Class of 2013 is awful quiet

archer

Ron, we were at Green Caye at Dickinson - it's in the right place and the price is right, but more of a residential park than a RV park.

We have one child in the Woodlands and another in League City. We enjoyed staying in Galveston, but it was a little too far away from the Gkids in League City. We are trying to find a good park on that side of town, but after driving through Green Caye we weren't sure. Will you use it again? North Lake is opening another park near the Bass Pro on 288, it will be very nice but pricey.

Ron & Liz

2013 F-350 Crew Cab Short bed

2013 Blackwood 36K13

http://www.lifeinarv.blogspot.com/

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have one child in the Woodlands and another in League City. We enjoyed staying in Galveston, but it was a little too far away from the Gkids in League City. We are trying to find a good park on that side of town, but after driving through Green Caye we weren't sure. Will you use it again? North Lake is opening another park near the Bass Pro on 288, it will be very nice but pricey.

Ron I'll probably do a blog review of Green Caye in a month or two. It's a strange place. The streets are all concrete with lots of pull throughs and big wide back ins. The price is right and the location is handy to lots of interesting places. Everything is well cared for and clean.

There are many long term residents including lots of factory workers and pipeliners. These folks get up and go to work early and come home late - no problems, just hard working people. There are no recreational facilities and no park activities. There's traffic noise along the back road - apparently a lot of kids think it's a raceway.

So, it's a mixed bag. If it wasn't so handy for us I'd go elsewhere - but if you want to be in that area it serves the purpose. As I understand it, they had such a big waiting list a few months ago that they quit taking names. I imagine that will change a bit as the traveling portion of the crowd (and there are many) will start heading north.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of the Dutch Aire. Very nice looking coach.

We have about 2 months left in our stay in Florida this winter, then we head to Colorado for our first summer adventure. Camp hosting in Crawford SP. We are chomping at the bit to get started.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• 2 weeks later...

The AC works well! We are really looking forward to the trip!

We have some other news. We decided to make Florida our new home base and bought a lot at the Wilderness RV Resort Estates, Preserve Estates section in Silver Springs. We decided this was far enough south for us. Once we leave Colorado this fall, and swing through NY to see family, we will be moving to our new lot here. We are presently renting a lot and so like the resort and the area that we made the decision and signed the sales contract yesterday. Hope to close before the end of March.

Our new lot is being purchased from another owner, not the resort. It is already landscaped very nicely with a paver patio and many trees and beds. We love that even though Wilderness feels very out of the way, it is only about 5 miles from everything. It is about 60 miles to either coast from here as well.

If any of you folks are looking for a place to visit, don't pass by Wilderness, stop in and say hi.

The AC works well! We are really looking forward to the trip!

We have some other news. We decided to make Florida our new home base and bought a lot at the Wilderness RV Resort Estates, Preserve Estates section in Silver Springs. We decided this was far enough south for us. Once we leave Colorado this fall, and swing through NY to see family, we will be moving to our new lot here. We are presently renting a lot and so like the resort and the area that we made the decision and signed the sales contract yesterday. Hope to close before the end of March.

Our new lot is being purchased from another owner, not the resort. It is already landscaped very nicely with a paver patio and many trees and beds. We love that even though Wilderness feels very out of the way, it is only about 5 miles from everything. It is about 60 miles to either coast from here as well.

If any of you folks are looking for a place to visit, don't pass by Wilderness, stop in and say hi.

Congratulations! I've heard nothing but good things about Wilderness.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

We signed a 6 month lease (11/1/14 - 5/1/15) at Citrus Park in Bonita Springs, FL. Never thought we'd stay that long in 1 place but this last winter has convinced me South FL is the only place warm enough. We'll see how it goes. Very tempting to buy a house in South FL while the prices are down but so far we're staying strong. LOL!

We have reservations at Buttonwood Bay in Sebring, FL for the last half of March and first half of April. Plan to slowly start drifting north to TN after that. We'll spend a month in North FL and GA with a mid May arrival in East TN near the Raccoon Valley SKP park. Will spend the summer based out of TN with trips to WV and VA.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

I most admit, most of the Class of 2013 I have never met in person... but it is fun to read the travels, experiences, and adventures that the class is having. Alice and I just arrived in Benson, AZ, SKP Saguaro Park... meeting up with some old friends and acquaintances. It feels good. Alice, being a Texas Gal, loves the Southwest. Me, being an amateur student of history, I love being close to the old Butterfield Trail... I can see them stages from here... or at least, in my minds-eye camera I can. Fact of the matter is, the old Dragoon Springs Stage Station was not too far from here. I am wrapping up a good book on the 3-year existence of the Stage Line. Got a book on Kit Carson coming up next.

From here, in mid-April Alice and I head up to Cottonwood (Sedona) for a couple of months... then perhaps a little time in New Mexico... then heading back to Hart Ranch in the Black Hills to wrap up the Summer and see the Aspens turn color.

Life is good!

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Thanks guys. We are very happy with our purchase.

The bridge is high so we will miss the monkeys, LOL! :rolleyes: In case everyone has not heard, during the filming of the Tarzan movies (back in the 1930's or 40's with Johnny Weismiller) some of the monkeys escaped off the islands in the Silver River and have adapted to the forest with at least 2 large troupes living in the wild. In fact we have monkey tours on the Ocklawaha and Silver rivers to see the wildlife including, hopefully, monkeys. They are sometimes shy. The bridge is up to the tops of the surrounding trees, which gives a nice view of the forest canopy.

We also have at least 4 gators living in our ponds near the entrance to the Preserve estates. Quite often they will all be out sunning themselves at the same time. The resort will be building a new waste water treatment facility shortly up above the Town Park. All the buildings around the park have been remodeled. It is just a very nice place to call home, and it does feel like home.

Yesterday was our one year anniversary of living full-time in our RV.

2013 Highlights: attended SKP Acre in April, saw family and friends in Ohio, Michigan, and Texas, I retired in August, traded TT for new 5th wheel in August, became Texans in September, had the first Thanksgiving with family in years and ended year in Geogia to have the holidays with our son.

In November we spent a week at Lone Star Corral, the SKP Co-op west of San Antonio. Liked it so much we applied in January and were surprised to get a lot a few weeks ago. This will be our winter home-base. Won't get back down there until November but looking forward to that.

This year we are doing our first volunteer camp host position (Lake Powhatan in NC) and plan on going to upper Michigan, South Dakota (Mt Rushmore), Colorado and New Mexico.

So after one year, we still enjoy this life and haven't missed the house for even a minute.

Safe travels to all of you,

Shirley & Neil
F350 and 2015 Open Range Light 318RLS
Winston, 2008 Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Nellie, 2010 Scottish Terrier

Yesterday was our one year anniversary of living full-time in our RV.

Congratulations, Shirley. Your travel routine looks similar to ours... and it sounds like it suits you well! Say hello to the MI Upper Peninsula for us, and give us a shout if you are in the Rapid City, SD area during August - September.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Thanks Jim! We love the UP - had a nice time at Tahquamenon Falls Sate Park last summer. This time we think we will at Hoeft State Park near Rogers City in north part of LP. But plan on at least one day trip across the Mackinaw Bridge. Might go see the Soo Locks. Remember seeing them when I was a child (and we will not mention how long ago that was).

Shirley

Shirley & Neil
F350 and 2015 Open Range Light 318RLS
Winston, 2008 Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Nellie, 2010 Scottish Terrier

• 3 weeks later...

It really is awfully quite here. Must be my fellow classmates are just having too much fun in this new and exciting lifestyle. How is everyone doing? Where have you been? What's next this summer? What exciting things are happening to you?

We spent the winter in Silver Springs, Florida. Liked the area so well we bought a lot at Wilderness RV resort Estates in the Preserve section. This will become our winter home base. On April 30th we head toward Colorado. We are camp hosts at the Crawford SP in Crawford, Co. When we leave there in Sept. we plan on traveling back to NY to see Drs. and visit with family before heading back to Florida.

We are both well and learning our way around Florida. We have attended a Yankees spring training game and several festivals while dodging the rain drops. We have been told it has been a cold and wet winter this year. We must have brought that with us from NY. We have officially changed our domicile to Florida, so I guess we are no longer Yorkers and are now Floridians! I guess that means we are not considered snow birds any more as well since this is our home base and we will plan trips each summer to sightsee around the area and country.

Let's hear from y'all my fellow classmates. How are things going with you?

Welcome to Florida residency Medico!

Our priority for the winter has been avoiding cold weather and seeing a lot of CG/resorts. Buttonwood Bay is emptying fast but we're not ready to head north yet. We've made reservations taking us though the first full week of May at 3 spots on or near the Gulf Coast of Florida.

We plan to make a couple loops through TN, VA and WV this summer seeing family, friends and doing some volunteer work in WV. A trip out West will have to wait until next ear for us.

Thinking of buying a winter place but gonna wait until the end of next winter to do it. Want to make sure we can tolerate being in 1 place that long. Or 1 place can tolerate us... LOL!

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

Our 1-year anniversary just passed, too. Here are our highlights . . .

- did a lap around Lake Michigan through WI and MI

- installed a residential fridge in our RV

- bought a Park Model in Lake Havasu City, AZ

- bought a Jeep for desert adventures

- changed our domicile from WI to AZ (lower taxes), but I'm a Packer fan for life

More info & pics on our blog.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Hey guys, thanks for responding. Hopefully will get many more responses. It's always nice to hear about classmates adventures.

Roadhouse, we fell in love with central Florida in the Ocala area. The coasts seemed to congested for our likes, and the south seemed a little too warm. Seems like we're in the middle of no where, and yet everything is within 7 miles of us. We're about 60 miles from either coast. We saw one pre-season game this year (Yankees fans) and plan on more next year.

Zulu, Good luck in Az. We haven't been yet but will plan a future trip through there. Seems like a nice place for a base of operations.

We just arrived back in Anacortes, WA after taking our fifth wheel to Houston and switching it for the Newmar Dutch Aire. The trailer had the rear passenger side tire blowout late Sunday night in west Texas, about sixty five miles east of Fort Stockton. Coach Net sent a tire guy to swap it with the spare. He used a cutting wheel to cut off the tire wrapped around the axle and cut half way through the shackle in the process. We limped to an abandoned gas station at the next exit and spent the night. He returned the next morning and replaced the shackle. We continued on to Houston where our trade in value had taken a nose dive. We did an initial inspection of the motorhome and started two weeks worth of work on it, part of which was installing the Unified tow brake and getting the new Jeep ready to toad. The Monday evening after we got to Houston, my wife was diagnosed with bronchitis and I with a sinus infection. Antibiotics were started. Nearly two weeks after arriving, though not quite over our illnesses, our motorhome was ready. We were over Houston and hit the road west. The next week was spent at the Durango RV resort in Red Bluff, CA overlooking the Sacramento River. Though not inexpensive, it's a good place to relax on the way through.

The next week started nearly three weeks of further repairs and coach, engine, and generator maintenance at Guaranty RV in Junction City, OR. Part of the money spent on XtraRide helped with some that. Half way through, my wife was diagnosed with pneumonia in her left lung. The incomplete recovery from brochitis had worsened. Another course of antibiotics was started. Eventually, tired of trying to recover in the customer waiting area and moving in and out of the RV each day, we opted to continue the wait elsewhere, spending the next week and a half on the coast in Newport. Though it was not in our home at Pacific Shores, the view from our room at the Shilo was still much improved over Junction City. Now, about six weeks after leaving and with everything in good working order on the new to us motorhome, we are parked in Anacortes, once again looking at the water and mountains. It's starting to feel like home here.

2009 43' Dutch Aire, Spartan Mountain Master GT, Cummins ISL 425 HP, Onan 10KW diesel, 2014 Jeep Cherokee V6 Trailhawk, Blue Ox Aventa LX, Roadmaster base plate, Unified tow brake

Gosh Tim, sorry for the problems and illnesses. I hope the DW and you are fully recovered. Hopefully from this point forward the coach will be trouble free and this lifestyle will be what you dreamed it would be when you started this trip. Thanks for updating us on your experiences, even the bad ones. It was nice to hear from you.

Howdy Class of 2013,

We hit the road in July last year, but didn't go too far for the summer. We spent a couple of months doing water sports at our membership campground (Marina Village Resort) in Trinity Tx on Lake Livingston. Then we spent a week in Arkansas on our way to Treasure Lake resort in Branson, another membership campground. We began our trip back to Houston in November, to spend time with the family.

We had planned to go to the RGV in January, but decided to go to Galveston, so I could be closer to my Mom. She was 91 and had a stroke in December. She passed away in February, so it was a good decision. She and my Dad traveled almost fulltime for 20 years after my Dad retired and quite often for many years before retirement. They bought their first RV in 1964 (wonder where I got the traveling bug).

We are back in Houston after a month at Marina Village, preparing to head toward the east coast next week.

Ron & Liz

2013 Blackwood 36K13

Thanks, Medico. DW has improved some, though a cough lingers. The lifestyle has been what I dreamed it would be, even with the problems. It's still amazing to me that I can sleep in my own bed each night while driving far across the country on a long weekend. It was 2,800 miles from Anacortes to Houston. Expecting zero problems, though nice, is likely wishful thinking. With complex systems, there is always something that will need maintenance. S&B need maintenance. This is no different. Road vibrations add to it a bit. Unfortunately, sometimes you do not know maintenance is needed until something stops working. Given the price we paid for this coach, needing to play catch up on the maintenance was expected. It should proceed at a more normal pace from here on if I keep up with it. I just need to learn faster. :)

2009 43' Dutch Aire, Spartan Mountain Master GT, Cummins ISL 425 HP, Onan 10KW diesel, 2014 Jeep Cherokee V6 Trailhawk, Blue Ox Aventa LX, Roadmaster base plate, Unified tow brake

Ron:

If you're going to Houston I strongly recommend Advanced RV Resort. It's at South Sam Houston Parkway East and Highway 288. We spent a year there. It is absolutely wonderful!

Harry

Thanks Harry, We have a Kid in The Woodlands & one in League City so we were looking for a park on the Southside, but the one in League City is moving to South Carolina. We will most likely be staying near The Woodlands each time we come to Houston.

Ron & Liz

2013 Blackwood 36K13

Boy, it sure is nice hearing what's happening with our various classmates. Keep it up guys. This is fun. Anyone else out there reading this thread? Pipe in and let us know how you're doing.

Archived