CLASS OF 2016

Don,

Sounds like you are moving right along. We had three vehicles so quite a few months ago we sold the 2014 VW Bug as it could only be towed on a dolly and we didn't want to do that. That turned out to be a good move as it was a diesel. :wacko: Actually it was a great car with great mileage and acceleration, but the issue with VW altering the emissions has hurt the resale value. Usually we are on the other end of these things, but this time it worked out. We tow our Ford Edge which is working out great. We got the dealer to include a Blue Ox hitch, base plate and installation in our deal so fortunately, I didn't have to worry about any of the installation.

I like the Zillow listing approach. I wasn't aware that you could do that. We may have to give that a try when we are ready. Also congrats to your wife Jane. I know she will enjoy it.

We are enjoying everything about it and the traveling too. We have a short trip next month to see my mother in Illinois and then back through SC to the Freightliner Service Center in Gafney for the year service on the chassis. It's funny how they figure the date. It is not when you bought it, but when it was made so ours is due in May of 2016 even though we bought it last October. That's ok though because it will have 8000 miles on it and it should be serviced. These things aren't like cars that you can fudge on the service. Pay me now or pay me later!

As far as the balloon festival is concerned we are already booked for that through the Newmar Kountry Klub. It was pricey but it is something I have wanted to do for a long time as a photographer. We camp in the VIP section adjacent to the launch field for 6 days and 5 nights. We plan to leave August 1st. and go through Illinois to visit my mother and then to Michigan for a month then we will work our way to Pueblo, CO for the international Newmar Rally and then to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta. Once we leave there we are going to visit a few sites in New Mexico and then end up at the Hoots (iRV2) rally in Texas. Finally, we will work our way home. At least that's the plan. :D

Later....

Steve and Liz
2016 Newmar Ventana 4041 DP
2011 Ford Edge, Blue Ox Aventa Tow Bar

http://fulltimingit.com

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am finally retired Feb. 26th 2016 been moving stuff out to the 5er since the weather has been warm.

I have knee replacement on March 28th need everything to go good and I need to heal fast so I can get to my summer work camping job. :)

Today I had new tires put on my truck I still need to get ball joints replaced one side and an alignment then the truck will ready.

I have a phone interview in a couple days for a work camping job in Mission Texas for the winter not really where I was thinking of going but I like the job description and I checked out the campground on line it seems like a nice campground.

that's my update

Where is your summer work camping job?

• 2 weeks later...

We're almost one month into our trip and still going strong! It's amazing how quickly you learn once you just got out there and go. The resources are endless... and this forum is especially helpful in answering more specific inquiries.

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

Hi all,

I want to join in this class. I'm in the process of transitioning into my Class B RV. After tons of planning, seems feel like they are finally moving along. I've spent the last week living in my van in my driveway, with one over-night trip to get out of town a bit in it. Things are going good.

I recently discovered that my water pump was leaking, so that put me back to using the house for showers while I am waiting for the new one to come, but I am OK with that. I am glad to be taking care of it before I hit the road. But then I started thinking, what would I have done if this happened when I was living in the van full time? Then I thought, I could put a towel under it to soak up the leaks, or get a motel, or head straight to the nearest RV parts place or probably any number of other things.

I'm kind of planning on a slow transition. I have plans to start doing a few repairs on the house in a couple of weeks and getting it ready to sell. I just recently joined as an official Escapees member and plan to sign up for mail service in Texas next week and start working on my domicile stuff for there.

I've also gotten a website going to document my travels but also to share other things I find valuable in life. I'm passionate about so many things that I didn't want to start a site that was strictly travel topics as I want to write about what I'm excited about at the time.

So, I feel like things are really coming together and my vision is starting to become reality.

-Kyla

Class B, 1984 Dodge Xplorer van by Frank Industries.

Follow my life and travels at my blog, Live Hoppy. :)

Hi all,

I want to join in this class. I'm in the process of transitioning into my Class B RV. After tons of planning, seems feel like they are finally moving along. I've spent the last week living in my van in my driveway, with one over-night trip to get out of town a bit in it. Things are going good.

I recently discovered that my water pump was leaking, so that put me back to using the house for showers while I am waiting for the new one to come, but I am OK with that. I am glad to be taking care of it before I hit the road. But then I started thinking, what would I have done if this happened when I was living in the van full time? Then I thought, I could put a towel under it to soak up the leaks, or get a motel, or head straight to the nearest RV parts place or probably any number of other things.

I'm kind of planning on a slow transition. I have plans to start doing a few repairs on the house in a couple of weeks and getting it ready to sell. I just recently joined as an official Escapees member and plan to sign up for mail service in Texas next week and start working on my domicile stuff for there.

I've also gotten a website going to document my travels but also to share other things I find valuable in life. I'm passionate about so many things that I didn't want to start a site that was strictly travel topics as I want to write about what I'm excited about at the time.

So, I feel like things are really coming together and my vision is starting to become reality.

-Kyla

Welcome Kyla!

Good luck to you. I applaud your adventurous spirit. Although we are retired, it seems that adventure attracts all ages. We are also in a slow process of working our way into the full timer realm. Currently, we are half timers. We are on the road for two or three months and then back home for a couple and then on the road again. If we stay home long enough to get rid of some stuff, we should put our house on the market later this year or early next. I think you will find a lot of support from this group and you might want to check out Xscapers as there are a lot of young people involved with them and they are affiliated with Escapees.

Keep that website going. It looks great and writing posts (and poems) is a great expressive outlet. I might suggest that you try to get your van in tip top shape before you hit the road for any extended travel. We are fairly new to RV'ing but I can tell you it is much easier to fix and replace things at home than it is on a road, especially in some secluded spot. :)

Safe Travels to you and Hoppy.

Edited by SteveandLiz

Steve and Liz

Thanks you SteveandLiz. Adventure does seem to attract all kinds and ages. :) So, I have to ask, when you're traveling, do you worry about your house and stuff without you there to look out for it? I travel for business a fair bit and it makes me a little nervous being gone. Plus, most of my trips are only 2 weeks, but it seems like I get home and the weeds have grown, the plants are half dead and I have a bunch of trash that's blown into the yard. I did check the box to also be an Xcaper when I signed up as an Escapee, but I haven't really gone any further with that.

Thanks for the comments on my site... the poems are a bit silly maybe, but it's kind of a fun challenge to try to write one to go with any given topic. By the way, I checked out your site and just got done reading your post about the bees in the fan. I admit it brought a slight chuckle at one point thinking about the bees flying out of there when you turned the fan on, but I also felt really bad for you having to clean them out. Having just installed an identical fan, it made me think I need to be on the lookout! I'm trying to figure out how one would get bees out without making a mess and haven't come up with any brilliant ideas yet.

I do hope to fix everything up before hitting the road. I also know that no matter how much I fix now, stuff is gonna break when I'm traveling and that will be part of it. I just got the parts in for the new water pump from Amazon today, so hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow to tackle that project.

-Kyla

Edited by TripKitty

Kyla,

We are fortunate that we live in a neighborhood that has very little problems with crime so that isn't an issue and we have our neighbors keep an eye on the house. They will either take care of the issue or give us a call depending on the problem. So far so good. We keep our fingers crossed when we are gone for several months at a time. Since we live in the south, we do have to have a lawn service take care of the mowing, spraying and bush trimming most of the year. Once we sell the house, it will be like getting a pay raise for us.

If I have the bee problem again, I will turn the fan on low and help some of them get out of there without smashing them. The rest will have to find their way out or perish, and once they are lifeless I will just remove the screen and empty them into the trash. That should keep me from making another mess. I could also put some Maxx Air Vent covers over them, but just haven't taken the time. It makes life interesting.

Good luck to you and keep the faith. Keep in touch with all of us hear on the forum. It's a great life!! :D

Steve and Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Two more weeks before wife and I hit the road headed east to Massachusetts for the summer. Wife retired 2 weeks ago and I retire Apr 29. We plan to leave from northern NM about May 2. We will be full-timing, but keeping our place as a home base.

We have our rig all together which is a 2005 Hitchhiker 5th pulled by a 2016 Ram 3500 srw. Can't wait to get going. We're volunteers for the summer at a COE facility in MA. Hope the COE does not work us too hard. See you on the road!

Things are moving a bit faster than I anticipated but it's working out fine. I thought I would be full-timing in July but my house sold fast and my girls and I are now living in our RV in a local RV park until July 1st. It has actually worked out to our benefit as the work the local RV service department (CW) did on my Blue Ox setup turned out to be quite an ordeal. I am still working with that company to get issues resolved, but that's another story....

I started out with what I thought were the necessary items to keep in the RV, but over the last two weeks I've realized most of the necessary things aren't necessary and take up valuable space. I sold every thing I own and the remains of 50 years of accumulation are now inside a 26ft RV. It's amazing to see the results of the things I thought I needed be eliminated on a daily basis. I still have a ways to go in the next few months. but I can see progress.

This is an exciting part of my journey and it's nice to read where other folks are at in this Class of 2016.

Maggie Blair

Congrats Maggie!.....we're right behind you. Had the house on the market for 2 months and just got a firm offer last week. Closing date of 5/19 which is much quicker than we anticipated. We will be moving into campground on 5/16 and will reside local until the end of June when I will be done working. Hubby is already retired. Can not wait! We will head to western PA for the summer because my parents are 90 and 88 and we just need to spend some quality time there for once and then headed to GA for winter. Hopefully workamping next summer! Excited to get started!!!

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

Knee replacement surgery is over ( March 28th) I'm healing pretty good :) I have physical therapy until mid May.

I lost my work camping job in Wisconsin because I couldn't get there until the end of May :( so I decided to

make it work without work camping this summer but I'm finding campgrounds in Wisconsin and Illinois are not snow bird friendly the rates are very expensive (650.00 and up + electric) and limited monthly sites. I did find two one in Illinois and in Wisconsin the rates are under 500.00 + electric so I'll split my summer between the two until Sept. when I start heading to Texas.

May 1st I get my 5th wheel out of storage and start my full time living adventure :)

Mike
2007 Montana 3500rl
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

event.png

Hi guys/gals!

R. Walter- I'm NM based too, at least for the moment but more in the central part of the state.

I got back a few days ago from a week long trip with the van. I spent a couple days with it at a yoga retreat and then a few days visiting a friend and doing some maintenance on it. It was nice to have it out and get a taste of life on the road! I got quite a bit fixed up on it- put in a new water pump, took apart the propane parts for the fridge and cleaned everything since it was having trouble staying lit, installed a 12v 'cigarette lighter' outlet that runs off of the auxiliary battery instead of the car battery so I can at least charge my phone or whatever when off grid (I also have a couple of backup batter packs that will charge my phone, but the trick is keeping them charged!). Also changed the fuel and air filters, cleaned the carburetor (yep, it's an old vehicle), added brake fluid and bled the brakes. So, lots of maintenance, but I'm learning how to do as much of it myself as I can.

I hope to make some progress this week on establishing a Texas mailing address with SKPs and also getting some quotes for some repairs that need done on my house before I can put it on the market. An exciting time!

-Kyla

I'm joining the class 2016. In the process of selling the house, selling furniture on Craigslist, packing a little each day. When we start out our first stop will be in Glendale AZ to set up my youngest son in an apartment. Then heading to MN to visit my other son, and then I will spend a month in ND visiting my mother. After that I can go anywhere my heart desires. So excited.

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

Congrats Maggie!.....we're right behind you. Had the house on the market for 2 months and just got a firm offer last week. Closing date of 5/19 which is much quicker than we anticipated. We will be moving into campground on 5/16 and will reside local until the end of June when I will be done working. Hubby is already retired. Can not wait! We will head to western PA for the summer because my parents are 90 and 88 and we just need to spend some quality time there for once and then headed to GA for winter. Hopefully workamping next summer! Excited to get started!!!

Awesome! It sounds like we are exactly the same place. Enjoy your journey and have fun in PA with your parents.

Is the weather nice in GA in the winter? What area is the best for full-timers?

Maggie Blair

I am one more step closer to going Full Time ... I passed the tests for my Texas Class B Driver's License. Thanks to everyone here with great information to help. The remaining step now is to get the house sold.

--

Roger Wilson

Callsign: W0GER

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40'

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I am one more step closer to going Full Time ... I passed the tests for my Texas Class B Driver's License. Thanks to everyone here with great information to help. The remaining step now is to get the house sold.

Would renting your house work out for you as far as making it easier to hit the road?

Awesome! It sounds like we are exactly the same place. Enjoy your journey and have fun in PA with your parents.

Thanks Maggie! From what I hear where we are going, we will still have some cooler temps and a little snow, but not like here in PA. We're staying in Hiawassee GA and Longridge. Since we're from PA, I really don't want to go somewhere that we never see snow. I still like it, just don't want it quite as cold with being in a camper. :) Take care and hope we meet up somewhere! Good luck to you!

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

Getting geared up for fulltiming starting May 16.

This has been our timeline:

March 2015 - Bought a used Northwood Nash TT

The reSt of 2015 and into 2016 - fixed up trailer and took test trips; sold our personal belongings

March 2016 - quit our Megacorp jobs and retired early

March 2016 - listed house and sold it quickly

April 30 - our final estate sale (not much left )

May 2 - head to Bushnell to set up domicile

May 16 - close on sale of house in Atlanta and start heading west!

It's been a long year. I can't believe we're almost ready to graduate to fulltime!

Winter weather in Georgia is very pleasant. Can get snowy in the mountains. State Parks in GA are some of the best. The COE campgrounds are very nice as well.

I'll be hitting the road in 2016. Getting another pre-fulltime item off my check list .... at Tiffin Service Center in Red Bay, AL getting recalls taken care of. The only item remaining on the check-list is getting the house sold. Showings per week is starting to increase and I fully expect once school gets out to get an offer fairly soon.

May your roads be smooth and the wind always at your back.

--

Roger Wilson

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40'

Progress seems to be crawling along for me. I think I am putting off some things because I feel a little overwhelmed by it all. I need to just push myself and move past that. I have had the van out for a couple of 1-night trips that have been amazing. Whenever I am out in the middle of nowhere with a great view, I know it is the life for me.

I did just get my new Texas SKP address, so I can start sending mail to that and lining up things for changing my domicile. Not sure when I will really be full-time, but I would rather start getting the logistics for that worked out now. I have also found somebody to do some of the work the house needs before I can list it, but it will be a few weeks before he can start on it, so just kind of in a holding pattern there.

The other next big thing is moving the cats in with family, which is one of the things that I think I'm kind of putting off. I am going to miss them!

I guess it will all come together with a little more time.

I made some more progress this past week, I finally got the paperwork together and got it over to Escapee's for my Texas mailing addresses. Since I'm already a Texas resident, once the house sells, it's just a change of address from one county to another. I've got the link to update the driver's license address and to change voter registration. Should be a fairly smooth process.

I'm still at the Tiffin Service Center, found a couple of warranty items need to be addressed that I didn't even know about :-). For anyone with a Tiffin Motorhome, I really suggest a trip out here, very good folks who are extremely knowledgeable about how the motorhomes are built. Great parts store where you can pretty much get anything your motorhome needs.

--

Roger Wilson

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40'

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: House went under contract 5/20 after 8 days on market and at our asking price. Expect we'll be closed and full time in RV just prior to heading to Escapees rally & bootcamp. Gaining momentum now! Been spending as much time as possible in our new Mountain Aire and getting used to it. Haven't got where we want to put everything yet, but it's coming together.

Cheers,

Don