HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blew out of Bend Wednesday afternoon and raced a couple antelope ( dropped of cruise as they passed in front....on our way to overnight at the fairgrounds in Burns, OR.... Dolly-the-paint-horse loves to make a few laps on the race track...

Thursday we  hoped to have enough parts and diesel to wonder over to Winnemucca then Lovelock, Fallon, and overnight at the Rodeo grounds at Hawthorne,NV.... 

NOT TO BE.........99 Miles out of Burns and 126 miles North of Winnemucca the Dollymomma called on the radio and said..."Old Blue just died".........I coasted the Dollytrolley into the ditch and walked back to the GMC and opened the hood and all looked OK........got in and cranked the engine but it was obvious that it was out of ignition timing......I crawled back under the hood and shined a bright light on the distributor cap and checked the hold down screws all was tight.......

The wind was freezing and a few snow flakes would blow by so I said we will get a tow to Winnemucca ..........it only took TEN hours to get the tow.........Fortunately Dolly was in the horse module in the toyhauler so we drove the 52 miles South to Mc Dermitt and dropped the toyhauler and Dolly at the rodeo grounds and then when the tow truck arrived he informed me that he could haul the GMC but that the tow insurance had forgot to include the horse trailer in tow behind the GMC.......hummm ....so.....I crank up the Dollytrolley and lead the tow truck 52 miles back North up Hwy 95 and load the pickup on the rollback and then the dispatcher calls and says that they will tow the trailer after all..........so the Dollytrolley just had a 104 mile milk run in the middle of the nite..........

Next day I tell the mechanic how the GMC seemed to have lost ignition timing so he ran the codes and NO codes were in the computer and the ECM self tested  perfect so..........he pulled the distributor cap off and the rotor fell out on top of the engine......one screw was still in the rotor and the other screw was in the bottom of the distributor.......a new cap and rotor was installed and we decided to celebrate by spending the evening at the Winnemucca rodeo / convention center watching the Western States Ranch Rodeo Finals and it was a great show......

Friday we departed Winnemucca in moderate rain and sleet but the weather started clearing South of Lovelock and was sunny at Fallon. The GMC need gas at Hawthorne and I helped a older gent with a new Volvo repair a airbag leveling valve anchor on the lower cross member when the pivot-rivet pulled out of the hole in the cross member........I cranked the generator and used a angle grinder to remove the rest of the rivet from the rod link end and then we installed a capscrew stolen from a air hose clamp on the Dollytrolley......

We wondered the another 100 miles south on Hwy 95 to overnight at the rodeo grounds at Tonopah (much new and much smoother paving the last 30 miles into Tonopah).........

Yesterday we departed Tonopah and had a lunch stop in Beatty and then drove south to the Last Chance Peak where the Dolly winter camp is just East of Death valley.......

We only had THIRTY tires on the road this trip .......and air  stayed in them all for the hobble down to Last Chance Peak Dolly-the-paint-horse camp.........all in all,  just another .....adventure in hay burner hauling.......

Drive on......(hay-burner in tow)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We are back home after a great summer of travel, camper got winterized today and truck and camper all parked in their winter storage spot. Still have travel plans just not in the rv, Disney for Christmas and New Years then head out west to Taos NM to spend the winter skiing there and in Co. with my son

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Heading for TN and KY tomorrow afternoon with my adult son for some R&R and off-roading.  We will be exploring the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway near Slade Kentucky. 

We will also visit Wooly's off-road park near Lynnville Tennessee, and Windrock ORV near Oliver Springs TN.

Then home to Florida in-time for Turkey Dinner:) 

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

We are currently in Tennessee, parked beside Lockemup68 at Texas T's CG.  We will leave tomorrow to head to Kentucky and the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway.

Jackalopee

In South Austin (Texas - Home of the 2017 World Series Champion Houston Astros :D). 
Across the street from Cabela's on I35. Will be here until the first week in March.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

11 hours ago, Parrformance said:

We are currently in Tennessee, parked beside Lockemup68 at Texas T's CG.  We will leave tomorrow to head to Kentucky and the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway.

Good ole Kentucky. My wife is from that area. south and east of Slade. We head there once or twice a year. Beautiful country but too many crooks and druggies. Be safe and keep your eyes open. Most of the law is crooked too.

11 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Thanks for the head's up Jenandjon, we will keep our eyes open.  We hope the trip will be fun and look forward to exploring the forest with friends.

Jackalopee

We left Harrison, AR on Nov 11th and headed back to GA to visit my parents and pick up my wife's Mini Cooper we had left behind. We found this coulple that has about 6-8 RV pads in their back yard in Gay, GA just 20mins south of my parents with full hookups and it's worked out great. We are going to leave Monday the 20th and head for New Orleans for Thanksgiving and then head to West TX after that. We'll probably try to catch up with Jim & Teri again in TX. 

Edited by BlueLghtning

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

3 hours ago, EdwardHall said:

Hey Blue,  Grab some shots of the pads and area for me, the wife is bugging me to do something like that now.

Ed

Sure, it's nothing too special. Because of the size our or rig and HDT, I asked to stay on the main gravel path where one of the spaces are right inside the gate. Some of the others are just on grass.  

10 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

then head to West TX after that

What part, and how long will ya be there?  We're hoping to head towards Big Bend/Alpine after Christmas.  Been there a couple of time and love it, espeiailly on bikes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

What part, and how long will ya be there?  We're hoping to head towards Big Bend/Alpine after Christmas.  Been there a couple of time and love it, espeiailly on bikes.

Now that I look at a map, I guess it isn't quite West, TX, but we are supposed to me up with Jim & Teri around Bandera, TX west of San Antonio. They are spending a month there. I'm not sure yet on how long we'll stay. Big Bend was on my list of places I haven't been yet, but want to see. May have to check out that area. 

Edited by BlueLghtning

At JGW RV park outside of Redding, CA visiting my wife’s family for the holidays.  We have a really nice site along the Sacramento River with a tall hedge separating our site from all the others.  Very private and plenty of room for the HDT, 5er and Jeep.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 11/23/2017 at 4:55 PM, Chad Heiser said:

At JGW RV park outside of Redding, CA visiting my wife’s family for the holidays.  We have a really nice site along the Sacramento River with a tall hedge separating our site from all the others.  Very private and plenty of room for the HDT, 5er and Jeep.

Thanks for the tour of your truck and trailer! It really enjoyed meeting you and your bride and to get to actually set eyes on a really nice setup! Don't know if/when things will ever come together to get my own rig, but I can still dream! 

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

1 hour ago, Buscrusher said:

Thanks for the tour of your truck and trailer! It really enjoyed meeting you and your bride and to get to actually set eyes on a really nice setup! Don't know if/when things will ever come together to get my own rig, but I can still dream! 

It was nice meeting you as well.  We just got home after a very nice, but short trip.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We in Gladewater TX. Finished a short job here and staying the month. If job is 2 weeks or more we just pay for a month. Leaving next weekend and headed to Livingston Escapees unless more work comes up.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We left New Orleans this morning headed to Bandera, TX. We made it to Sealy TX, just west of Katy this evening and will complete the remaining 3 hrs or so tomorrow.  Houston wasn't terrible today but man that is a bit nerve racking for sure. See my other thread about being pulled over today East of Beaumont, TX. Thankfully that was a non issue, just a state trooper that needed some education on HDT's. 

Traveled from Oskaloosa, Iowa by motorcycle to near the Kansas City Airport to load up and start the trip to Tallahassee, Florida. Left Friday morning about 0730 and arrived Tallahassee at 1830 Saturday evening. A short stop at Spacecraft for a last look around for a while, fill up with fuel and then a non stop to Sikeston, Mo. for food. Spent the night in the  parking lot with another pickup and 5th wheel that ran their generator all night. Left at 0530 with one stop for fuel. I have to remember to cross Jackson Mississippi off my list of cities to travel through it's not as bad as Hannibal. Mo. but almost. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 weeks later...

In Goshen Indiana getting the front jacks replaced then to Elkhart to get Mor/ryde ti check the rubber springs, I have lost 2 of them this year, and it looks like I have 2 more getting ready to go, they are not bonded correctly, rubber is good, just not attached to the metal mounting plates.

Then if no bad weather might head to Canton Ohio to see big Al.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg