What did you do to your bus today?

Liberty

I believe Fuzzy's name on the skoolie board is jim ray, that is his normal screen name. But he said he is not sure if he is even registered, he mainly reads for nostalgia.

Thanks for all the compliments on our coach, we really love it. It had final inspection today, oil change, undercarriage inspection, lubrication, brake inspection and lug nuts torqued. Tomorrow we will finish moving our stuff in, then shakedown cruise starts Wednesday. 8)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David & Lorna Schinske
... Jan. 21,22 & 23. A combined bus rally @ Quartszite, Ya'll come now, ya hear...

Can't make that but if you are going to be back in TorC for the Fiesta on May 6-11, 2011, we may see you... We plan on vending there and will be staying in the bus at the State Park (I can't make a rez until in November!).. We really enjoyed the Hot Springs Festival and the folks in TorC are so nice.

Stretched the legs on ours. Got 450 miles of a 1700 mile run to Georgia. Must have been Prevost day, saw 5 on the road and 1 Newell. The 'Birds should start showing up soon, the rally is in Georgia starting next Wednesday.

John & Cheryl Hintsala

"Orphan Annie"

2001 Bluebird LXi

Ravishing Rubi '09 Rubicon Unlimited

Smiling Jack '99 Harley Ultra Classic

riding on Rob, the ramp out back

Ocean Park, WA

Nothing done to the bus, but I found a fridge (Dometic), holding tanks, windows, an A/C unit, a Fantastic Fan, possibly a furnace, and a new utility trailer: an old Aljo 28' TT with serious water damage for $300. It's junk (in fact, I'm concerned enough about it's structural integrity that I plan to bring it home on secondary roads and not top 45MPH), but the frame is solid & it has plenty of good conversion parts.

I plan to build a utility trailer out of the frame & axles...which, being on a pair of 3000lb axles with electric brakes, should make for quite a trailer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John (and occasionally my wife Liz)

Former rigs: 1976 Holiday TT, 1984 Ford B-700 school bus

Current rig: 1993 International Genesis FE school bus conversion.

Wow, you did get good mpg! What engine do you have? We have a Detroit 60. Our milage for yesterday was 6.56, a couple days ago we did get over 7 . We are fully loaded, a Harley uUtra Classic on a lift, and towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. We are quite heavy. Little Rock last night, Birmingham tonight.

John & Cheryl Hintsala

"Orphan Annie"

2001 Bluebird LXi

Ocean Park, WA

Guest JUGGERNAUT
Detroit 60, fully loaded including my cast iron cookware, and pulling an X5 on a trailer:

sigmidsize.jpg

That is MUCH better mileage than we expected, and it included climbing to Denver!

And how did the climb go? Speed and engine temperature wise?

Thanks

BD

Temp never rose above normal. We did not hit a grade where the bus had to downshift out of sixth gear. Cruise control stayed at set speed, did not drop even one mph.

And we found out something last night, this conversion includes under floor heat! It was built for a Canadian buyer, that may be why the heat is so good. It has three systems we believe, 1. diesel fired under floor heat 2. Diesel fired forced air furnace 3. Electric baseboard heaters. We should survive here in Colorado. :P

And it rides like a dream!

Order of the day today is to continue trying to figure out how to operate the various systems. This bus is almost as complicated as a MINI Cooper. :D We think we know how to operate the heating systems now, but are going to test it out some more today. Air conditioning can wait till we get to Yuma. :P I've also tripped a GFCI and need to find the outlet to reset it.

Guest JUGGERNAUT
Order of the day today is to continue trying to figure out how to operate the various systems. This bus is almost as complicated as a MINI Cooper. :D We think we know how to operate the heating systems now, but are going to test it out some more today. Air conditioning can wait till we get to Yuma. :P I've also tripped a GFCI and need to find the outlet to reset it.

If you don't see the normal GFI receptacle with a reset button; you may have a panel installed GFI breaker.

If you don't see the normal GFI receptacle with a reset button; you may have a panel installed GFI breaker.

Thanks. I've already checked the circuit breaker panel and none are tripped. This is the only outlet in the coach that doesn't work and it's directly over the outside entertainment bay. I believe the GFCI receptacle that tripped is in that bay, but I'm too cold and lazy to check it right now. :lol:

Secured some Sat. TV coax, Leveled, made a mount for the outside temp. mount for DW bedside clock/in-out temp device AND had Direct TV service call to get us on the sat. What a day. More than one tv channel Yippee.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

Let ours join a whole flock of Blue Birds. About 70 here already and expecting more tomorrow!

John & Cheryl Hintsala

"Orphan Annie"

2001 Bluebird LXi

Ocean Park, WA

Put 1" film faced styrofoam in the bay door frames. The cafe door frames are made from 1" tubing so it is a nice fit.

We will have Liberty in some cold areas soon and wanted to be able to heat and keep heat in the wet areas.

Now I am looking for a thin sheet of some product to make a nice finish look. Thought of FRP or some such. I will look at THe Yard Store in ICT when we are home fro Christmas.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

Started the process of installing my Flexsteel pilot seat! Received the base, bolted up the power base and tested the seat controls. Verified location, will drill the holes in the morning, lay some tile and get it secured. Was a good time to clean up my electrical panel and make it look good. Onward and Upward!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

VIN # 7443

8v71 Allison HT 740

2011 Buick Enclave

Full Timing

Our Travel Blog

Temp never rose above normal. We did not hit a grade where the bus had to downshift out of sixth gear. Cruise control stayed at set speed, did not drop even one mph.

And we found out something last night, this conversion includes under floor heat! It was built for a Canadian buyer, that may be why the heat is so good. It has three systems we believe, 1. diesel fired under floor heat 2. Diesel fired forced air furnace 3. Electric baseboard heaters. We should survive here in Colorado. :rolleyes:

And it rides like a dream!

You will come to love the Detroit 60. 1996 - 1998 Detroit had the best engines out there. We had ten that we drove over 1,000,000 miles without overhaul. Then the government intervened. Still good engines, but nothing like those from 96- 98 models. ....and they are so much cheaper to repair than the Cats. I really wish the motorhome industry would use the Detroits; but you only find them in the buses. Love your new ride.

Just fluttering by in our "Crammit Inn".

2002 Carriage LS, FL60 Freightliner Crewcab- Just remember to wash your hands and say your prayers,

cause germs and God are everywhere.

You will come to love the Detroit 60. 1996 - 1998 Detroit had the best engines out there. We had ten that we drove over 1,000,000 miles without overhaul. Then the government intervened. Still good engines, but nothing like those from 96- 98 models. ....and they are so much cheaper to repair than the Detroits. I really wish the motorhome industry would use the Detroits; but you only find them in the buses. Love your new ride.

Thanks! Our friend who is an engineer with Cummins says it's a lump, but he might be prejudiced. :rolleyes: We love it!

We haven't had time to do anything to our bus right now because we're on assignment, but we should be back on the road within two weeks.

Finally found the secret code for our keyless entry. Coachcraft by McDonald provided one hour service time to each coach here at the rally. They would address any issue you

were having. The code works great, even found more relays and air lines than we knew we had.

John & Cheryl Hintsala

"Orphan Annie"

2001 Bluebird LXi

Ocean Park, WA

116 Blue Birds at the rally. It really was quite a sight to see so many gathered at one spot. Birds of all years flocked together for a week of good times. Will be same place and same time next year. Week of Oct. 19, Pine Mt. GA. Make plans now, I know there are other Birds out there that did not attend

John & Cheryl Hintsala

"Orphan Annie"

2001 Bluebird LXi

Ocean Park, WA

Ok, we've owned it a week, time to start the mods. :P

In our Winnebago, the hubby took out the 30" CRT HDTV and replaced it with a 40" LCD. We're going into movie withdrawals in the bus. Yesterday, hubby added home theater sound to the bedroom TV and today we're shopping for a big replacement TV.

Here's pics from the Winnebago install:

th_708035Arear.jpg

th_APR-MAY2009003.jpg

th_APR-MAY2009007.jpg

th_APR-MAY2009009.jpg

Archived