Are You Still In?

Guest cindona

Hi Terry,

Here is part of it: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=What+is+causing+Tesla+share+prices+to+rise+so+fast%3f&view=detail&mid=5493DC32C60E8662C4C45493DC32C60E8662C4C4&FORM=VIRE

Me, I'd buy at anything under $300 a share but that is me, and means I am over Tesla. The old maxim buy on the rumor, sell on the news applies for me.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the rumor is that the stock will hit $1,000 today.  So, if I buy 1,000 shares this morning at $890 and sell this afternoon at news of $1,000, I'll make a smooth $100,000 in one day.  That's more than I made in a month as a first responder..

Now, if I could just get someone to loan me the $890,000 this morning I'd be set.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

49 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

That was a good paying job!!

You made an assumption.  Actually, $100,000 is more than I made in 1 1/2 years at my peak earning time.  My last year to work, I made almost $60,000, the most I'd ever earned in a year.

I stand by my statement, $100,000 is more than I made in a month.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Guilty!!  I'll bet you're relieved that no one loaned you that $890,000!

Wow!  I just looked.................$726.  I'll just have to make do with what I've got for now.

Yep, the rumor was that Tesla would go over $400 in 2018. Then when it dropped to $185 in May 2019. And that's why I said for me it's under $300. If you go back to the beginning of this thread my old buy point was $22.5, and it hit it once more so my holdings rounded up to 800 shares after I sold enough of my original shares to take my money off the table. I'm kicking myself in the butt because I had just enough to buy another 1000 shares when it hit $185 in 2019. I was totally absorbed with my move in May and then selling my house and properties there until I finally got here 1 Nov 2019. I am knee deep in a bathroom remodel, setting up my new home office, building a small workshop, and shopping new furniture. As well just finished getting bids for a service upgrade to 200 amps and the Tesla charger installed. Oh well, I made great money earlier. No complaints.

But this price increase warranted attention because it signaled a major loss for the shorts, whose narrative has been destroyed despite the Koch Brother's, now singular, attacks to defend their oil interests. At the surviving brother's age changing horses now is useless.

I had posted here and elsewhere that Tesla was a buy at under $200. I just could not reverse course and monies that fast.

For new investors just follow the advice of Mr. Warren Buffet to buy low sell high. For some reason folks see an inflated stock price as a signal it's a success, so buy late in a rally and lose. Then folks see a big dip as a signal it will lose more so sell on the way down, or at the bottom. I am staying mostly liquid for the next major recession, and then at bargain basement prices I'll make a large investment in index funds. Too simple? Perhaps.

Hey, I'm military retired and turning 68 this year. Time to spend some. See Asia and Australia/New Zealand, our only bucket list items save another trip this year to Colombia if FARQ is back inactive again. So I'm back to only posting about Tesla.my ACB and NBEV small investment when they were a bit higher than now I'm holding for as long as it takes, or they go bankrupt. I've lost nor gained anything until I sell. I held Tesla for eight years. then had a 15 bagger when I did sell.

The market is all about speculation. But following the herd is always wrong. Just think of the 2008 recession. All or most of those stocks and investments came back even higher. Now folks who bought index funds in the 2008 dip anywhere near bottom are way up today. Some did. I did some funds but not index in 2008/2009. 2010 I bought Tesla. 2018 I sold it to buy my house and Forester. Hindsight I should have bought the Tesla instead of the Forester and three months earlier and I'd have saved $7500.00 of the capital gains tax I paid in 2019! Hindsight! But I wanted the house cash and decided to put off the Tesla until I sold the properties in Louisiana.

It still ended great. Greed has never been a motivator for me.

Tesla stock's wild ride: Madness or visionary investing?

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/04/tesla-stock-price/

Then read the Tesla Myth busters of the usual things anti Tesla Koch and shorts narratives put forth as fact, and are not:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/23/our-new-tesla-myths-page/

Perhaps we are hearing the last of the erroneous short narratives? Nah, haters gonna hate.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 10 months later...

So just last September 8 I bought Tesla again when they dipped. I had expected a dip so put in a buy order for $350 and got shares unexpectedly, in fact it actually went down to almost $300. Now, three months later, Tesla is over $700.00 and my money has doubled if I sold today. I hope some of you bought then too. It has been a very good year indeed for investors. I am staying long Tesla again. In other words no matter how volatile I will stay with it. Last time I had 1000 shares and stayed 8 years long, as outlined in this thread. I am only thinking about cashing them in if I see StarLink IPO and feel good about it. I only invested for a month or so in Solar City and made a few bucks but I never felt good about it. On the other hand I lost on two stocks I felt good about.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

About the only thing 2020 has been good for. Spring dip wasn't as deep or wide as I expected, so I missed some gains there, but I'm riding high at the end of the year.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I actually got rid of a fund that was under performing, used the money to pay off low interest car loan, and am taking the loss again our year end earnings.  Once in a while I manage to stumble into the right timing on things. 😎

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

About the only thing 2020 has been good for. Spring dip wasn't as deep or wide as I expected, so I missed some gains there, but I'm riding high at the end of the year.

I know what you mean. I sat on the sidelines with cash ready to work. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

So just last September 8 I bought Tesla again when they dipped. I had expected a dip so put in a buy order for $350 and got shares unexpectedly, in fact it actually went down to almost $300. Now, three months later, Tesla is over $700.00 and my money has doubled if I sold today. I hope some of you bought then too. It has been a very good year indeed for investors. I am staying long Tesla again. In other words no matter how volatile I will stay with it. Last time I had 1000 shares and stayed 8 years long, as outlined in this thread. I am only thinking about cashing them in if I see StarLink IPO and feel good about it. I only invested for a month or so in Solar City and made a few bucks but I never felt good about it. On the other hand I lost on two stocks I felt good about.

Watch out for a bubble, if it pops it is going to do it fast and it is not going to be pretty. 

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

Watch out for a bubble, if it pops it is going to do it fast and it is not going to be pretty. 

Agree, bought gold and silver, and am now considering bitcom.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

Ryno, it just came up in Kirk's thread about Nio are you still holding it? I sure wish I had listened to your advice to buy it and hold it. I discounted it because it was like 2 or 4 bucks a share. While I am looking at the new Chinese brands I posted about last, XPENG seems the most likely to climb. But I am holding off a bit there too. It is selling about the same price as Nio give or take. It has been stagnant at ~$40-42 for about 8 months now. I believe they will all rise in the next few months, Tesla, Nio, and Xpeng.

What do you guys think?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 8/11/2021 at 5:07 PM, RV_ said:

Hey guys,

Ryno, it just came up in Kirk's thread about Nio are you still holding it? I sure wish I had listened to your advice to buy it and hold it. I discounted it because it was like 2 or 4 bucks a share. While I am looking at the new Chinese brands I posted about last, XPENG seems the most likely to climb. But I am holding off a bit there too. It is selling about the same price as Nio give or take. It has been stagnant at ~$40-42 for about 8 months now. I believe they will all rise in the next few months, Tesla, Nio, and Xpeng.

What do you guys think?

I’m also in LI. But I think NIO is the best. Battery exchanges instead of sitting and waiting to charge and you can lease the battery lowering the cost of the car. Plus NIO is becoming a lifestyle. There service is top notch. If it gets to $38-$39 I’m buying a crap load more. BABA is also a smoking buy right now.

Edited by rynosback

Thanks Ryno!

Interesting reading on Li, I'll do some more reading on both:

Excerpt Li:

"BEIJING, China, Aug. 02, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Li Auto Inc. (Nasdaq: LI) (“Li Auto” or the “Company”), an NEV automaker in China, today announced the launch of its global offering (the “Global Offering”) of 100,000,000 Class A ordinary shares of the Company, which comprises a Hong Kong public offering of initially 10,000,000 Class A ordinary shares commencing on August 3, 2021, Hong Kong time (the “Hong Kong Public Offering”) and an international offering of initially 90,000,000 Class A ordinary shares commencing today (the “International Offering”), and dual-primary listing of its Class A ordinary shares on the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (the “Hong Kong Stock Exchange”) under the stock code “2015.”

The Company’s American depositary shares (the “ADSs”), each representing two Class A ordinary shares of the Company, will continue to be listed and traded on the Nasdaq Global Select Market (“Nasdaq”). Investors in the Global Offering will only be able to purchase Class A ordinary shares and will not be able to take delivery of ADSs. Upon listing of the Class A ordinary shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the Class A ordinary shares listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange will be fully fungible with the ADSs listed on Nasdaq.

The initial number of Class A ordinary shares under the Hong Kong Public Offering and the International Offering represent 10% and 90% of the total number of Class A ordinary shares initially available under the Global Offering, respectively, subject to reallocation and over-allotment. Subject to the level of oversubscription in the Hong Kong Public Offering and pursuant to the claw back mechanism, as described in the Hong Kong prospectus to be issued by the Company in Hong Kong dated August 3, 2021, the total number of Class A ordinary shares available under the Hong Kong Public Offering could be adjusted to up to a maximum of 50,000,000 Class A ordinary shares, representing 50% of the Class A ordinary shares initially available under the Global Offering. In addition, the Company expects to grant the international underwriters an over-allotment option to require the Company to issue up to an additional 15,000,000 Class A ordinary shares in the International Offering, representing 15% of the total number of Class A ordinary shares initially available under the Global Offering.

The offer price for the Hong Kong Public Offering (the “Hong Kong Offer Price”) will be no more than HK$150.00 per Class A ordinary share (the “Maximum Hong Kong Offer Price”), or US$19.29, per Class A ordinary share (equivalent to US$38.58 per ADS). The offer price for the International Offering tranche of the Global Offering (the “International Offer Price”) may be set higher than, or the same as, the Maximum Hong Kong Offer Price. The Company will set the International Offer Price on or about August 6, 2021, Hong Kong time, by taking into consideration, among other factors, the closing price of the ADSs on the Nasdaq on the last trading day on or before August 6, 2021 and investor demand during the marketing process. The final Hong Kong Offer Price will be set at the lower of the final International Offer Price and the Maximum Hong Kong Offer Price of HK$150.00 per Class A ordinary share. The shares will be traded in board lots of 100 Class A ordinary shares.

The Company plans to use the net proceeds from the Global Offering for research and development of HPC BEV technologies, platforms, and future models, intelligent vehicle and autonomous driving technologies, and future EREV models; expansion of production capacity, retail stores, delivery and servicing centers, roll-out of HPC network, and marketing and promoting; and working capital and other general corporate purposes.

Goldman Sachs (Asia) L.L.C. and China International Capital Corporation Hong Kong Securities Limited are the Joint Sponsors, Joint Global Coordinators, Joint Bookrunners, and Joint Lead Managers for the proposed Global Offering. UBS AG Hong Kong Branch is the Financial Advisor, Joint Global Coordinator, Joint Bookrunner, and Joint Lead Manager for the proposed Global Offering.

The International Offering is being made only by means of a preliminary prospectus supplement dated August 2, 2021 and the accompanying prospectus included in an automatic shelf registration statement on Form F-3 filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) on August 2, 2021, which automatically became effective upon filing. The registration statement on Form F-3 and the preliminary prospectus supplement are available at the SEC website at: http://www.sec.gov.

https://apnews.com/press-release/GlobeNewswire/technology-business-li-auto-inc-fe0e7d03aee940747cca71d5dac3fd28

Alibaba's chart looks like a buy there may be timed right too. No one can timed the bottoms either.

Excerpt BABA:

"In the case of BABA stock, it went from around $180.00 in March 2020 to nearly $320.00 in October 2020. Not bad considering that Alibaba was already commanding hundreds of billions of dollars of market cap to begin with.

But, as we know now, BABA stock’s uptrend came to a rather abrupt stop after peaking last October. It then went on a downward journey. And that journey has persisted for quite a while.

Take a look at the chart below. Today, Alibaba stock trades at $199.28 apiece. That’s around 25% lower compared to where it was 12 months ago.

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) Stock Chart

BABA-Aug-5-1024x453.png

Chart courtesy of StockCharts.com

So, how is the company’s business doing?

Well, in the second quarter of 2021, Alibaba generated RMB205,740 million (US$31,865 million) of total revenue, representing a 34% increase year-over-year. That’s a pretty solid growth rate, even by e-commerce industry standards. (Source: “Alibaba Group Announces June Quarter 2021 Results,” Alibaba Group Holding Ltd, August 3, 2021.)

And remember how I mentioned that the company has over 900 million annual active customers in China?"

More here:

https://www.profitconfidential.com/technology/alibaba-group-holding-ltd-be-greedy/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Hey I will read all you have. Post the links here for all to read in threads about each. Thanks Ryno.

With the US about to make MJ federally legal for banking etc. Pot stocks will make a resurgence. But I am not qualified to make a call one way or another.

I don't gamble so those stocks are out. No moral objection but my wife worked at on and the odds are not to my liking. I used to take visitors to the boats when we were in Louisiana and just bought four rolls of nickels and usually made some for Lynda to lose. Now they give you cards so spacing my nickel drops making the machine think it was a new player won't work anymore but that shows how long ago we actually went in one. We are boring homebodies after being all over the world as AF brats and then 27 years on my career including seven years in Europe, then 7 years of full time RVing 1997-2003 doing everything West of the Mississippi, and from Mexico up to and including Alberta Canada, B.C. Canada, and Alaska. Retired we are happy to hang out with each other.

When you're married 49 years as we will be September 6th of this year, active duty and "Brats" most of our lives, my SH and I are best buddies. We are soulmates.

Thus our emphasis of owning not making payments which is our home base security.

I'm looking forward to your observations.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Tesla is getting investigated for Autopilot complaints and just dropped $30  along with lots of other tech stocks.

Tesla Autopilot Probed by U.S. Over Collisions at Crash Scenes

Excerpt:

“Most incidents took place after dark and the crash scenes encountered included scene-control measures such as first-responder vehicle lights, flares, an illuminated arrow board and road cones,” the agency said in the document. “The involved subject vehicles were all confirmed to have been engaged in either Autopilot or Traffic Aware Cruise Control during the approach to the crashes.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-16/tesla-autopilot-investigated-again-by-u-s-over-crashes-ap-says

I use autopilot and if in the dark and approaching first responder lights or accident scenes no way would I not tap the brakes which shuts off autopilot and take over control. Autopilot is not FSD! Dang!

This is what makes Tesla stock volatile. Follow the news as it unfolds.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Darryl, I'll bite, who?

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Darryl, I'll bite, who?

I've always heard it whenever stock markets were brought up. I thought you might know who it was attributed to. Bing doesn't seem to know.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Beats me, not one I have heard. "Buy low sell high" is one I know. Also "Buy on the rumor, sell on the news." I have consistently bought Tesla low and sold high so it works for me. Bad news will generate lower stock prices so it makes sense assuming you wait until the bad news cycle looks like it has bottomed. Of course no one can time the market. On Tesla's last big dip last year I guessed I would see it get to $350 a share from the previous over $2000 a share just a few weeks before the stock split in 2020. It actually got down to $320 or so but I was happy. It then went up to $900 and has settled at about $700 for several weeks. Close is as good as I can do and not even close sometimes.🙂

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Interesting search!

I believe the paraphrased origin was Nathan Rothschild, although phrased a bit differently:

"But they also speculated on the stock market. And here, as the armies closed in for the final
confrontation at Waterloo, Nathan’s family connections gave him a crucial advantage.
In an age before the instant transmission of information across the world, the Rothschilds had
a network of agents across Europe in place to send news of key events such as the battle back
to London. On the afternoon of June 18 1815, Nathan learnt of Wellington’s victory.
Realising that other investors remained ignorant of the battle’s outcome, he sold heavily on
the stock market. Other traders followed suit. But later the same day, still before other
investors had learnt of Wellington’s victory, Nathan quietly bought almost the entire stock
market at incredibly low prices. When the news eventually emerged, the market rocketed,
netting Nathan a fortune.

He is said to have coined the maxim “Buy on the sound of cannons, sell on the sound of
trumpets”.

https://www.ritcap.com/sites/default/files/The Telegraph - How to invest like the Rothschild dynasty.pdf

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998