archer

Class of 2013 is awful quiet

We opened our second escrow today. Thirty days and 10 for the buyer to get rid of all contingincies. Hope this one goes the distance. Today was first day since we started living in the RV that we have not had to run the a/c all day but that should go away tomorrow.

Let's hope all of our escrows close in July and we are all on the road.

Chris

Best wishes to the Class of 2013, especially with selling your homes. I was in that position in 2006, when prices were high - made a huge profit but lesson learned - I never wish to be tied down/burdened with a home ever again.

I'm an avid reader of all-things full timing these days, including the Escapees Forum (love the Traveling with Pets section), Nick Russell's books The Frugal RVer and Meandering Down the Highway, the RV Sue and Her Canine Crew blog (love it!!!), and lots of vandwelling sites.

I have two questions for which I would like feedback/assistance. I feel like I'm the only one in this dilemma, but there's gotta be more than just me!

Affordable Care Act Costs:

I will most likely be Class of 2013 in my 2009 Roadtrek, as I will no longer be eligible to purchase catastrophic health insurance beginning January 2014 (I'm an age 50 ultra-marathon runner and triathlete, in better health than women half my age).

Beginning January 2014 I will no longer be able to purchase my current catastrophic coverage ($7K deductible) @ $136/mo, and will be required by law to pay health insurance costs of nearly $400/mo (half the cost of my rent on my liveaboard boat). I can "decline" (i.e. postpone) ACA coverage and pay the tax penalty, but as I will be ineligible to continue purchasing my current insurance due to the ACA age-restriction on catastrophic coverage, this would leave me without health insurance. I feel this is financially unwise.

Question: Is any other pre-retirement Escapee is encountering a financial dilemma posed by ACA, and being forced either to pay a huge rate increase OR simply to retire/work less/stop working entirely? If so, what is your decision?

I feel like the government in pushing me into early retirement. Ironically, by retiring, I will be eligible for the January 2014 expansion of Medicaid. Thus, by not working, I can get my healthcare for *free* (i.e. paid for by other taxpayers). I still can't wrap my head around this….

Note: This is *not* a political commentary on ACA. My colleagues and I are all part-time, and none of us will meet the hourly rate to be eligible for ACA employer-sponsored healthcare. Several of my colleagues are my age, and currently their entire monthly paycheck pays for their own and their spouses health insurance due to pre-existing conditions and required medication. Their spouses pay the rest of the monthly bills (mortgage, utilities, etc.). They will find ACA to be a *tremendous* benefit! So I'm not knocking ACA, I'm just explaining my dilemma.

Traveling with *Three* Dogs:

I unexpectedly adopted a 3rd rescue dog last year (she was ill and abandoned at my workplace, so I immediately sought veterinary care. Although microchipped, she was unclaimed so I ended up adopting her).

Many RV parks have a 2 dog limit, and I know from experience that some will overlook the restriction (especially when they see my 3rd dog and learn of her story). Also, my dogs are small (one 20lbs, two 10lbs each), always leashed when we walk outdoors, well-behaved, and I am a responsible pet owner who carries tons of poop bags to share (LOL I maximize the use of the bag by picking up all other dog poop I see).

In reviewing web sites such as GoPetFriendly and DogFriendly.com, I'm finding the 2 dog limit to be the norm. I'm beginning to think BLM/LTVA, blacktop boondocking (TONS of RVers do this on a daily basis at the park near the marina where I live), or buying my own land is my best option as a full timer (not thrilled with being tied down with land, though…)

Question: How are those of you with three dogs (or more) fulltiming? Are you finding RV parks accommodating, or are you fulltiming on BLM/LTVA or elsewhere? I have been considering paying the $10K deposit for the Timber Valley SKP Co-Op as I'm now (age-wise) eligible for the waitlist...and they permit three dogs :-)

Any feedback/assistance is appreciated. Many thanks to everyone on the Escapees forum - I joined the forum in 2010 and follow it avidly.

--Rachael

We have a couple of RV friends with 3 dogs each (shelties and Irish setters). They have never said anything about problems with more than two dogs. We have a large miniature schnauzer (21#) and a small standard Schnauzer (31#). We have never been turned away from a park due to our dogs being over the sometimes seen 20# limit. We tell them upfront about the size and weight and no problem.

My wife and I are both on Medicare with a supplement plan. We are waiting to see what will change on this.

The house closed on 30 APR 2013 and you know what. I have not missed it a bit other than walking the dogs vs. the back yard. But with the dog walking I have lost almost 10# so far....I need to drop another 20 at least.

Ken

We opened our second escrow today. Thirty days and 10 for the buyer to get rid of all contingincies. Hope this one goes the distance. Today was first day since we started living in the RV that we have not had to run the a/c all day but that should go away tomorrow.

Chris

Awesome, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I had a lady come to my house about 3 weeks ago wanting to know if I was selling. I told her not until February of 2014. She came back by again yesterday asking again if we are selling. I told her not yet, but she wants to bring her husband over to look at the house. I threw out a high price to try to scare her away, bur she still seems to be interested. Not in a hurry to sell yet, should I wait and hope the price goes up, or maybe sell now?

Chris

Hope all goes well Chris, We are on track (so far) to close Friday. We moved into the RV Sunday, but down here in Houston I'm not sure either A/C has cycled yet! Next summer I plan to find cooler weather.

Ron

Best of luck on the closing for your houses. I'm so glad that phase is over for me. Now on the road full-timing and really enjoying it.

Thanks TXiceman for your response. Good to know that your friends have not encountered issues with 3 dogs, and that you have not encountered an issue with the 20lb limit. That's reassuring, especially after my recent road trip to Oregon. Many dog-friendly hotels have a number/weight/breed restriction, and also charge an extra fee for pets. At the first hotel, I told/showed the clerk upfront about having three dogs (terrier mix, chihuahua, small spaniel). She brought out the manager, who said "I'm not seeing a third dog ;-) " The manager then explained that the owner would be happier that she rented the room for full price and got the pet fee, versus renting the room to someone eligible for a discount. Hilarious!

Wasn't so lucky at my next hotel - they enforced the two-dog-per-room rule, so I ended up renting a second room for the third dog (obviously we all stayed in the same room). For a change of scenery we moved back and forth between rooms LOL

Congratulations on the home sale - yes, it's amazing how much exercise we get walking our dogs! I've been a boat liveaboard for over a year, so the dogs and I are climbing in/out throughout the day for walkies/taking care of business. I don't think I've ever been this agile in my entire life!

Thanks again for your response - I'm feeling reassured that I won't encounter as many difficulties with three dogs as I thought :-)

--Rachael

Awesome, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I had a lady come to my house about 3 weeks ago wanting to know if I was selling. I told her not until February of 2014. She came back by again yesterday asking again if we are selling. I told her not yet, but she wants to bring her husband over to look at the house. I threw out a high price to try to scare her away, bur she still seems to be interested. Not in a hurry to sell yet, should I wait and hope the price goes up, or maybe sell now?

If the amount is more than what you believe the house is worth, it might be better to take it. "A bird in hand is worth three in the bush" or something like that. We have no advance knowledge of what tomorrow will bring. I'm sure those contemplating selling just prior to the bust wish they had just after the bust.

Keep in mind that if they're getting financing, there will be an appraisal involved. If your price is way above the market, it won't pass appraisal, therefore, they won't be able to get their full loan. Low appraisals are one of the things that are killing some deals.

Hang in there "dosbeagles", it will happen. Took us 3 yrs. to sell and 4 months to close. We had our auction Sunday 6-3, closed Monday, got our money Tuesday (6-5) and DW quit her job at the railroad, went to get a newer coach wed. Set there for 2 weeks swapping rigs and getting things fixed. Made it to SD Friday (6-21) and headed out today (3 weeks from graduating) to go back to get an AC fixed (can't get in until 7-9 (two more weeks).....then MAYBE the adventure can begin for us!

Rachael - As far as buying land goes, we liked the idea of having a place we could stay for several months a year while we save money and recuperate from all the fun we're going to have. :D We also felt that this would provide a place to pull up when we finally have to come off the road. We have 2 acres with RV pad and full hookups. It's an option you might consider if you want to stop someplace for an extended period of time during your travels.

Have you considered looking at RV parking at fairgrounds? They seem to be a little more flexible - at least the 2 we've stayed at in the past.

Thanks BLZ for your response. I'm back and forth on the buying land thing, although there's a definite draw to having a home base (looking at remote properties where I can perhaps have a private MX track - I'm sure you can relate as I see you have a Katoom!)

Fairground RV parking didn't even enter my radar - I'm a native Californian and began researching fairground RV parking thanks to your post. LOL no idea that my local fairground offers spring/fall/winter parking!

Many, many thanks!

--Rachael

We closed on the house Friday and the last items,that were sold to friends on Facebook, were picked up Saturday. The house is empty and the keys will be turned over tomorrow. I am ready to get out of Houston, but we have the site rented for 3 more weeks.

Ron & Liz

Great news Ron. Happy Trails!

Ours is still tentatively scheduled for July 10th. We finished the final contingency on Friday. We have asked the surveyor to be done by the 4th. The lawyers say this should be enough time for them to finish. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Hello! I just found this forum - I've been hanging out on the veterans forum, trying to get advice about domicile. I was a fulltimer from 2004-2007 while I was still on active duty in the Army. Those were three of the best years of my life. When I retired, I had this crazy notion that I could settle down, go back to my home state (New York - FInger Lakes region) but I only lasted three years there. I moved here to KY in 2010 and got the itch around Christmastime to move again. So I had an epiphany; fulltiming makes the most sense for me! I put my condo on the market May 6th and sold it on June 19th. I never anticipated selling that fast, but had already decided on an RV, and had started selling some of my household items. I have three moving sales scheduled for later this month, and plan to hit the road by early Sept. My intent is to spend quality time near friends and family across the county and check off things on my bucket list along the way. I am currently on www.flexjobs.com looking for some telecommuter work to keep busy and earn extra golf/bowling fun money!

Seriously looking at FL and SD for domicile purposes. SD seems pretty RV friendly and some RV friends have strongly recommended that state. But I am always open to discussion.

Looking forward to following my classmate's posts!

I just now stumbled on this thread. I'm wondering if we can join the class of 2013? We closed on the sale of our house last friday. We are now living in our 45' Monaco Signature (4 slides) and will start moving around the 15th of July. First stop will be Elkhart to get some maintenance work done on the SIG and installation of a HDTV dish and then to see our son & family in Rochester. After that, our next plans are to spend Christmas & New Years with about a dozen RV friends at Catalina State Park in AZ.

Right now, we just getting things arranged in the RV. We're not new to motorhome travel. We've had a Beaver Marquis for 19 years, which we sold last fall to purchase the Monaco.

The question now is should we establish an address and residence in SD or TX? We're going to look hard at an RV residence for winter use in the TX hill country.

ChetParks

04 SIG, 06 Dakota

Welcome to the SKP Class of 2013. Consider your domicile choice carefully, and look at all the costs. Of course if you buy a lot in TX, then that would make sense. I've been living full-time in my RV since April. However, I will have been on the road for one month at the end of this week. I'm really having a good time! See my post to you on the Map thread.

Well, we closed on our house on 6/25 but it wasn't easy. We left Michigan and are now visiting our kids in NC. Closing day went like this. We got up with the intent of moving the Motorhome to a campground 30 miles away and then returning for the closing at 3PM. The electric/gas company showed up early wanting to shut everything off. I stated that the new owners were taking over this afternoon and that this should be just a change of ownership. He indicated that he had no transfer order and would have to turn everything off. I called our closing agent and told them about the shut down.

We then proceeded to finish packing up and got ready to move to the campground. We said our goodbye's to the neighbors and they stood by as we started the RV and put it in gear to back out.We were waving goodbye and realized that the RV would not move. I tried several times to move it with no luck. I made several calls to the dealer who went over the process of what I was doing and finally realized the the brakes had froze up. I am sure the neighbors, while taking pictures, were saying "Won't these people ever leave!" The chassis repairman was called and would be here in an hour or so.

While waiting for the repairman to show up, we received a call from the closing agent who said that we may be liable for any damages if we don't get the electric turned back on. What damages? Something about the refrigerator and melting ice. So I spent the next hour and a half on the phone with the electric company. Come to find out, the new owners did not call in until the morning of the close and the orders were never matched. I could not get the svc turned back on because I had closed the account.

The chassis repairman finally showed up and fixed our problem at 2:30. So off to the closing we went in our motorhome, finding a parking spot near a closed store. We arrive at the meeting and were immediately dragged over the coals by the buyers real estate agent for having the electric turned off. We tried to reason with her and told her about all of the steps I went through to get the power turned back on. She was so upset that she wanted to stop the closing. Our agent finally calmed her down enough so that we could close. Later, our agent said that she had never seen an outburst like that over such a little thing. The additional cost turned out to be a $5 hook up fee.

We look back and chuckle at our hectic day, especially when we were waving goodbye and could not leave. We have finally started our new adventure.

Happy Travels,

Ed and Sue

Love your write up and happy ending, CountryTraveler! Wow, everything from this day forward will be *easy* and *fun*! - thanks for sharing your story!!

Congrats Ed and what a great story! We closed on the 28th, but leased back the house until the 1st. I guess our buyer was slow in ordering the utilities, because He called me complaining. We have bought and sold three previous houses and never had that problem.

Well heard back on the home inspection and appraisal. Appraisal was good came in at selling price. Home inspection had some issues they wanted fixed, we :) threw a little money at them and they agreed to fix the issues themselves or live with the issues. Home scheduled to close on July 23 or 24 and we will be on the road that day!!!!! Heading to Colorado to visit family then probably on to Washington State. Need a minor repair on the motorhome this last Wednesday leaving a camp site we bottomed out the back end and cracked the back plastic bumper. Took it into the repair shop- Final Touch in Valencia CA they will have an estimate for me by Monday but guaranteed that one way or another it will be done by our blast off date. They did some remodel work for us, it was completed last month and it looks great, very happy with the service and quality of work. :):) :) :) Yea!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Closing went off without a hitch on the 28th of June. Been busy moving into the moty ever since. I thought we were closer to being ready to launch than we really were. Every list seems to spawn another. Almost ready, but I felt that way in May also. First stop Hudson, Fl. for several fogged windows, then Lake City for solar finishing touches. After that, we just go where good weather takes us.

Congratulations on the sale of your house. And, welcome to the Class of 2013. Hope all goes as planned. Let me know if you want to be added to our Map.