HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

Escapees Boot Camp  2-4 February, so yes North Ranch will be crowded for that short time.   Suspect there are available sites if you head up here.    Safe Travels.

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Rolled into Terlingua, TX last night. Got volunteered to judge a qualifier for the world chili cook off today. Judging included free beer and palate cleansers. Life is good.

unloaded the bikes and will take a ride tomorrow.  Weather is here, wish you were beautiful.;)

The rig draws a lot of attention, especially when we unload the smart.  The hours spent measuring, drawing, and thinking have paid off.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Rolled into Terlingua, TX last night. Got volunteered to judge a qualifier for the world chili cook off today. Judging included free beer and palate cleansers. Life is good.

unloaded the bikes and will take a ride tomorrow.  Weather is here, wish you were beautiful.;)

The rig draws a lot of attention, especially when we unload the smart.  The hours spent measuring, drawing, and thinking have paid off.

I believe Jim & Teri (They have a newmar X-aire like you) and are near Terlingua right now. They are staying at a friend's place, but pretty close to there. I wanted to visit there, but we passed right by and headed to AZ back at the end of Dec. Been loving the desert SW. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Sarah and I have been enjoying AZ since New Years and have spent the last 2+ weeks boondocking and loving it. We first tried boondocking at Synder Hill outside Tucson New Years Eve weekend. That isn't a great spot, but it was easy to find and get to and we cut our teeth there for a couple days. We figured out though our 5500 Onan Generator under light load surges a lot and was annoying to listen to for us and I'm sure our neighbors. While we were in an RV park in Tucson, we bought a little Honda EU2000i generator and headed west to Quartszite to join the Xscapers. We spent 9 days boondocking off Plomosa rd north of Quartszite the week befor the RV show and throughly enjoyed it. We had so much fun with the Xscapers group and made so many new friends. The little Honda generator was a game changer and allowed us to run it during the day so I could work. It is so quiet and sips fuel. We visited the Big Tent and RV show on Saturday and then headed south to American Girl Mine near Winterhaven, CA (just west of Yuma) to join the 2nd part of the Xscapers annual bash. We've currently been here for 7 days and may stay another day or two before we start making our way back towards Phoenix. The boondocking is something we've been wanting to try and we are hooked. We need a few more things to make it a bit better like a good battery monitor and an inverter so I don't always have to run the generator. The 500ah of 6v batteries should be good for awhile. Solar is on the horizon too, but still researching all that. 

8 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

I believe Jim & Teri (They have a newmar X-aire like you) and are near Terlingua right now. They are staying at a friend's place, but pretty close to there. I wanted to visit there, but we passed right by and headed to AZ back at the end of Dec. Been loving the desert SW. 

Yup, they stopped bye the first evening we were here. Their rig is very similar to ours. They're a few miles north of us.

I'm thinking this area might make a good place for am HDT/motorcycle rally some day.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Haha, guess who we just ran into in Gila Bend, AZ at the Holt's Shell station.. My wife saw the rig and the Raptor Toy hauler while she was outside the gas station and then sent me a picture (We are in the campground behind the gas station) I knew right away who it was. This is Richard's (Kingskids) old truck he just sold. We had met Davie & his wife in Quartszite with the Xscapers and had chatted with him extensively about HDT's and this truck. We had to go over and chat with Davie and his wife. They are headed back West where we just came from. 

BTW, this Holt's Shell station and RV park in Gila Bend, AZ is a good stop over point. (http://www.passportamerica.com/campgrounds/az/holtsshellrvpark1844) Their Passport America or Escapees rate is $11.99/night for full hook ups and you can fit an HDT in here. If you are too long, there is enough room to park your truck next to the trailer. They have laundry on site at the campground and the gas station does have free dump and water too if you are just passing through. They have both RV and truck fuel pumps too that make it easy to fill up. See my pics below of the campground space. 

IMG_20180202_151902-XL.jpg

IMG_20180202_153554-XL.jpg

This is the Holt's RV park. Nothing special, but for $11.99 daily rate with full hookups for as long as you want, it's a cheap place to stay.

IMG_20180202_162554-XL.jpg

IMG_20180202_162604-XL.jpg

Edited by BlueLghtning

• 2 weeks later...

It was bound to happen, when there are six Saturdays per week.

We rolled into the North Ranch, only to find we're a day early.  Oh well, word got out, Jeff and Cindy Brett meandered over to greet us.   Rumor has it there are a couple more HDTs in the 'hood.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Today marks 1 month that Sarah and I have been consistently boondocking and staying out of campgrounds with hookups (except the one night above at Holts RV to dump/fill) since we left Tuscon on Jan 12th. We dove head first into boondocking finally and we love it. We are now north of Phoenix about 3.5 miles off the paved road and Roger (HeWhoKnowsLittle) just came and joined us tonight. 

Tomorrow is our 6 month anniversary since we left for full time back in August and we have learned so much in that time!   

11 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Today marks 1 month that Sarah and I have been consistently boondocking and staying out of campgrounds with hookups (except the one night above at Holts RV to dump/fill) since we left Tuscon on Jan 12th. We dove head first into boondocking finally and we love it. We are now north of Phoenix about 3.5 miles off the paved road and Roger (HeWhoKnowsLittle) just came and joined us tonight. 

Tomorrow is our 6 month anniversary since we left for full time back in August and we have learned so much in that time!   

Well, I hope his generator doesn't bother your guys!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

1 hour ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Well, I hope his generator doesn't bother your guys!

Roger

Hey Roger,

You sure get around. Your like a bad penny. lol.

See you in Tennessee,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Still in Lakeland, at work, but next Thursday I will be heading to Jeepin' with Judd.

For you Jeepers, come join us at this event, it is a fundraiser for the Florida Sheriff's Youth Ranch organization.

There will be great weather, vendors, obstacle courses and trail rides. This is the forth year and the attendance will again grow I am sure.

http://jeepinwithjudd.com

https://www.facebook.com/jeepinwithjudd/

Edited by Parrformance
Addition

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

• 2 weeks later...

My back yard is the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.  Will be parked in this spot for a day or 2, then will move down to the dry camp spots.  Cant afford this site for the next week race.  They tell me it goes for $10,000 a week.  Just a little rich for my blood :D.  I will be working here for the race so they let us camp here for a few nights.  Hoping to have a good time, my job will be driving around in a golf cart making sure all the campers stay inline.
Chad, are you coming down for the race, if so I will be looking for you and hope to meet and say hello.

IKUAHohl.jpg

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

5 hours ago, dennisvr said:

My back yard is the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.  Will be parked in this spot for a day or 2, then will move down to the dry camp spots.  Cant afford this site for the next week race.  They tell me it goes for $10,000 a week.  Just a little rich for my blood :D.  I will be working here for the race so they let us camp here for a few nights.  Hoping to have a good time, my job will be driving around in a golf cart making sure all the campers stay inline.
Chad, are you coming down for the race, if so I will be looking for you and hope to meet and say hello.

IKUAHohl.jpg

Yes I am.  I’m heading out in the morning and will arrive in Vegas Monday afternoon some time.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

7 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Yes I am.  I’m heading out in the morning and will arrive in Vegas Monday afternoon some time.

Have a safe trip.  I'll be looking out for your KW.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 2/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, rickeieio said:

We rolled into the North Ranch, only to find we're a day early.  Oh well, word got out, Jeff and Cindy Brett meandered over to greet us.   Rumor has it there are a couple more HDTs in the 'hood.

Rick, we have two empty lots there....if you are staying for awhile we can accommodate you..... just email me.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

9 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Rick, we have two empty lots there....if you are staying for awhile we can accommodate you..... just email me.

Thanks Jack, but we're long gone.  Staying tonight in a gravel pit masquerading as a campground near  Waynesville, Mo.  Far cry from the last two days in Weatherford, Ok., where we had 110' of level concrete, then an 8' apron at each end.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Arrived at Las Vegas Motor Speedway today at around 11:30 am.  We are here with a group of friends for the NASCAR race next weekend.  dennisvr spotted us setting up and came over to say hi.  I’m sure we will see more of him since he is working the event this week.  I also plan to meet up with Vegas Teacher and hopefully Vegas Flyer while I am in town.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We're back at the farm in Indiana.  It was strange, waking up to green grass after 6 weeks bouncing around the south west.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

West Texas starts at Junction on I-10 or Abilene on I-20.

Sitting at Lost Alaskan in Alpine, Texas. Will be here all week.

Cowboy Poets  Gathering Friday and Saturday.We have been coming for 8 or 9 years.

In the past we made reservations a year ahead.They have changed the procedure.If anyone would like  to come next year, they will start taking reservation on June 1 of this year.

ShortyO

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Phoenix for a couple weeks in Feb and met up with Roger there and enjoyed some great boondocking in two different locations north of Phoenix. We left Phoenix and headed for Rodeo, NM to meet Jim & Teri for about a week at Rusty's RV Ranch. I know others from this forum have been there and it's very HDT friendly campground with super long pull through sites (200ft). Basically you share a pull through with your neighbor, but you are pointed in opposite directions and at the other end of each pull through so no overlapping. As much boondocking as we have been doing though, even 6 nights in a campground felt a bit too much for us. 

Now we are making our way to Moab via Abq. We stopped in Elephant Butte, NM and found a killer boondocking spot right off I-25 for two night. We have zero neighbors and are about 1.5 miles from the interstate. We'll head to Abq tomorrow and then continue  on towards Moab where we are joining them for another Convergence. 

Edited by BlueLghtning

• 2 months later...