RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Cute, Sharon!

I drove the truck today. Rick is using it to haul some stuff tomorrow so we took it out for a little joy ride and I drove. It has the automatic shifter so I still reach for a stick when I put the clutch in. I learned how to drive a stick when I was 16 and we have a toy car with a stick I drive occasionally.. And I put the clutch in too soon so my leg got tired, but I finally got the hang of it. I can do "rolling stops" pretty good now.

I don't drive this thing often so Rick was surprised that I didn't remember how to turn things on, when to pull the brake, etc. etc. Hopefully in a few years that won't be an issue because we will be traveling much more then.

Trish has the same situation. We do each try to drive the truck half the time, meaning that when the truck goes out we each try to drive it half the way. However, Trish drives the GMC each day to work and back while I usually stay home. After driving the car during the week, getting into the truck things are just enough different that she has to think about everything a little more ... and our truck is a 2-pedal auto.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year! Thought I would post an update on Richard - and thanks for the well wishes for him. He got a Christmas present from God on Christmas eve. We spend several fun filled hours in the ER in the neighboring town 40 minutes away, and after the cat scan, found that he had no broken ribs or cracked ones! Surprising considering he's 63 and fell 7' and landed on his side. He even passed out briefly, but thankfully he's tough and bouncy like an old tire!

As promised (finally), I have pictures of the van and the "kitty condo" here: http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z245/gametrailgirl/Sprinter%20Van%20Mods/?start=all - you may want to view it as a slideshow.

Hope you all have a safe and fun New Years!

Sharon

Oh goodness, Sharon! I didn't know he had fallen. Ugh! Glad he is on the mend!

So tell me about this van. Is this to replace the vehicle (SUV?) you were driving? And so basically you will haul the cats with you? Man, that is greatness!!!! What a set up!!!

Does it pull the boat, too? LOL

... and our truck is a 2-pedal auto.

Racquel, a 2-pedal auto? I'm not familiar with that term but I think we have the same thing. Basically, my transmission shifts automatically except when I need to stop or take off, then I have to apply the clutch. Is that what you have?

Alicia - it's a 3/4 ton diesel van, chosen for the fact that it's the only diesel van on the market, it's ability to carry weight inside (for the inevitable things that won't fit in the rv), plus it can pull the 4,000 lb boat with no problem. AND best of all - I can STAND up to deal with the cats - as opposed to crawling in on my knees in the suv. My boys get to ride in style now... A 6'2" person can stand up inside, so no more crawling for me - that was getting old with my cranky back and knees! Thanks for the compliments, so far, I'm very happy with it.

I guess everyone is just doing the laid back "nothing much" kind of day... We have been working on some organization that was needed, but that was only about 1 hour of our otherwise "useless" day! Still waiting for some really nice weather for fishing - should be some finally come Saturday/Sunday. Plus Richard's pain should be pretty much a thing of the past by then and we can get to catching some crappie (finally)! Seriously ladies - do not EVER go out of the truck forward - butt first upon exit! He already knew this, but had a stupid spell and has paid for it (and it could have been so much worse if he wasn't made out of old tire rubber)!

BIRTHDAY WISHES FOR THIS MONTH GO OUT TO: (sorry about the font sizes - they wouldn't work right!)

1/6 Gass, JoEllen

1/12 Gillam, Sharon

1/15 Selman, Susan

1/16 Jennings, Alana

1/19 Thurston, Gina

1/20 Carruth, Patricia

1/21 Penner, Christine

1/22 Bevington, Kathie

1/24 Ceote,Heather (Gedye)

1/25 Bruss, Dale

1/31 Burton,Cec

1/31 Marcy, Connie

Have a great first day of the new year everyone.

Now it's almost back to "normal life" again after Thanksgiving, Christmas, then New Years...

Edited by kingskids

Racquel, a 2-pedal auto? I'm not familiar with that term but I think we have the same thing. Basically, my transmission shifts automatically except when I need to stop or take off, then I have to apply the clutch. Is that what you have?

No. Your truck has 3-pedals, a clutch, a brake and accelerator. Our truck has 2-pedals, a brake and an accelerator. When we stop or start out we don't push in a clutch because there is none. All we do is let off the brake pedal press on the accelerator. In every other sense it's like yours in that it shifts automatically.

Alicia, I'm glad you got some "wheel time!" Keep up the good work! Unless you do a long haul where you need to rest the main driver, it is difficult to remember to get behind the wheel occasionally.

Sharon, I'm glad to hear that Richard might be feeling good enough to get crappie by the weekend. Such a scary fall for any of us! I hope you get tons of sunshine this weekend - we've had far too many cloudy days this winter. Thanks for posting the birthdays! I'm sure I will forget most before their day comes, but I can remember today - and maybe tomorrow!wink.gif

2-pedal, 3 pedal, steers, drives, weed burners, stacks... these are things we need to write down so Jack and Danielle can know where our gaps of information are and help us during those "Ladies Only" classes at the next rally. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again next year (and maybe meeting a few new faces - Rachel and Trish!)

Sue, I am getting excited to see how your truck bed is looking! The pictures I've seen lead me to believe that the end is very near! Hang in there!

Christmas and New Years was good for us. I've been working in Austin (temp winter job) since mid-November and will continue until late March. Having friends and family close by has been wonderful, but I am so ready to hit the road again! That 6 AM alarm clock is not my friend!

Glad to read all of the posts and say HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! I'm glad to have 2012 in the rear view mirror, so to speak! Raymond and I are looking forward to getting our home in Jax, FL on the market in (hopefully) early Spring. Since Raymond is still working, we only plan a few days at the Tampa RV SuperShow this month and the ECR in Crossville, TN in April. No HDT Rally for us this year....think we are replacing all tires so we'll be ready to "hit the open road" in early 2014. We are looking forward to seeing Davena, Henry & Kitty in FL soon. If you ever get near, I-95 EXIT 244 in Florida and want to stop by - give us a shout. Remember, also, send your favorite recipes as you find them! :rolleyes:

Edited by jags1fan

Sharon, thanks for the birthday reminders, I put then in my phone so I can remember then :rolleyes: . As DH keeps telling me," My mind is as long as my penis....That's right I don't have one :o ". I am relying more and more on my phone. God help me if it ever gets stolen! I will be so lost.

I am glad to hear that Richard is ok. God works in misterious ways, his wonders to preform....

I love the kitty condo. SWEEEEEEET :D. No more crawling in and out. Hope it contains the barfing problem.;)

New Ears Day?..... Cute

Jan 1 was our 36th anniversity and I spent it getting over a bug :( . Feeling better today. Actually feel human.

I hope everyones New Year celibration was fun and enjoyable. Looking forward to the new year. I am not making any New Years resolutions because I never keep them... so I am starting the new year off with no broken promises to myself.

Happy New Year everyone

Susan, you are right about being around family and friends during the holidays....this has been the Best Holiday Season ever. We are just 150 miles from my home town of Evansville, Indiana and was able to spend the holidays with my sister, brother and their family. We laughed and cackled until our sides hurt....it was a GREAT TIME....just what the doctor ordered.

Susan looks like you are about to become one year wiser on Jan. 15. Hope you do something special on your Birthday...Happy Birthday!

Talk about birthdays, I see where Alana Jennings is going to celebrate her birthday on Jan. 16.....never meet another Alana in my life, me being Alana Sue, and then I meet Alana Jennings....and the funny part is, her birthday is on Jan. 16, mine is November 16... Alot of people with the name Sue, but never Alana. NEAT! Happy Birthday Alana.

Sharon, glad Richard is doing better. Please let him know we are thinking about him and wish him a speedy recovery...after all....you guys have fish to catch. I predict..sunshine is in your near future. :)

Raquel and Trish, congratulations on your beautiful new ride. Another prediction....I'm sure you will have many many good times in your future..safe travels....East Coast Rally is in a new months

Off2YNP - Off 2 Yellowstone National Park...think we should tell Sharon and Richard to make sure they have their camera fully charged before they go to YNP? Breathtaking!

Susan: This rebuild is coming along nicely. Actually nicely is an understatement. Susan, your recommendation was RIGHT ON. Lights are being installed as we speak...one might say "we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel". Yeah!

Thanks everyone for your support on this re-do. We have reserved our spot at the East Coast rally...can't wait to see everyone. Safe Travels......&.....Happy New Year.

Alana Sue

Off2YNP - Off 2 Yellowstone National Park...think we should tell Sharon and Richard to make sure they have their camera fully charged before they go to YNP? Breathtaking!

Absolutely! A camera is a must and it honestly doesn't matter what kind. If your memory is like mine you are going to want the camera to remind you of the most wonderful creatures and sights you will ever see on this planet!

Alana Sue, please refresh my memory: you got married last year and had the new truck with a few problems? If that is correct, Rick was telling em that your rig is almost complete. That must be exciting for you!

And FYI: I received a text from Suzan Craven: Boomer's mom. She said they finally moved into their new home (bricks and sticks) and spent their first night in it on New Year's Eve!! Susan said it was a balmy 4 degrees!! brrrrrr

Edited by Off2YNP

And FYI: I received a text from Sue Craven: Boomer's mom. She said they finally moved into their new home (bricks and sticks) and spent their first night in it on New Year's Eve!! Susan said it was a balmy 4 degrees!! brrrrrr

Actually, my memory is probably much worse than yours - so yes, a camera is a must! I have to say that I miss my "old backyard" in CO though - we had deer, elk, pronghorn, jackrabbits (big un's), little bunnies, coyotes, hawks, and the occasional owl and fox IN our yard. No rv site anywhere we've been yet has been able to offer such the "critter paradise"! Looking forward to Yellowstone this summer!

BTW, did Suzan say if they sold their home yet? Hopefully she will come back and visit with us again soon...

Off2YNP: Marriage - YES --we got married one week before the Hutchinson Rally, 2011....In fact....we were introduced at the Hutch Rally as "The Newly Weds".

Again, YES, it was us who had the ... new to us... HDT and the smart car loader with issues - but the good news - each issue is being addressed...one by one...and soon we will be "On the Road Again". We started this whole HDT process 15 months ago........a long ordeal!

But, we are getting everything fixed..........and looking GOOD.

Alana Sue

That's good to hear, Sue!

Aggie, 36 years of marriage? Heck, were you ten year sold when you married??? :) Congrats and hope you are feeling better.

Susan, that is a good idea for Jack to add. You are in Austin? Hope you are enjoying yourselves down there. That's a neat city to be and I'd like to explore it some day.

Thought I'd start a roll call every month. It would be neat to know where everyone is right now, even sticks and bricks because you're not always going to be home, right?

Here we go....

Roll Call:

Alicia/Off2YNP: Wylie TX (stix/brix) - will take the house on wheels to San Diego in Feb!

Thought I'd start a roll call every month. It would be neat to know where everyone is right now, even sticks and bricks because you're not always going to be home, right?

Here we go....

Roll Call:

Alicia/Off2YNP: Wylie TX (stix/brix) - will take the house on wheels to San Diego in Feb!

Trish and Raquel: Paradise, California (5er) for the foreseeable future.

Trey and Susan: Buda, TX (just south of Austin) We are both working here until the second or third week of March. We are parked right next door to Cabela's so if you head this way, stop by and say hello!

Janet, how is the cookbook coming? I never sent in any recipes Is there still time? Don't wait for me, cause my schedule is not my own right now, but will try to get something together by next weekend if it is not too late. Sorry for the procrastination - it just seems like we've been living in the fast lane ever since we left Hutchinson. Oh, how I long for the end of March!

To those of you still traveling, be safe in the road!

Nice Idea, Alicia

Janet and Raymond -- working on clearing, painting, staging sticks and bricks in Jacksonville, FL to list by Spring and spending some time in Oak Hill, FL at 'home base' Citrus Acres!

Looking forward to Tampa RV SuperShow 16-20 January and then ECR Crossville TN 6-13 April '13. Other than that we'll be between Jax and Oak Hill the rest of the year. Can't wait til Feb 2014. :lol: