RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Yep, that's what I had in mind - stuff "other than truck stuff" - anything and everything - from recipes to organizational tips, to craft ideas, to... Whatever. Us gals never have any problem finding things to talk about do we?? The guys sure don't!

Well, off to tidy up for tomorrow's departure for another 7 hours or so on the road. Alabama's crappie are jumping with excitement at us trying to catch them and throw them in a hot pan... At least I HOPE so! Later gals... Have a great evening.

Sharon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, how about this idea? If not a forum just for RDBE, how about making a new Post called RDBE and making it a sticky? I personally do not contribute to this thread because it is so hard to find. If it were a sticky, then I could find it more easily, you know? I think there would be more activity if it were more visible and easily attainable. And if the thread grows then perhaps a forum can be created.

Also, I think we need to be reminded this resource is here. I had forgotten until Davena sent an email last week. Maybe Davena or someone can do a quarterly update? i dont' know, just thinking out loud here.

It reminds me of the old chicken and egg question. Which came first?

Well we had a NOT so lovely time of trying to getting 70' of truck and trailer around a way too tight corner, and blocking traffic both directions for about an hour while Richard had to BACK up the hill and around the curve. There was a VERY small sign where we turned off the main hwy that said "no 18 wheelers" - well heck - first, neither of us saw it, and secondly, we are not an 18 wheeler. Alabama needs to take a page out of the Colorado book and say something like "no vehicles over 35 feet" - now that's an instruction that any moron can understand. Even if we had seen it, we wouldn't have thought it meant us - we only have 12 wheels, and we think that means the 80,000 pound guys, not us 24,000 ones! NOT a pleasant day. Note to self - call the rv park in the future to see if there's a "preferred" way to get there - the gps is notorious for sending us the wrong way. Time to look into a truckers gps I think!

Drive safe everyone - happy trails,

Sharon

Well we had a NOT so lovely time of trying to getting 70' of truck and trailer around a way too tight corner, and blocking traffic both directions for about an hour while Richard had to BACK up the hill and around the curve. There was a VERY small sign where we turned off the main hwy that said "no 18 wheelers" - well heck - first, neither of us saw it, and secondly, we are not an 18 wheeler. Alabama needs to take a page out of the Colorado book and say something like "no vehicles over 35 feet" - now that's an instruction that any moron can understand. Even if we had seen it, we wouldn't have thought it meant us - we only have 12 wheels, and we think that means the 80,000 pound guys, not us 24,000 ones! NOT a pleasant day. Note to self - call the rv park in the future to see if there's a "preferred" way to get there - the gps is notorious for sending us the wrong way. Time to look into a truckers gps I think!

Drive safe everyone - happy trails,

Sharon

Ooeeewww ... doesn't sound like fun at all. I think that I would have figured it didn't pertain to us. Trish says she would think that it was meant for us. In that case, I guess it would have been up to whomever was driving at the time. A trucker's GPS came with with our truck when we bought it but, we don't have our trailer yet. Half the time we don't pay attention to its warnings about going down a road because we're bobtail. However, I think it's probably a good thing to have, especially with these giants.

Edited by Raquel

Well we had a NOT so lovely time of trying to getting 70' of truck and trailer around a way too tight corner, and blocking traffic both directions for about an hour while Richard had to BACK up the hill and around the curve.

Oh, Sharon, You just lived though one of my nightmares! I am glad it ended up okay. ~Susan

We're looking for a program for the Ipad for a truckers gps as we're not really wanting to get a separate stand alone unit if possible. Still researching, but definitely MORE interested in finding it now! And yes, it had been one of our nightmares too, and not that it's "out of the way" - it would be nice if we didn't have to repeat it, but the odds aren't in our favor...

Drive safe ladies!

Sharon

We're looking for a program for the Ipad for a truckers gps as we're not really wanting to get a separate stand alone unit if possible. Still researching, but definitely MORE interested in finding it now! And yes, it had been one of our nightmares too, and not that it's "out of the way" - it would be nice if we didn't have to repeat it, but the odds aren't in our favor...

Drive safe ladies!

Sharon

We really like Google Navigator on our Android and have been trying to find truck navigation to work with it, but have been drawing a big blank. So, we finally gave up and bought lifetime updates for our Garmin. :(

Oh Sharon! That sounds like a big ordeal! It's one of my fears, too. Glad nothing got torn up.

Raquel, I was reading month or so ago, are you in the process of buying a tractor? Or trailer? or both? LOL When do you expect to be fulltiming?

Edited by Off2YNP

Oh Sharon! That sounds like a big ordeal! It's one of my fears, too. Glad nothing got torn up.

Raquel, I was reading month or so ago, are you in the process of buying a tractor? Or trailer? or both? LOL When do you expect to be fulltiming?

Hi,

We've bought our tractor. Two weeks ago we flew down to Phoenix to get our truck and spent 2 days driving it home. On the way home we stopped at a dealer who handles the trailer we're interested in. We expect to have our trailer sometime in the next year. However, Trish doesn't retire for 4 years. Once we get the trailer we'll move into it. Do we become "full-timers" when we move in or once Trish retires?

You're a "full timer" when you LIVE in the rig full time. You don't have to go anywhere, but if you don't live in a S&B, but in the rig, you're a genuine FT'er.

There's a "new and improved" copilot truck program coming soon. Hubby is researching it as I type... I had heard that the eastern part of the US was more of a challenge than the west, and so far, we'll agree. Roads are narrower, rv spots seem to be tighter together, and of course more people and traffic. Oh, and the bloody trees!! We're getting to the point of disliking trees - we've had a few too many close calls with trees and the rig - and the darn things keep us from getting satellite signal. Our west, we just don't have as many trees and such... Oh well, we'll get to go back west for the summer, but back out east again for the fall and winter...

Watch out for those tight curves ladies - and I don't mean the curves we're supposed to have! :P

There's a "new and improved" copilot truck program coming soon. Hubby is researching it as I type... I had heard that the eastern part of the US was more of a challenge than the west, and so far, we'll agree. Roads are narrower, rv spots seem to be tighter together, and of course more people and traffic. Oh, and the bloody trees!! We're getting to the point of disliking trees - we've had a few too many close calls with trees and the rig - and the darn things keep us from getting satellite signal. Our west, we just don't have as many trees and such... Oh well, we'll get to go back west for the summer, but back out east again for the fall and winter...

Watch out for those tight curves ladies - and I don't mean the curves we're supposed to have! :P

We saw this sign today and thought of you guys. unsure.gif Your original post reminded me of the time I was hanging off of the ladder on the 5th wheel so that I could see if we were going to get under a bridge in GA. We missed it by no more than 2 inches! The real excitement happened when I thought we were free and clear and then realized that the road dipped under the bridge and ramped up on either side. blink.gif We wish you happier, less-eventful travels in the beautiful Southeast! Hug a tree for me - it's awfully barren out here in the desert!

Heidi

Heidi - I just can't make myself hug a tree out here in snake country! I personally like the desert - no trees to block the satellite signal, no trees to scrape off the silk screen windows, no trees to have to scrape by as you get into or out of a site. I like trees if it's hot and I'm sitting under one, but otherwise, from an RV standpoint, they're a bloody pain in the patushky! So how were you communicating with Robert when you were hanging off the ladder on the back of the rig? That MUST have been rather scary! I don't even want to do our ladder when the rig is standing still. I'm not afraid of heights, just ladders (go figure!!)!

Aggie, you know I haven't even read many of the escapees magazines at all, just never seem to find the time, but that was one of the few I've read, and SO glad I did. I've found that the places that I'm happiest to have the little "baskets" is the medicine chest area (weird shapes there), and in the fridge to keep things from sliding and tipping so bad. Not to say that there aren't more in the "house" than that, but those are the "most appreciated" ones.

Travel safely all - happy trails,

Sharon

Sharon, I've seen more snakes out here in the desert than I ever did in the Southeast! R and the girls hiked to the bottom of a butte the other day and on the way down they all passed a rattler. Argh! Glad I was babysitting half-way down the base! When it's July over there, trees are mighty welcome, I can tell you!

Hand-held radios are a God-send. It was a bit precarious, though, holding on to the ladder, watching the bridge, and holding a walkie talkie in the other hand... No need for caffeine that day!

As to the baskets, I just made some for our sweater organizer in the closet. Got tired of picking socks up out of the closet floor every time we moved!

Heidi

Hey Sharon;

Thanks for the tip on those little baskets. They are starting to pop up all over the place. So handy when you have a lot of little things that don't fit anywhere and are allways falling out of a cabinet or getting lost ( Tubes of chap stick :) )

Aggie

I saw Aggie's baskets yesterday. She did a wonderful job on them - they are amazing!

Fitted lids... curved contours... very customized... much fancier than I ever imagined doing with plastic grid and yarn.

Sharon, I've seen more snakes out here in the desert than I ever did in the Southeast! R and the girls hiked to the bottom of a butte the other day and on the way down they all passed a rattler. Argh! Glad I was babysitting half-way down the base!

Heidi

AACCKK! Glad everyone is okay. Are y'all out West much longer?

Heidi - EEEK - how scary for the kids and Robert! I heard the other day from someone somewhere (can't remember), that many rattlesnakes no longer rattle to warn you. According to this guy, they've learned that it warns their prey and scares them off, so keep in mind that you MAY NOT hear the rattle snake! We haven't ventured much into the west to explore as we would like because of our twice a year trips to MO to see step mom. That really messes up a nice long trip out west. Still working on how best to go the places we want and still be able to visit with "mom"...

We're thinking strongly about what to do to be proactive and hopefully avoid the need for climbing on the ladder - which would be super challenging with the suv/boat to park and get out of the way just to be able to hang off the ladder on the rig... Knowing you two, and your great dispositions, you both probably got a good laugh over it all later (not at the moment of course)!

Aggie - it doesn't surprise me that you made a work of art out of your baskets - I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Trey & Susan - got a nice park to add to your list - do I add it or do you? It's this place in Guntersville, AL (http://rvcampresort.com/littlemountain.aspx). Just let me know if you want me to add it or if you do - or if you don't want it added for some reason. We're camped one space away from the lake, near the boat slips... Probably will be one of the best views we have from most future campsites for sure. Nice fishing here too...

Trey & Susan - got a nice park to add to your list - do I add it or do you? It's this place in Guntersville, AL (http://rvcampresort....lemountain.aspx). Just let me know if you want me to add it or if you do - or if you don't want it added for some reason. We're camped one space away from the lake, near the boat slips... Probably will be one of the best views we have from most future campsites for sure. Nice fishing here too...

Sharon, it is better if you submit the information yourself. That way, you can fill in accurate information based on your stay there. Any pictures you can include of the roads and sites are even more helpful. The main HHRV Campgrounds page is here: http://hhrvcampgrounds.com/index.asp. Just click the "Campground Submission" link on the blue bar at the top. This site has really helped us find some good places to stay. Thanks for adding to it!

Are you getting much fishing in? It has to be better than your trip last Fall, right? ~S

Susan, got the campground submitted. Will try to take some pictures tomorrow. Weather right now is kinda cruddy (shades of last fall's fishing trip now that you mention it). But the last couple of days were decent fishing. Met a guy who had us go collect the big catfish from his jug lines, and keep the fish. Smoked and canned it - tasty stuff. Got 10 crappie the next day. Hoping that tomorrow and Wed are good weather, but it's not supposed to be. Fishing license expires on Wed, and since we'll leave on Friday morning to head over to the rally, there's no point in another license. This silly state (my birth state I might add) only does SEVEN day licenses - no single or triple day ones available. So no desire to renew this trip... But it's been fun even if we don't get any more fishing in. Looking forward to the rally though.

We had a bad sensor in the truck coming from MS to AL and blew black soot all the way. Wouldn't have believe how nasty it was inside the house! Even inside the cabinets, the plastic ware was dirty in the cabinets! The floors, carpet, etc... YUCK! I'm still cleaning (when not fishing that is)...

Susan, we are in the West for the next near future. Not sure when we'll go 'home' or even where that is! Enjoying the beauty right now.

Hey, I hear congratulations are in order - with the new license and all! Good job!!

For what it's worth, I have asked R to put me behind the wheel at least once a week. He is holding up his end of the bargain and it is really helping me be more comfortable.

Way to go Heidi - at least you're getting to get comfortable with the rig. My only "experience" is sometimes (rarely) around the campground. Kinda the pits having the two vehicles and spending our driving time in separate vehicles, but that's the price tag of wanting a boat to fish from... It's not so bad with books on cd - time passes quickly, and we get so engrossed in the plot that we don't want to spend time on the walkie talkies just gabbing. We have evenings, pit stops, and meals to gab anyway...

Wish you guys were here - this is a lovely campground with HUGE spaces and a beautiful 25 acre lake that we can fish (without the boat). Travel safe and tell the kiddos and Robert hi from us.

Thanks, ladies, for your well wishes on the test. I am ever so glad it is over!

Sharon, how do you can and smoke fish in the trailer? Do you have special equipment? Do you work in small batches? Inside or outside? I am intrigued. As we have shopped various farmer's markets in areas where we have visited, I've wondered about preserving some of our "finds."

Sorry about your soot issues. Sounds like a huge job to get cleaned up. Did any odor linger?

Heidi, glad you are getting consistent drive time. Trey "forced" me to practice every day (some times twice a day!) and I was amazed at how much more comfortable I became with each experience. I hope your tranny issues don't get in the way of more time for you. My heart sank when I saw Robert's post this afternoon about it happening again. Praying for safety and patience for you all as you work to get past this bump in the road!

~Susan