green. If there is any black on it, that would be mold, you could use Tilex or something with bleach, but you must rinse very very well. EPDM roofing chalks up and feels rubbery and smooth. If you see black and it's not a mold issue, then the rubber is showing through the coating, and you can use any liquid coating product that says specifically it is for EPDM. Neither KZ nor Alpha Systems would make a product recommendation. KZ said they recommend Murphy's Oil Soap for cleaning either roof. So, our customer service rep for our trailer told me incorrect information; but we have what we thought: a rubber roof (EPDM). This is an example of why these forums are great - sharing quality info. Regards.

Archived