Class of 2013 is awful quiet

archer

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're winding down our first winter as fulltimers and getting ready to head for the pacific n/w for our next big adventure.

We ended up spending 3 months in the Houston area, then going to Rockport for a month, and now, one last month back here at Dickinson. While I agree that Advance Resort is a very nice place, it would have put a much bigger dent in our wallet than Green Caye has and we'll probably be back at Green Caye for a few months next year.

For now, we're looking forward to heading out for places like Albquerque, Cortez, CO, Moab, UT, and then across Idaho, and points northwest. From the nw corner of the US we'll work our way down the coast before returning to Texas sometime after Thanksgiving.

At least that's the plan!

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

We started on the road in August although we had been living fulltime in the RV before that. We started in Las Vegas, headed west to San Diego to visit our youngest son and then east stopping in Texas to visit friends in Georgetown, daughter in Kingsville & brother in Beaumont. On to Louisiana for Thanksgiving with mom in Walker. Christmas at Pensacola Florida and have been in Central Florida since January. Like many others really like this part of Florida and may look to purchase here in the future. We like Pensacola as well but the climate here is slightly more favorable. We are keeping our options open as still lots to see and do.

Currently in Orlando for another two weeks before we start north along the East coast. First stop Jacksonville. Hoping to reach Niagara Falls about August and will then start to head south to Texas. Still trying to decide whether to come back to Florida next winter or head to the west.

We got to Florida and our son in San Diego told us he was getting married before his ship deploys this month and so we flew back to San Diego in March for the wedding. Timing was good and we had repairs done to the motorhome while we were gone.

So far, we are enjoying ourselves and learning there is no rush and we are not on vacation but actually retired and living in our house on wheels.

Moved into the trailer full-time on Feb.1st, stayed in Southern Cal. until May 1st. to finish last minute details. Two weeks in Forth Worth area to visit family then off to North Carolina & Virginia for the summer to ride our Motorcycle through the beautiful Smokey Mountains. September we left for Minnesota via the Great River Road to visit family before heading to the Black Hills for some more great riding. Left Minnesota for Southwest Colorado then a couple of months in Arizona for the wonderful weather. Now back in So. Cal. with "Hitch Itch". Leaving next week for a month in Gold Country,Western Sierra's to ride some more twisty roads. May will find us in Red Bluff, Ca. before heading into Oregon and Idaho for the summer. 15,000 miles on the truck and 7,000 on the bike last year, and we loved every mile. Sounds as if the 2013 class is enjoying the lifestyle.

Enjoy the journey and be safe,

Steve & Debby

Steve & Debby
Where the weather's right
2004 Country Coach Allure Newport
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2012 Harley Ultra Limited

We decided to stay in the gate guard business for awhile. Allow us to build up some funds to build an HDT to pull with. Planning on taking a week off in June to make a run to FL, then in Sept to run to NC for Dr. apps and family.

Safe travels!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We are approaching the one year date for moving into the 5er, We will head to Maine for the summer in a few more weeks and back south for the winter.

Next week we will heag to Georgetown, TX and visit relatives, then Johnson City for Easter and up to Tulsa for a week and then off to the northeast.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I second that thought. It was getting quiet again, hence the prodding. It sure does sound like this FT lifestyle is suiting everyone who has responded. It still would be nice to hear from a few more.

I do plan on keeping up with the correspondence with y'all and wish everyone happy and safe travels this summer!

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• 2 weeks later...

We have had our present coach for 14 months now and finally getting all the items on the punch list done. Then something new pops up. Been living in it full time since last June. Just finished replacing all the tile and carpet with engineered wood. Ernie Eckberg did the job and it's great.

We' left our old home in the Pocono Mts of PA (just in time considering this last winter) and have spent the winter in AZ, 6 weeks at Happy Trails in Phoenix and 6 weeks at SKP Saguaro Co-op in Benson. Was in Quartzsite for two weeks - decided we don't like dry camping in the desert.

We've paid our deposit and are now on the "hot list" to lease a space here at Benson. We really like the winter weather here.

We leave here 2MAY for Moab and then on to OR, BC, and east to PA for a visit with the grand sons-and their parents.

Leave PA and back to AZ for the OCT balloon fest.

This full timing is great. Just wish we had started 10 years ago.

Chet & Laurie

Full time in a 45' Monaco Signature

towing 2014 Jeep GC diesel

Ya know... after decades of meetings, schedules, time frames, projects, budgets, deadlines... and the absolute worst - pagers...

This lifestyle is great.

Jim

Couldn't agree more!

After doing the total remodel of the house prior to sale and then feeling like I'm on a long vacation, I'm finally beginning to feel retired. I DO NOT miss work.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

In 2 weeks we leave central Florida and head to Colorado for a 4 month Camp Host position at Crawford SP. We are really excited about this great adventure. Just finishing everything up here. Gotta get the meds scripts refilled as much as possible, stock up with a few things for the trip.

We will be staying at both paid campsites and free sites (wally worlds and Camping World). Gonna stop and see daughter and grandkids for a couple of days on the way. We would stay longer, but they really would have liked us to start May 1st. We will be arriving May 8th.

Work, we do not remember what that 4 letter word even means! Halleluiah!

Yes Jim, we are very fortunate. All those that do not know of this lifestyle do not know what they are missing.

I've often said, in the almost a year that we have been FT, we have met more people, that have become our friends, than we did in the preceeding 15 years living in a SB house. Much of that was because we were so busy making a living that we did not have time to socialize with our neighbors. We love this!

Thanks Jim. And the same to all.

We just hit the ground at Three Lakes RV Resort near Hudson, FL. Will be here a week, then moving on.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

For anyone interested, there is a new website called Rvillage which has a great tool to locate your friends and group members. There is a group for the Class of 2013. The link to the site is rvillage.com

There is a landing page on this forum for RVillage and multiple Escapees BOFs and Chapters also have groups - http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=96.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

For anyone interested, there is a new website called Rvillage which has a great tool to locate your friends and group members. There is a group for the Class of 2013. The link to the site is rvillage.com

I tried to join, but it did not accept any of the multiple passwords I generated and tried, though all were longer than 6 characters and including letters and numbers. It appears there are some additional password constraints that are not disclosed.

Edit: The issue has been fixed and I was able to join.

2009 43' Dutch Aire, Spartan Mountain Master GT, Cummins ISL 425 HP, Onan 10KW diesel, 2014 Jeep Cherokee V6 Trailhawk, Blue Ox Aventa LX, Roadmaster base plate, Unified tow brake

• 3 weeks later...

On a sad note, we had to divert during our trip to Colorado, my 81 year old mother passed away unexpectedly and quite suddenly. We could not get here in time to say a last good-bye. We are now in NY and will be for a while. We had to cancel Colorado for this year. We are both overwhelmed right now. I guess in about a month or so we will head back toward Florida. We will stop along the way to see a few sites, but with the added expense of the funeral and helping dad get everything set up it's just not viable to continue to Colorado this year. Bummer all the way around. It's been hard. We traveled over 1100 miles from Memphis to Binghamton, NY in 2 days. My body is just not ready for that any more. Plus all the emotional stresses!

Sorry I just had to vent a little.

On a sad note, we had to divert during our trip to Colorado, my 81 year old mother passed away unexpectedly and quite suddenly. We could not get here in time to say a last good-bye. We are now in NY and will be for a while. We had to cancel Colorado for this year. We are both overwhelmed right now. I guess in about a month or so we will head back toward Florida. We will stop along the way to see a few sites, but with the added expense of the funeral and helping dad get everything set up it's just not viable to continue to Colorado this year. Bummer all the way around. It's been hard. We traveled over 1100 miles from Memphis to Binghamton, NY in 2 days. My body is just not ready for that any more. Plus all the emotional stresses!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take your time on trip to Florida and be kind to yourselves.

Shirley & Neil
F350 and 2015 Open Range Light 318RLS
Winston, 2008 Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Nellie, 2010 Scottish Terrier

Medico, we are sorry for you loss... these things are hard, especially when unexpected... and no matter how old 'we' are when a loved one passes. Seems like we never stop being our parents children.

Best wishes

Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Thank you so much guys. I do appreciate the thoughts.

Right now we are looking into storing the coach up near dad's house somewhere and moving in with him for a month or 2. Looks promising for the fire station down the road. I was a volunteer firefighter for many years in a neighboring company and grew up in the town where my parents have lived for 62 years. I think this will work. Dad is not able to do his own bills or medication, or shopping so this will help a lot.

We just got back to the coach from the funeral. That was HARD! Well time for a cup of joe and relaxation.

If he is healthy enough you might want to look for an assisted living place for him, they won't do the bills but they make life pretty good without the nursing-home atmosphere. Trudy's dad was overjoyed to get out of his house and into assisted living, good food, pills managed, things cleaned and best of all people to talk to and socialize with instead of being alone with the TV all the time.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I just saw it too Medico. Sorry for your loss. Don't forget to take care and be good to yourself for the next few months.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

Archived