Class of 2013 is awful quiet

archer

Guest Mary Mary

Hi,

I am new here. Am guessing this would be the class I belong in. I am a single woman and have just started the wonderful adventure of full timing, and am hoping to learn lots here.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dale and Mary, congrats and welcome to the class of '13.

You will both love this life. The DW and I are heading to Florida on Oct. 20th for 6 months, then have not decided where to next. The freedom to go where you will is intoxicating.

This and other similar forums are jam packed with useful info. A couple others I write in are:

Good Sam Open Roads

iRV2

and for MH owners:

FMCA

Another fun newsletter is RV Travel.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

We joined the Class of 2013 on 23 September.

I've been a member of the Escapees forum for many years as a recreational rv'er. Mostly hung out in the HDT section because we pulled our Mobile Suites with a Volvo 770. Have since sold that combo and have had 2 different rvs that we used for weekend and vacation camping.

I retired from the Air Force in 2010 and went to work for a DoD contractor until summer 2012. Even though we've talked about full timing for years, over the last year we got really serious about it. I went through the training, took all the tests, and worked at an rv dealership to become a certified rv tech. I wanted the training and knowledge to repair our rv on the road.

We've been debt-free for many years (even before I retired) so we've been able to bank most of our income into savings and various investments. We'll full time solely on my military retirement and use savings to purchase our next home when/if we decide to come off the road.

We purchased a 2013 Ram 3500 dually and have a 2014 Mobile Suites on order. In the mean time we'll be using our travel trailer. It's cramped, but it'll be fine until we take delivery of the MS in December or January.

We've already been asked several times by friends, "How can you afford to do this?" For us it was a simple plan. Be debt free.

We laid out our plan many years ago. Pay off the house and pay off the cars. We haven't had credit card debt in over 20 years so that was a non-player. Having everything paid off before I retired was one of the smartest money-moves we did. Since then we have not financed anything. We were able to pay cash for the Ram and will also pay cash for the 5'er. We feel incredibly blessed to be able to do that and it will surely add to our enjoyment of our full time travels.

We realize we're on the young side of the full timing crowd. Clearly evident even in our first week at this FL resort. No worries. We're going to really enjoy this new adventure.

2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Long Bed, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow tank, Andersen Ultimate, BakFlip F1

2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery getter)

2014.5 Mobile Suites

Full Timing since 2013

http://suiteadventure.com

Previous:

2006 Mobile Suites

Volvo 770

Hi,

I am new here. Am guessing this would be the class I belong in. I am a single woman and have just started the wonderful adventure of full timing, and am hoping to learn lots here.

Yep, this is the "right class" - lots of it as a matter of fact. I think you will enjoy fulltiming... and these Escapees forums are a gold mine of information, advice, and conosolation (when needed).

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Guest Mary Mary

Yep, this is the "right class" - lots of it as a matter of fact. I think you will enjoy fulltiming... and these Escapees forums are a gold mine of information, advice, and conosolation (when needed).

Jim

Thank you for the welcome. I have been learning much here over the past couple days.

We are loving our 1st real time on the road! We just spent a month in Houston and now we are in Gulf Shores, Al. What a beautiful place! We are working our way to Atlanta to the Good Sam rally. Any class of 13 going??

Julie & Kevin Carver

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP

08 Red Ford Edge but always OSU Orange Faithful :)

Been away for a while focusing on the S&B. Good to see all the progress and new names. Congratulations to all!

We're getting close now. Maybe 2-3 weeks...

Living in the RV in the driveway. Does that count? LOL!

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

If you are living FT in the RV, regardless of it's physical location, then I would say YES it counts as being a FTer! We moved into our coach on May 2nd even though we did not close on the sale of our SB until July. Unfortunately, our driveway was a little too steep at the SB to stay there so we did move into an RV Park about 20 miles away.

Welcome to all class of '13 members in case we missed you previously!

I like that answer Medico. Thanks!

We still use the shower and the WiFi in the house but that's it. Working out well to be 20 feet from the house while we're working on it. Guys are here right now for round 2 of hauling off the rest of 29 years worth of "treasures".

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

We had a household sale for most of our stuff. The company priced everything lower, much lower in some cases, than we would have, but everything went. I suppose if we had priced things as we would have, many items would not have sold and we would have been tied up much longer getting rid of the stuff. Overall they got rid of everything except a few items they transported to the donation facility, then cleaned the whole house. Put all the garbage and un-saleable items in the garage which we subsequently put to the curb over a couple of weeks. This was so much easier on us and no more worrying about all this stuff we had no room for!

Stuff is gone. Probably keeping too much, but we have "free" storage on a relatives land for a couple enclosed trailers. All that's left is to prep & paint the inside and refinish the floors. Plus a million little details...

The beginning is near!

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

Well, we have a contract on our S&B and have had a "stuff" sale so the house is empty. We have been living in our RV since 9/18 and will be in Florida for the winter at Sun-N-Fun RV Resort by mid November.

Congrats to all that have made this years graduating class.

Larry and Suette

Larry K

2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43PKQ
2006 Jeep Liberty Limited toad
AFO Brake system

Well, we have a contract on our S&B and have had a "stuff" sale so the house is empty. We have been living in our RV since 9/18 and will be in Florida for the winter at Sun-N-Fun RV Resort by mid November.

Congrats to all that have made this years graduating class.

Larry and Suette

Congrats to you, Larry. You made it! Some other good folks this year too. My wife and I always had plans to do this... around 2015. But back in 2012 we decided to move the date up by a couple of years. We shifted in to 'hurrry-up mode', used this site extensively for advice, bought our MH about a year ago... and Left Michigan in January of 2013. That put us, albeit suddenly, into the class of 2013.

Currently we are heading for NE Texas for a few weeks - got family there. We will park the Home there for the Holidays and head back to Michigan for time with the kids. In January, back to Texas... Motorhome... and Arizona, 'probably'. Hehe, love the 'probably' - we'll figure it out when we get there.

Safe travels.

JIm

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Been house less for a little over a month now. All is going well. About 9 months til retirement. I like living in the motor home, but I am sure it will be much better when we retire and travel. Going on a four day trip to the beach this month and next. Then to Death Valley for four days in January. Life is good, thank God.

Scott, Norma and dog Max

2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD

2014 Jeep Wrangler JKURX

Class of 2013

Well our summer is almost over. Wife is retired. We have a couple of appts. today, then to the dealer on Thursday to fix a problem. Originally scheduled to depart from here on Oct. 20th for a 10 day trip to Fl. where we will winter. May call park at first stop to see if we can come a little early and get a start on the travels.

Congrats to all the new class of 13' members I might have missed.

Boy is it getting cold up here or what. Used to be this time of year 50 felt fine, now it feels downright cold, brrrr.

Sorry, but we must drop out of the "Class of 2013." Circumstances have dictated that we cannot get on the road until March 2014; so it looks like "Class of 2014" here we come. 2013 was an optimistic goal for us, but March 2014 is a 99% certainty. See you next year!

We were on the side of the house with the slideouts in for 2 1/2 months and like you using the shower in the house and we were using the neighbors (with her permission and providing the passcode) wifi. When you leave it feels so good and when we finally put out the slides it was like wow!! Almost 2 months later we are still having a difficult time believing it has actually happened!

I like that answer Medico. Thanks!

We still use the shower and the WiFi in the house but that's it. Working out well to be 20 feet from the house while we're working on it. Guys are here right now for round 2 of hauling off the rest of 29 years worth of "treasures".

Chris & Joni
The Beagles now 3 Daphne, Ace and Flash
looking
2016 Acura MDX

http://jnctravelogue.wordpress.com

At least we won't have to get used to all the new room with slide outs. Don't have any. LOL! Do have some stuff stored short term in the living room (what is the correct term in an RV? Salon?) area that I'll be glad to get rid of.

Got a few adjustments to make in the RV but we're maybe a week and a half from done in the house and wheels up outta the driveway! Exciting times!

We were on the side of the house with the slideouts in for 2 1/2 months and like you using the shower in the house and we were using the neighbors (with her permission and providing the passcode) wifi. When you leave it feels so good and when we finally put out the slides it was like wow!! Almost 2 months later we are still having a difficult time believing it has actually happened!

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

Any Class of 2013 members going to the Tampa RV show in January? We're planning to camp on the grounds.

http://www.frvta.org/rv-shows/florida-rv-supershow/

Some chatter about it in other sections of the forum but I haven't heard of an Escapees meet up point.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

Class of 2013

This past year we had 2 garage sales, sold the wifes car, put big items on craigslist, gave alot away, and sold the house in June. We now only have our house on wheels, and have been full timers for 4 months at this point, and are liking the living very well. Scaling down was hard, so much STUFF with lots of memories. Kept the memories, got rid of most of the stuff.

Fulltimers
Class of 2013
2014 Winnebago Tour 42Q

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

SKP#87262
G.S.Life Member 32651846 F.M.C.A. F162273
Home Base SKPs Pair A Dice,NV

Any Class of 2013 members going to the Tampa RV show in January?

We are planning to be there Charlie. We have not figured out exactly where we will park, but will be there.

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Archived