Shooting

ChiefJohn

Guys, it is strictly a supply and demand situation. There is no government conspiracy, or buying up of powder, primers, etc by the government. And the DHS and other contracts are a TINY portion of the product produced yearly - well under 7% by most accounts. It is all of US that are causing the shortages. So stop buying up all the ammo so I can get some :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the demand is totally outstripping the supply. Manufacturers are running full bore and we will be paying for that later. running equipment that hard causes problems down the road.

As to the powder situation, the plant that make Hodgden Clays, International Clays and Universal Clays (the powder that I've tried tp standardize on) burned down. I had just sold a couple of extra 8# jugs that I had because that was one I have been able to get steadily. Go figure.

Butch

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

Amen Jack!

Were I a major arms and/or ammunition supplier I would be lobbying once every few years to have a gun control bill proposed. The lemmings/nuts then will predictably come out of the woodwork. I own guns and am against any laws that limit law abiding sane people like me from owning or making it any more difficult. We get a normal reaction to a gun tragedy, which we always defeat or rescind later like some parts of the Brady bill. But now every time the "they are gonna take my guns away!" fringe runs out and buys up all stock.

:lol::rolleyes:

Gun sales spike after every major terror and mass shooting. The difference today is instant communications and the Internet. 1981 and the Brady bill, Columbine, the theater shootings, and now Newtown. People sending Ricin laced letters claiming they are willing to fight and are going to do more harm puts a shameful side to gun owners everywhere. Now that stocks are replenished, might I suggest to those who might want to stockpile weapons and ammo to start now and build up your arsenal a little at a time. Me, naaaaah. I keep the same amount of ammo regardless. But I do wish I had kept all my guns I sold back in 2000 in 2009 and last month or two. I could have sold them to dealers for twice what I got in 2000.

If two boxes of 50 rounds of .40 cal, four boxes of .22 magnum, a brick of .22 lr, and four boxes of 20 ga. Aren't enough for me then a hundred times that will likely run out too. I don't believe in Zombies ending the world, or Mayan calendars doing it. I do believe that religious and political zealots will, as they have throughout history, judge the hearts and minds of others by what they see in the only minds and hearts they can truly see, their own.

Every president has had a massacre during their term and supported limited gun control that either never passed or was overturned later when congress majorities changed. None ever proposed taking away guns, or could, without the support the nation.

Our local stock of guns and ammo was totally wiped out in the last few months and not even the least attractive guns were left at Academy Sports and Bass Pro shops. Literally bare shelves no ammo or guns. I was there yesterday and the gun shelves and ammo are almost back to normal. Being a recreational shooter and gun owner today is like being in a canoe with a person who jumps up and capsizes it at every wave or wake making their fear happen. Self fulfilling prophecy. You can't tell them the reason canoes always capsize when they are in it is because they won't relax when there is no danger. To them there is always a danger, and some people egg them on and they never realize it.

Normally I view the fanatics as contrary to the good of the nation. Fanatics from both sides and the middle. But in this case the run on guns and ammo was a windfall unexpected giant boost in federal taxes collected on the sales, and boosted gun related stocks. So let's continue to help the president balance the budget and buy more guns and ammo!

If I am not there, feel free to continue to buy without me. :rolleyes::lol:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Guys, it is strictly a supply and demand situation. There is no government conspiracy, or buying up of powder, primers, etc by the government. And the DHS and other contracts are a TINY portion of the product produced yearly - well under 7% by most accounts. It is all of US that are causing the shortages. So stop buying up all the ammo so I can get some :)

Amen

@RV I agree with you but this time it seems that the whole situation is ridden a much higher peak than before.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

After Santa Monica get ready for more.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

After Santa Monica get ready for more.

Looks like maybe the shooter ran into the pistol/ammunition supply dilemma as it appears he was carrying a reproduction 44cal 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver.

At least for now, still plenty of black powder and pyrodex available along with reproduction guns for those that don't mind smoke in their eyes.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I caught that on the news, a black gun and a black powder pistol. Now if you could reload with black powder you would have a black black powder gun.

I have an old Dixie Gunworks .36 cal Navy Arms repro and it;s fairly accurate. But keeping it clean???????? Anyway we still have that option open to us since black powder is easy to make. Then all you needs is a bullet mold and as many caps as you can lay your hands on.

I had not given any thought to black powder and caps. The co-pilot would have a cow if I came in with another pistol. I have my Beretta 92FS, 9mm on consignment at the local gun shop. Maybe I just need to bring it home, as a "new" revolver with some black powder.

I agree, stop buying all of the ammo so that I can get some more.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I had not given any thought to black powder and caps...

They are lots of fun to shoot and you probably won't go through so many rounds so fast. Of course you likely will not be welcome at the indoor range and may be banished to the far downwind position at the outdoor range. Some manufacturers like Pietta offer spare cylinders so you can preload. The 1858 Remington, in my opinion, has a clear advantage in switching cylinders as you do not have to pull the frame pin and actually remove the barrel as with the Colts.

Let me see if I have this right. We are now discussing arming ourselves with black powder handguns in an age of cell phones and tablets. A shootout, great gout's of smoke and flame filling the air. One round out of five misfiring. :lol: I saw close ups of the black powder revolver that guy had. It was loaded but there was no grease over the cylinders to prevent flash over.

Let me see if I have this right. We are now discussing arming ourselves with black powder handguns in an age of cell phones and tablets. A shootout, great gout's of smoke and flame filling the air. One round out of five misfiring. :lol: I saw close ups of the black powder revolver that guy had. It was loaded but there was no grease over the cylinders to prevent flash over.

The topic is "shooting". I did not say anything about self defense, although the thousands of people killed with black powder weapons are just as dead as those killed with a modern firearm.

As for arming one's self; while I am not absolutely sure, I do believe that at least for now, with the exception of a few states, you can still buy a black powder revolver, shotgun or rifle by mail order without going through a licensed dealer.

If you have one out of five rounds misfiring, I think it is time to get some new caps or evaluate how you clean your gun that the powder is being compromised. I have never experienced that rate of misfires and I have shot black powder guns for over 50 years(revolver, shotgun and rifle) on the range and in the field rain or shine.

You are correct that there does not appear to be any grease over the balls in the cylinders, but there does not have to be. You can use over powder wads, which are commonly available, not subject to melting like grease, and in my experience more effective in preventing flash over.

• 1 month later...

I've been involved in other things, but have been monitoring this thread -- special thanks to all who have responded. We have thus far not have had any "cussing, fussing, or discussing" on this sometimes volatile subject! :) I'm down to my FiveSeven (5.7x28) reserve and have stayed away from the ranges. Our home state, Illinois, finally passed a Concealed Carry law, no thanks to our current governor whose own party voted against his proposed changes. We're in Elkhart and will be heading to the Virginia Beach area as we make our way south. As Jack stated in a previous post, the supply and demand issues will stabilize as we move on to other issues.

John & Marilyn

2008 Winnebago Vectra ("Mobile Abode"), 2010 Jeep Wrangler

As Jack stated in a previous post, the supply and demand issues will stabilize as we move on to other issues.

I sure hope so, but so far it has not happened. I still can not find even .22LR ammo in this area of CO. I've about exhausted my supply, so shooting is going to slow down...

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

The topic is "shooting". I did not say anything about self defense, although the thousands of people killed with black powder weapons are just as dead as those killed with a modern firearm.

As for arming one's self; while I am not absolutely sure, I do believe that at least for now, with the exception of a few states, you can still buy a black powder revolver, shotgun or rifle by mail order without going through a licensed dealer.

If you have one out of five rounds misfiring, I think it is time to get some new caps or evaluate how you clean your gun that the powder is being compromised. I have never experienced that rate of misfires and I have shot black powder guns for over 50 years(revolver, shotgun and rifle) on the range and in the field rain or shine.

You are correct that there d

oes not appear to be any grease over the balls in the cylinders, but there does not have to be. You can use over powder wads, which are commonly available, not subject to melting like grease, and in my experience more effective in preventing flash over.

Oh my. I guess I'm going to have to use #humor. TCW I've been shooting black powder about the same length of time. Misfires have almost always been a failure of the cap to fire. Not a failure of the powder or how I clean and load my pistol. 1 in 5 may be a bit high but bear in mind... IT WAS A JOKE.

Anyway I've never had any real problems with flash over. I find both thinned beeswax and Crisco work fine and are cheaper than wads.

I personally know people that have 20-30,000.... Yes thousand....rounds of .22LR squirreled away.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Oh my. I guess I'm going to have to use #humor. TCW I've been shooting black powder about the same length of time. Misfires have almost always been a failure of the cap to fire. Not a failure of the powder or how I clean and load my pistol. 1 in 5 may be a bit high but bear in mind... IT WAS A JOKE.

Anyway I've never had any real problems with flash over. I find both thinned beeswax and Crisco work fine and are cheaper than wads.

Ranger I hunt and shoot black powder I have found that some brands of caps make a big difference of miss fires. I use #6 caps

and the only ones I get now are the German brand don't recall the name but its long. I found this out after buying another brand

(might be CVA) but had more miss fires and the cap blew all to peace's when the German ones just split open. This might

matter by directing the fire down the nipple. This might help you out some.

Scott

22 shortage.

Tried to get 22 LR in Minnesota, Kentucky, South Carolina, Nevada and Louisiana.

All were out or wanted ….50 Cents a round.

Finally found a guy in Florida selling for $60. per five hundred. He had a boat load, we got 5k rounds for the four of us, they were mis-matched lead and copper some were hollow point some not. Shot upwards of 300 rounds and had only two miss fires and no stove pipes.

He does ballistic work for some company and had a ton of other calibers. If anyone is interested give me a shout and I will get his number, call and see what he has left, you will make your own deal.

Trucken.

I can buy .22 all day long for $60-$75 a brick...at any gun show. But I'm NOT paying rip-off prices, and I'm REMEMBERING who is ripping people off. They will never have my business again.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The WM here posts on a whiteboard what ammo is coming in and what day. The line starts at 0630...and the counter opens at 0800. All summer there has not been ANY .22 available.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Guest Butch "Toolhead"

I use my Pointer Finger and Rubber Bands. This is how I keep my eyesight sharp. Also I have an unlimited supply of Rubber Bands if anyone needs some. :D

PS:

I look forward to taking my Grandson shooting but we limit our plinking time now.

Oh I can see it now, a rubber band shortage is coming.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Archived