RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

We're looking for a program for the Ipad for a truckers gps...

Sorry to get in on the ladies thread but here is one option Copilot live ~Trey

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GASP! A MAN! :lol:

Thanks, Trey! I'll have to do some research (reviews, etc.).

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Oh Sharon! That sounds like a big ordeal! It's one of my fears, too. Glad nothing got torn up.

Raquel, I was reading month or so ago, are you in the process of buying a tractor? Or trailer? or both? LOL When do you expect to be fulltiming?

Edited by Off2YNP

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

I don't see where this app offers "trucker" (RV) routing. Reviews don't look all that good either.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

Oh Sharon! That sounds like a big ordeal! It's one of my fears, too. Glad nothing got torn up.

Raquel, I was reading month or so ago, are you in the process of buying a tractor? Or trailer? or both? LOL When do you expect to be fulltiming?

Hi,

We've bought our tractor. Two weeks ago we flew down to Phoenix to get our truck and spent 2 days driving it home. On the way home we stopped at a dealer who handles the trailer we're interested in. We expect to have our trailer sometime in the next year. However, Trish doesn't retire for 4 years. Once we get the trailer we'll move into it. Do we become "full-timers" when we move in or once Trish retires?

Trish & Raquel

--------

You're a "full timer" when you LIVE in the rig full time. You don't have to go anywhere, but if you don't live in a S&B, but in the rig, you're a genuine FT'er.

There's a "new and improved" copilot truck program coming soon. Hubby is researching it as I type... I had heard that the eastern part of the US was more of a challenge than the west, and so far, we'll agree. Roads are narrower, rv spots seem to be tighter together, and of course more people and traffic. Oh, and the bloody trees!! We're getting to the point of disliking trees - we've had a few too many close calls with trees and the rig - and the darn things keep us from getting satellite signal. Our west, we just don't have as many trees and such... Oh well, we'll get to go back west for the summer, but back out east again for the fall and winter...

Watch out for those tight curves ladies - and I don't mean the curves we're supposed to have! :P

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

There's a "new and improved" copilot truck program coming soon. Hubby is researching it as I type... I had heard that the eastern part of the US was more of a challenge than the west, and so far, we'll agree. Roads are narrower, rv spots seem to be tighter together, and of course more people and traffic. Oh, and the bloody trees!! We're getting to the point of disliking trees - we've had a few too many close calls with trees and the rig - and the darn things keep us from getting satellite signal. Our west, we just don't have as many trees and such... Oh well, we'll get to go back west for the summer, but back out east again for the fall and winter...

Watch out for those tight curves ladies - and I don't mean the curves we're supposed to have! :P

We saw this sign today and thought of you guys. unsure.gif Your original post reminded me of the time I was hanging off of the ladder on the 5th wheel so that I could see if we were going to get under a bridge in GA. We missed it by no more than 2 inches! The real excitement happened when I thought we were free and clear and then realized that the road dipped under the bridge and ramped up on either side. blink.gif We wish you happier, less-eventful travels in the beautiful Southeast! Hug a tree for me - it's awfully barren out here in the desert!

Heidi

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

Hey Sharon;

Thanks for the tip on those little baskets. They are starting to pop up all over the place. So handy when you have a lot of little things that don't fit anywhere and are allways falling out of a cabinet or getting lost ( Tubes of chap stick :) )

Aggie

<p>Greg and AggieLife is what happens when you're making plans to do something else !

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360

Heidi - I just can't make myself hug a tree out here in snake country! I personally like the desert - no trees to block the satellite signal, no trees to scrape off the silk screen windows, no trees to have to scrape by as you get into or out of a site. I like trees if it's hot and I'm sitting under one, but otherwise, from an RV standpoint, they're a bloody pain in the patushky! So how were you communicating with Robert when you were hanging off the ladder on the back of the rig? That MUST have been rather scary! I don't even want to do our ladder when the rig is standing still. I'm not afraid of heights, just ladders (go figure!!)!

Aggie, you know I haven't even read many of the escapees magazines at all, just never seem to find the time, but that was one of the few I've read, and SO glad I did. I've found that the places that I'm happiest to have the little "baskets" is the medicine chest area (weird shapes there), and in the fridge to keep things from sliding and tipping so bad. Not to say that there aren't more in the "house" than that, but those are the "most appreciated" ones.

Travel safely all - happy trails,

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

Sharon, I've seen more snakes out here in the desert than I ever did in the Southeast! R and the girls hiked to the bottom of a butte the other day and on the way down they all passed a rattler. Argh! Glad I was babysitting half-way down the base! When it's July over there, trees are mighty welcome, I can tell you!

Hand-held radios are a God-send. It was a bit precarious, though, holding on to the ladder, watching the bridge, and holding a walkie talkie in the other hand... No need for caffeine that day!

As to the baskets, I just made some for our sweater organizer in the closet. Got tired of picking socks up out of the closet floor every time we moved!

Heidi

2013 Space Craft

Hey Sharon;

Thanks for the tip on those little baskets. They are starting to pop up all over the place. So handy when you have a lot of little things that don't fit anywhere and are allways falling out of a cabinet or getting lost ( Tubes of chap stick :) )

Aggie

I saw Aggie's baskets yesterday. She did a wonderful job on them - they are amazing!

Fitted lids... curved contours... very customized... much fancier than I ever imagined doing with plastic grid and yarn.

Sharon, I've seen more snakes out here in the desert than I ever did in the Southeast! R and the girls hiked to the bottom of a butte the other day and on the way down they all passed a rattler. Argh! Glad I was babysitting half-way down the base!

Heidi

AACCKK! Glad everyone is okay. Are y'all out West much longer?

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Heidi - EEEK - how scary for the kids and Robert! I heard the other day from someone somewhere (can't remember), that many rattlesnakes no longer rattle to warn you. According to this guy, they've learned that it warns their prey and scares them off, so keep in mind that you MAY NOT hear the rattle snake! We haven't ventured much into the west to explore as we would like because of our twice a year trips to MO to see step mom. That really messes up a nice long trip out west. Still working on how best to go the places we want and still be able to visit with "mom"...

We're thinking strongly about what to do to be proactive and hopefully avoid the need for climbing on the ladder - which would be super challenging with the suv/boat to park and get out of the way just to be able to hang off the ladder on the rig... Knowing you two, and your great dispositions, you both probably got a good laugh over it all later (not at the moment of course)!

Aggie - it doesn't surprise me that you made a work of art out of your baskets - I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Trey & Susan - got a nice park to add to your list - do I add it or do you? It's this place in Guntersville, AL (http://rvcampresort.com/littlemountain.aspx). Just let me know if you want me to add it or if you do - or if you don't want it added for some reason. We're camped one space away from the lake, near the boat slips... Probably will be one of the best views we have from most future campsites for sure. Nice fishing here too...

Richard & Sharon

Trey & Susan - got a nice park to add to your list - do I add it or do you? It's this place in Guntersville, AL (http://rvcampresort....lemountain.aspx). Just let me know if you want me to add it or if you do - or if you don't want it added for some reason. We're camped one space away from the lake, near the boat slips... Probably will be one of the best views we have from most future campsites for sure. Nice fishing here too...

Sharon, it is better if you submit the information yourself. That way, you can fill in accurate information based on your stay there. Any pictures you can include of the roads and sites are even more helpful. The main HHRV Campgrounds page is here: http://hhrvcampgrounds.com/index.asp. Just click the "Campground Submission" link on the blue bar at the top. This site has really helped us find some good places to stay. Thanks for adding to it!

Are you getting much fishing in? It has to be better than your trip last Fall, right? ~S

Susan, got the campground submitted. Will try to take some pictures tomorrow. Weather right now is kinda cruddy (shades of last fall's fishing trip now that you mention it). But the last couple of days were decent fishing. Met a guy who had us go collect the big catfish from his jug lines, and keep the fish. Smoked and canned it - tasty stuff. Got 10 crappie the next day. Hoping that tomorrow and Wed are good weather, but it's not supposed to be. Fishing license expires on Wed, and since we'll leave on Friday morning to head over to the rally, there's no point in another license. This silly state (my birth state I might add) only does SEVEN day licenses - no single or triple day ones available. So no desire to renew this trip... But it's been fun even if we don't get any more fishing in. Looking forward to the rally though.

We had a bad sensor in the truck coming from MS to AL and blew black soot all the way. Wouldn't have believe how nasty it was inside the house! Even inside the cabinets, the plastic ware was dirty in the cabinets! The floors, carpet, etc... YUCK! I'm still cleaning (when not fishing that is)...

Richard & Sharon

Susan, we are in the West for the next near future. Not sure when we'll go 'home' or even where that is! Enjoying the beauty right now.

Hey, I hear congratulations are in order - with the new license and all! Good job!!

For what it's worth, I have asked R to put me behind the wheel at least once a week. He is holding up his end of the bargain and it is really helping me be more comfortable.

2013 Space Craft

Way to go Heidi - at least you're getting to get comfortable with the rig. My only "experience" is sometimes (rarely) around the campground. Kinda the pits having the two vehicles and spending our driving time in separate vehicles, but that's the price tag of wanting a boat to fish from... It's not so bad with books on cd - time passes quickly, and we get so engrossed in the plot that we don't want to spend time on the walkie talkies just gabbing. We have evenings, pit stops, and meals to gab anyway...

Wish you guys were here - this is a lovely campground with HUGE spaces and a beautiful 25 acre lake that we can fish (without the boat). Travel safe and tell the kiddos and Robert hi from us.

Richard & Sharon

Thanks, ladies, for your well wishes on the test. I am ever so glad it is over!

Sharon, how do you can and smoke fish in the trailer? Do you have special equipment? Do you work in small batches? Inside or outside? I am intrigued. As we have shopped various farmer's markets in areas where we have visited, I've wondered about preserving some of our "finds."

Sorry about your soot issues. Sounds like a huge job to get cleaned up. Did any odor linger?

Heidi, glad you are getting consistent drive time. Trey "forced" me to practice every day (some times twice a day!) and I was amazed at how much more comfortable I became with each experience. I hope your tranny issues don't get in the way of more time for you. My heart sank when I saw Robert's post this afternoon about it happening again. Praying for safety and patience for you all as you work to get past this bump in the road!

~Susan

Susan, canning and smoking on the road is as easy as it would be at home with the right stuff... We have the small "Smoke It" smoker (about 15" square and around 25" tall), which is great for things like pork butts, fish, round steak (not the best cut of meat for tenderness normally, but pressure canned - oooh la la!). For the canning, we have a gasket-less All American Pressure Canner (15 qt size), and a stand alone "hot plate" (forget the name - something special - cast iron, not coils) that we just put on the counter top. Obviously it can be done outside if it's hot inside and you don't want to heat up the house too much. We generally just can one batch at a time - which is 7 quarts or 7 pints, or 7 pints and 7 half pints (this one we've not done yet, but plan on doing so next time). You can even make things like ham and bean soup, potato soup, and such without precooking the dry beans - put them in dry, pressure can them, and voila - dinner in a jar for those nights when you played or drove too long and don't want to eat out or there's nothing good in the fridge! We will likely start doing more canning than we have in the past now that we've discovered recipes for "no cook" soups and such. These will be great for when we fish till dark, then have to clean the fish and get showers, and there's just no time left to make dinner from scratch.

If you're coming to the ECR, please feel free to look over our "supplies" to see if it interests you as something you might want to do. Believe it or not, the whole canning thing was Richard's idea from the get go - I never canned in my life till he got us started... Fun and oh so economical for great home cooked goodies. Only problem is storing all the things one wants to can!!! :D

Poor Heidi and Robert! Between their truck issues and ours, we've got the repair facilities thanking us! Glad you're back to normal again guys!

Richard & Sharon

Been a busy month, so just now catching up!

Heidi! Your story about hanging off the ladder of the trailer give me goose bumps!! Wow!! Also, sorry to hear of your truck issues. Hope it gets figured out soon. Be safe out there!

Susan, congrats on passing the certification! That's quite an accomplishment!

Sharon, what did you ever decide to name your orange cat? You were trying on different names for him in October so which one stuck? LOL

Racquel, sounds like you guys have a good plan. We don't know if we will ever be true full timers even after retiring. I think we will always come back to a home, so we would be considered part-timers.

Rick is taking the trailer up to Indiana to get fitted for automatic levelers and to get the suspension replaced. He's going by himself because my plate has become so full with a new business. But after he comes back he will be here for a week and then we are all on the road to Yellowstone!!!! So excited. Greatest place on earth! I am really hoping for some good grizzly and wolf photos this time. Fingers crossed!

About driving the tractor:

Sharon, do you ever drive the tractor or just the SUV?

Heidi, it's great that Robert has you driving. I need to do that. It's just the smart thing to do.

Raquel, does Trish drive? She will need to learn, too.

Okay, back to work. hope everyone has a fantastic week!

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

Susan, canning and smoking on the road is as easy as it would be at home with the right stuff... We have the small "Smoke It" smoker (about 15" square and around 25" tall), which is great for things like pork butts, fish, round steak (not the best cut of meat for tenderness normally, but pressure canned - oooh la la!). For the canning, we have a gasket-less All American Pressure Canner (15 qt size), and a stand alone "hot plate" (forget the name - something special - cast iron, not coils) that we just put on the counter top. Obviously it can be done outside if it's hot inside and you don't want to heat up the house too much. We generally just can one batch at a time - which is 7 quarts or 7 pints, or 7 pints and 7 half pints (this one we've not done yet, but plan on doing so next time). You can even make things like ham and bean soup, potato soup, and such without precooking the dry beans - put them in dry, pressure can them, and voila - dinner in a jar for those nights when you played or drove too long and don't want to eat out or there's nothing good in the fridge! We will likely start doing more canning than we have in the past now that we've discovered recipes for "no cook" soups and such. These will be great for when we fish till dark, then have to clean the fish and get showers, and there's just no time left to make dinner from scratch.

If you're coming to the ECR, please feel free to look over our "supplies" to see if it interests you as something you might want to do. Believe it or not, the whole canning thing was Richard's idea from the get go - I never canned in my life till he got us started... Fun and oh so economical for great home cooked goodies. Only problem is storing all the things one wants to can!!! :D

Poor Heidi and Robert! Between their truck issues and ours, we've got the repair facilities thanking us! Glad you're back to normal again guys!

This is something I've been wondering about so, thanks for the info! I used to can all our jams, jellies and, fruits (pears, apples, peaches, apple sauce and, even tomatoes). I've been backing off though because we're trying to prepare for moving into a trailer. We've wondered though about canning small batches for those things we find as we begin to travel.

I started a sourdough started from scratch about 5 or 6 years ago. So, we bake all of our breads. When we buy our trailer it's going to have to have a good oven so we can continue baking. Trish has allergies to the gluten but the sourdough neutralizes the glutens.

Trish & Raquel

--------

Rick is taking the trailer up to Indiana to get fitted for automatic levelers and to get the suspension replaced. He's going by himself because my plate has become so full with a new business. But after he comes back he will be here for a week and then we are all on the road to Yellowstone!!!! So excited. Greatest place on earth! I am really hoping for some good grizzly and wolf photos this time. Fingers crossed!

About driving the tractor:

Sharon, do you ever drive the tractor or just the SUV?

Heidi, it's great that Robert has you driving. I need to do that. It's just the smart thing to do.

Raquel, does Trish drive? She will need to learn, too.

Okay, back to work. hope everyone has a fantastic week!

I love Yellowstone. Many, many years ago my oldest son and I took a trip there and spent a week in the old Yellowstone Lake Lodge (I think it has burned down since?). It's an experience I will never forget and look forward to going back with Trish.

Yes, Trish drives too. She doesn't drive as often as I think she should but, we'll get there. She has problems seeing at night and, probably worse, she lacks confidence. Until 6 years ago, the biggest thing she's driven was a Subaru Wagon. She had someone run into her in the Subaru and I don't think she's fully psychologically recovered from that experience. Since then we've gotten the GMC, and now the Volvo. She does well in the GMC but hasn't gained full confidence driving the Volvo yet. We figure that she has to learn EVERYTHING because, after all, she's a full partner in this relationship. :)

Trish & Raquel

--------

Alicia - I don't get to drive the tractor BECAUSE of the suv/boat - but then that's the price we pay for having great fun fishing wherever we are. I can, but haven't driven it except from my driving lessons, and a little around a campground here and there. Richard has about figured out that when we have some really tough maneuvering to do with the rig, that he's MUCH better at giving the directions than I am, and I can creep at a snail's pace backwards or forwards and follow his directions good. I do not GIVE really good directions though. We haven't had a chance to try out this new tactic yet though - next tight place and we'll try it out.

We named him Scruffy because his coat was just nasty looking when we adopted him (campground food does not a nice coat make!). Plus his personal hygiene is NOT the best - he doesn't seem to know how to be a cat very good. If it weren't for the fact that he's absolutely terrified of water, I'd bathe him - but he totally goes ballistic. Sweet, sweet kitty though, and everyone who comes over and sits down will see - because he'll be in your lap in a few seconds (after all, if you come over, you MUST have come to see HIM!!).

You may never go full time Alicia, but if you tried it for a good 3-4 months at a time, bet you'd decide that all the property, land, taxes, etc.... is something you could actually do without. It's a good life! Yellowstone is definitely on my MUST do list - but this summer is already full and not allowing for more trips... You'll have to tell us more about it when you can??

Gottago - time for an RDBE gathering - and we're working on a recipe book too... Later gals...

Richard & Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get me started on Yellowstone! I'll never stop! We've visited every year since 2006, and started going twice a year in 2009. We can't get enough of it. We love photographing the wildlife.

Raquel, I told Rick if anything ever happened to him, I'm just going to hire a driver. No way would I ever get this thing out of the driveway to begin with!! lol

Seriously, though, I can do quite a bit from setting up the trailer on site to supervised hook ups to the hitch. Driving in the city is not something I am comfortable with but I don't mind driving on the highway. And the only reason I do is to give him a break; otherwise I don't want to drive. But I'm that way in the car, too. I'd rather be chauffeured! :D

My son and I took one of the full-day guided tours (or was it half day? It was a long time ago.). I just fell in love with Yellowstone. I wouldn't mind doing like you are doing, going back every year.

We took her (we haven't named "her" yet) out last Saturday. We live about 25 miles up in the mountains outside of Chico, CA, and we took her down to Chico so we could do some shopping for her. Trish wanted to drive (YIPPEE!!), so she went through the whole pre-trip with a lot of help. It was good for her (Trish, not the truck ... we really do have to get "her" named :)) to start gaining that familiarity. There are two-lane twisty roads, streets through a small town, 4-lane road down the mountain and then in-town driving to get to WalMart. Trish did really well. She'll be okay once she REALLY figures out that she can do it.

BTW ... did I ever mention that we almost named "her" "Paper Weight"? :(

Trish & Raquel

--------

Raquel,

Just a guy. B) but like your idea as a name paper weight (sitting there discoloring the paper it sitting on) :o To many paper projects and not enough joy time.

But how about these

Lead Sled. Old hot rod word.

or

Sand Bag. just sitting there. NOT you two, the truck. :P

or

Two Ladies and Bob ( bob, Old slag for paper weight ( Where's that D*M* invoice? bob has it, or go see bob)

Edited by Walt&Connie