Class of 2013 is awful quiet

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well the weather has finally moderated here in Silver Springs. Sunny and 80 yesterday and for the next few days. About time!

We will be heading to Colorado at the end of April to volunteer camp host at Crawford SP in Crawford, Co. We are chomping at the bit for this great experience.

I take it back, we are about to grow webbed feet. The ground is so soggy it will take a week of sunny, dry weather to dry up the ground here. A strong, slow moving line of very heavy storms are moving through now, and we are getting cabin fever because this is the third day of showers and rain. It feels like we might have been transported to Seattle, except for the palm trees. I don't think they have palms in Seattle.

I suppose this is better than the Northeast. It is rain, not snow!

We got some really good CG deals at the Tampa Show. 4 nights R+FREE at Whisper Creek in Labelle, FL. Great park, family owned and would definitely go back there. Got a 2 weeks for the price of 1 at Sun Resorts and will stay at Lake San Marino in Naples, FL the 1st couple weeks in March. Got a pretty good 1 month promotion from Buttonwood Bay RV Resort in Sebring, FL and will stay there mid March to mid April. Bit the bullet and paying full price at Palm Lake in Bonita Springs, FL for February. Nice park and fair priced all things considered.

Well have not been on here for a while. Had a run of bad luck---DW developed a bulging disc in her back and has had major pain issues twice since October (bed rest and muscle relaxers), had a major leak in the motorhome, and the dog ruptured a ligament in his left rear leg (the doggie equivilent of a complete tear of the ACL) so he had surgery last Monday, and is confined for the next 12 weeks while he heals, then on top of that had computer problems. Hoping the remainder of 2014 improves but happy new year to all 2013 class members and hope we can all enjoy our first full calendar year of full timing.

Too far south for us I believe. We kind of like central Florida, but are still exploring. We do plan an excursion to the Lake Placid area as well, but even that may be a bit south for our liking. However, this winter has been bad throughout most of the area. Not like up north, but bad!

We are still looking for a winter place in Central Florida for next winter. Would like to be close to Disney and get an annual pass, just so we can go and people watch and everyone is always so happy. May also get jobs there. Haven't found anywhere we really love and that is affordable yet!!! Have been staying NE of Tampa but going to Daytona 500 on Tuesday and have an infield spot so looking forward to that.

Check where we are staying, Wilderness RV Resort, in Silver Springs. This resort is located in the Ocala National Forest along the Ocklawaha River. It is quite nice. All 3 sections have deeded lots available for sale and many have owners renting their lots. There are 3 sections, The Village Park is the original section, smaller sites, mostly pull through. All types of RV's. The next section is Town Park. Larger sites all types of RVs. The last section is the Preserve Estates, Class A 32 foot and over only. Very large sites all with concrete pads. I hear the rate will be $495 per month, plus taxes and electric next year in the Preserve.

We have already reserved with our landlord for next year (we rent from an owner). This resort has the feel of being in the middle of nowhere, but is within 6 or 7 miles of all the shopping anyone would want.

This 2013 guy&gal.... is getting ready to get back on the road. Been in Michigan for three months... 6" new snow last night (2' on ground). Granddaughter born two months ago, healthy, and pampered. Now time to pamper mamaw & papaw. Leaving for Texas this morning driving the toad, will pick up stored Motorhome there... and make our way to Arizona.

Life is good.

Jim & Alice

Edited by Jim&Alice

Just checking in - our first winter was a mixed bag. We stayed in Houston for three months to be close to family, do doctor's appointments, and do some work on the 5ver. Three months was too long for us and we don't want to do that again. Finally, we got away and headed south to Rockport for a month. We're enjoying it very much. After that, we're back to Houston for another month before heading out on our 2014 travel adventure.

I think we'll plan to stay around Houston no more than 2 months at a time in the future. It's nice to be close to family and friends but....well, it's Houston!

Just checking in - our first winter was a mixed bag. We stayed in Houston for three months to be close to family, do doctor's appointments, and do some work on the 5ver. Three months was too long for us and we don't want to do that again. Finally, we got away and headed south to Rockport for a month. We're enjoying it very much. After that, we're back to Houston for another month before heading out on our 2014 travel adventure.

I think we'll plan to stay around Houston no more than 2 months at a time in the future. It's nice to be close to family and friends but....well, it's Houston!

Scott, We also spent a couple months in Houston for the Holidays before getting away for a month in Galveston. We're now at our Membership campground on Lake Livingston (Marina Village RV Resort near Trinity Tx). Glad to be having some great weather.

After living all our lives in Houston we are glad to get away, although we can't get away for too long due to family and friends. We stayed at North Lake park in Houston, where did you stay?

Do you mean a Dutch Star DP by Newmar? They are a very nice coach. Congrats! That is quite an upgrade, both in rig and toad.

Thanks. It is the Dutch Aire, a diesel pusher by Newmar. Here is the brochure from the archive: 2009dadpbrochure.pdf Our's is the 4317 floorplan with the desk dinette (so I can keep working my 40 per), recliner for the wife instead of love seat, stacked W/D, and a corner tub/shower.

It is a big change and you're right, quite an upgrade. That was our plan, though we weren't thinking DP at the time. We bought the older, less expensive used 5er to hold us over until we could unload the S&B and get rid of that mortgage. At that point, we could upgrade. We were originally thinking of upgrading to a new 5er and a 2014 Ram duelly. But, with recent thinking and updated perceptions, we concluded the heavier DP will sway less in wind when parked and the smaller toad will be easier for my wife to drive around towns in tighter spaces. Also, our current long term resort has the outside row with the view reserved for motorhomes. ;) As a bonus, our dog with the bad leg can get in on her own while she had to be helped into the 5er. We saw this one and, with the price dropping over time to where we could afford it, it triggered the journey to get it. I now have a whole new set of systems to learn about.

We unloaded the S&B into our 5er over many weeks. Trying to move that between units relatively quickly is difficult. We should be done soon and back on the road west. I updated my signature with more details.

Scott, We also spent a couple months in Houston for the Holidays before getting away for a month in Galveston. We're now at our Membership campground on Lake Livingston (Marina Village RV Resort near Trinity Tx). Glad to be having some great weather.

After living all our lives in Houston we are glad to get away, although we can't get away for too long due to family and friends. We stayed at North Lake park in Houston, where did you stay?

Ron, we were at Green Caye at Dickinson - it's in the right place and the price is right, but more of a residential park than a RV park.