Class of 2013 is awful quiet

archer

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, we have FINALLY set a date. Wife and I plan to be in the 2013 class. If we find ourselves tired of the race, we just might jump into the 2012 class!

We picked up our 5er two weeks ago and will take the next 18-24 months getting to know our unit. Looking forward to meeting you on the road...maybe we can do a pre-grad meet up on the East coast? A meet and greet of some future full-timers?

Congrats, you are ahead of us. We are waiting to sell the house, hoping to the value comes back up a little. We will buy our fulltime rig when we sell.

In the mean time we continue clear out 35 years of accumulation. I don't remember bringing some of this stuff home. We travel every chance we get in a small TT.

We're still on track to be on the road by Sept. 2013. We are currently researching 5ers. I think we have it down to a Cedar Creek or a Brookstone. If DW get's her way, it will be the Cedar Creek. Any thoughts?

I made our reservations for Gillette Escapade this August. Anyone else going?

The number for today is 822!

Congrats, you are ahead of us. We are waiting to sell the house, hoping to the value comes back up a little. We will buy our fulltime rig when we sell.

In the mean time we continue clear out 35 years of accumulation. I don't remember bringing some of this stuff home. We travel every chance we get in a small TT.

The house took care of itself in 2009 when the Michigan market tanked. We have dumped 50% of our stuff and will do another purge in a week or so when we yard sale. As teachers, we accept the notion that education will be vastly different in a few years so we are preparing to make the jump.

We will be working our way until we qualify for SS in 10-15 years.

Can't wait to feel the road under our wheels.

We have all of next summer June 15 through August 18 if 2013 wants to do a round up....Escapades in 2012?

1998 Dodge 2500 QCLB CTD 4 X 4 -- 1998 Coachmen Catalina 320 RKS 5er -- CLASS OF 2013?

"It don't matter which way you go, when you're callin' the highway your home."------Waylon Jennings

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

I'll be soloing and finally got me a small used toy hauler to carry my Harley and me. It's tiny but what do you need besides a bed, a bath, a kitchen, a chair and some time to enjoy? After 36 years of working the same job I am tired--just plain tired. Is anyone thinking about moving the date up? I say I am in the class of 2013 because that's when I turn 62. I could struggle, do a little workamping and probably do it earlier if I had to (and I sure want to) but the fear factor and healthcare costs are what hold me back. I'm thinking about taking this season and getting my rig to my liking and possibly joining the class of 2012 next summer. Any thoughts from the Class of 2013 on taking the plunge early?

I'll be soloing and finally got me a small used toy hauler to carry my Harley and me. It's tiny but what do you need besides a bed, a bath, a kitchen, a chair and some time to enjoy? After 36 years of working the same job I am tired--just plain tired. Is anyone thinking about moving the date up? I say I am in the class of 2013 because that's when I turn 62. I could struggle, do a little workamping and probably do it earlier if I had to (and I sure want to) but the fear factor and healthcare costs are what hold me back. I'm thinking about taking this season and getting my rig to my liking and possibly joining the class of 2012 next summer. Any thoughts from the Class of 2013 on taking the plunge early?

We are of the same mind set as you. TIRED of being tired. We will not have a pension and only social security (maybe) and we are NOT waiting for 62. We will be working or earning money to support ourselves from day one on the road. Healthcare?

We told orselves that when we have $10-$15K in cash and a source of income, we are gone. We have been saying this for 3 years and now that we have committed to 2013, we will make it work..

1998 Dodge 2500 QCLB CTD 4 X 4 -- 1998 Coachmen Catalina 320 RKS 5er -- CLASS OF 2013?

"It don't matter which way you go, when you're callin' the highway your home."------Waylon Jennings

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

Previous owners of the Catalina 5er lived in it for about 8 years. They kept it nice and did good by the unit. We were in it today and looked at the original carpet. PO had laid a wool rug over the shabby blue carpet. We are gong to revamp the interior by changing the carpet to a green or beige. We will also swapout the blue window treatments and look fro a color matching sofa (the current one is blue with tones of burgundy.

We will be adding a flat screen tv in the entertainment center as well. We are discussing the lazt boy, currently next to the door by the fridge. If we want to do a table there for the computer or set the computer where the dinette is?? Plans and ideas to consider prior to 2013.

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

Sunny and high 80s tomorrow! A great day to roll out the awnings and do some cleaning. It will also be shade for our simplification / reduction yard sale. we'll get some measurements for replacing the worn shabby / shaggy blue carpet as well.

Is it time to roll yet?

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

Sunny and high 80s tomorrow! A great day to roll out the awnings and do some cleaning. It will also be shade for our simplification / reduction yard sale. we'll get some measurements for replacing the worn shabby / shaggy blue carpet as well.

Is it time to roll yet?

Good luck on your yard sale. See ya on the road!

The weather refused to cooperate. We will be busy remodeling the 5er and looking for a laminate floor to replace the carpet. We are hoping to do a long weekend April 22-25 in Asheboro. The NC Zoo is there and they say it is spectacular...

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

With the wife in Michigan visiting the kids, I think I will start some renovations on the 5er. I need to start moving the stuff we need like utensils, plates, and and clothing that will always be kept in the 5er. Should be a great time to investigate the procedure for replacing that carpet as well.

It is hard going in and out of the unit and NOT being out on the road.

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

We were on the Workamper site the past few days. We are really impressed with its organization and the number of employers. WE are just "temp" member right now (thanks Kirk!!) and will go full membership on May 1st. We completed our AWESOME APPLICANT resume` with an available date of 2013!! It's not tooooo soon is it??

We have already had 7 employers look at our resume! Hope 2013 is working on their preparations. We are also setting up our web site / blog so it will be operational by June 2011...

Are we there yet?

Tim and MAry

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

Hi Everyone,

I'm jumping over here from the class of '14! :rolleyes: My DH and I were planning to put the house up for sale then and hit the road as soon as it sold. We have been talking about our timeline though, and decided that sooner is better. :D So we are moving our date up a year, and putting the house on the market as soon as Harry becomes eligible for retirement, which is March 2013!! Hopefully we are only 23 months from hitting the road!!

Jessica and Harry

Fulltimers as of 12/12/12

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD

2011 Heartland Landmark Rushmore

www.rikerrvdays.blogspot.com

Hi Everyone,

I'm jumping over here from the class of '14! :rolleyes: My DH and I were planning to put the house up for sale then and hit the road as soon as it sold. We have been talking about our timeline though, and decided that sooner is better. :D So we are moving our date up a year, and putting the house on the market as soon as Harry becomes eligible for retirement, which is March 2013!! Hopefully we are only 23 months from hitting the road!!

Welcome to 2013! Yet another couple to listen to my babbling as we move closer to JUne 2013.. There is much to do a little time to get it done

Tim and Mary

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

Hi Everyone,

Not even a good bye to the 2014ners?

Scott, Norma and dog Max

2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD

2014 Jeep Wrangler JKURX

Class of 2013

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the class of 2013! Moving your date up a year is exciting. Hope you house sells quickly.

Hey Archer,

I haven't talked to you for a while.

Are you still in AZ ?

DAVID B :D

We will be in AZ until we pull the plug in June 2013.

We are heading out to Colorado for a few weeks next month. We consider it OJT for FT'ing.

So 2013, what are we doing to get ready? Other than the obvious tasks like selling the house, dumping STUFF, and buying a unit or complete rig that is.

Our goal is to have our financial (aka INCOME) in place and generating some cash flow. We are busy brushing up on our graphic arts skills and writing. We have been perusing various web / blog sites to learn what successful sites do. We also are learning a lot from folks here, like Nick and his writings in the Gypsy Journal!

As we continue to get the ducks in a row, the lunacy of this whole plan sometimes rises up and greet us in the face--

We have 2 very short years to become as self-sufficient as possible. We will be on the road in 2013 with no real safety net, no guarenteed income or pension. We are 10 years from any SS...sometimes you gotta wonder what the heck are we thinking!! I know our family is constantly asking this.

What Mary and I are thinking is quite clear--at least for us. We are thinking that our current situation, although nice as it is, will soon be drastically altered. After 25 years in education, it is obvious that this environment is about to experience a severe down-sizing across the country as folks look for reasons to excuse their child's failures.

So it is with this insight, and the fact we are only getting older, that we have decided to follow in the tire tracks of Ma & Pa Joad -- our lives have sorta of mirrored that of the of the Joads.

Hoping to hear from others of the 2013 class and some of their concerns / preparations they are addressing as we count down.

Tim and Mary

North Carolina

My Sun Benders

Our Blog

So 2013, what are we doing to get ready?

In addition to "the obvious tasks", I am getting used to living with fewer things. Using less water, electric and being always aware of my how much I use. Learning as much as I can about RV systems, and going to some RV campouts to hang out with those living the life and learn about their concerns. Always keeping an eye out for the rig I want. I will be debt free when I start the journey. Unfortunately, most of what has to be done are "the obvious tasks." I started a blog to document the process, but also to keep me moving toward the goal, and for sharing the journey. Well, that's the plan anyway. See it at Plein Air Journey

Pleinguy

Solo Fulltimer

2004 Lazy Daze 23.5ft Twin-King

Class C Motorhome
PleinAirJourney.com

Hello,

We are newbies, shall we introduce ourselves here or is there another place? We are starting our full-time journey March 2013 and we are soooooo excited :D

Ju (Julio~Hubby) Dee (Deanna~me)

Julio (44) & Deanna (44)

2 Sons

3 Kittys

Fulltimers March 2013

Hello,

We are newbies, shall we introduce ourselves here or is there another place? We are starting our full-time journey March 2013 and we are soooooo excited :D

Julio (44) & Deanna (44)

2 Sons

3 Kittys

Fulltimers March 2013

Hello,

Welcome 2013 Classmate! Check out the Pre-union get together thread. here

Archived