Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

5 hours ago, Mikey S. said:

Just found this!  Working on a bigfoot camper married to a Sterling daycab! 

Lots of info here, enjoy and post pictures when you can (check out pinned post on how to do pictures)

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all.

I'm a newby and just signed on.  I have a couple of questions 

1.  I'm wondering if all of you that have a HDT pulling a home of some type have had to convert the HDT to an RV or Motorhome to get away from the cost of the Registration and tags on the tow vehicle.  Is that right?  I read the Michigan Regulation that says "Recreational vehicle" means a new or used vehicle that has its own motive power or is towed by a motor vehicle;   The "towed by a motor vehicle" in most cases is the HDT that we are talking about.  They don't say that the towing vehicle is an RV, so how is it tagged?

2. Can you get a lot better mileage with a HDT with 2.47 rear instead of a 3.?? or 4.?? Is it worth thinking about?

Thanks for the help.

Grampa

Go to the Resource Guide at the top of the forum.  It has most of your answers.  Each state plays by different rules.

Swapping out differential gears to get a little better mileage is usually not worth the bother.  Unless you intend to run a LOT of miles, the mileage gain will never return the costs.  Your tranny ratios may well offset the final drive numbers.  I couldn't tell you our ratios, but on this trip, we've seen 8.4 to 6.1 mpg, depending on terrain, speed and most importantly, wind.  We are tandem, pulling a 21,000# toyhauler.

I talked to a neighbor here in the campground this morning who's getting 6.1 pulling a 18,000# trailer with a newer 3/4 ton diesel, with lots of aftermarket money thrown at it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 9/23/2022 at 6:41 PM, rickeieio said:

Go to the Resource Guide at the top of the forum.  It has most of your answers.  Each state plays by different rules.

Swapping out differential gears to get a little better mileage is usually not worth the bother.  Unless you intend to run a LOT of miles, the mileage gain will never return the costs.  Your tranny ratios may well offset the final drive numbers.  I couldn't tell you our ratios, but on this trip, we've seen 8.4 to 6.1 mpg, depending on terrain, speed and most importantly, wind.  We are tandem, pulling a 21,000# toyhauler.

I talked to a neighbor here in the campground this morning who's getting 6.1 pulling a 18,000# trailer with a newer 3/4 ton diesel, with lots of aftermarket money thrown at it.

I sincerely hope it's not a Ferd.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all!

My first post on this forum…….

DW and I have purchased an unusual type of RV, and I’ve been looking for a Forum to monitor for information-gathering purposes, and also for sharing our experiences and posting questions. As I describe the unit below, you will see that it doesn’t really fit into the “Class C Owners” forum. And although it is not an HDT unit, it seems to fit best here. Over at IRV2.com, they have a “Truck Conversion Owner’s” forum, but here on RVNetwork.com, there is nothing with that focus. Is it time for a “Truck Conversion” forum here on RVNetwork.com? Maybe, I don’t know……

Our unit has been called a “Super-Duper C” RV in several posts elsewhere. I will also post a photo so you can see its appearance. There are not a lot of these type of units out there, but it makes sense for us as Full-timers, and meets all our needs.

Here’s a description and photo of our unit:

2008 NRC 45-Foot ”Super-Duper C” Motorhome on 2007 Freightliner Columbia Chassis

RV Section is 34’ and the BBC measurement is 10’, so roughly a total of 45’ overall

Drivetrain and Chassis Specs:

Engine-- 2006 (Pre-Emissions) Detroit 14L Series 60 Engine, 515HP & 1650 Ft/Lbs Torque

Transmisison-- ZF Meritor Freedomline 12-speed Dual-Mode Automated Manual

Rear Axles-- 40,000 Lb rated Tandem Detroit DA-RT w Airliner Air-Ride

Rear Axle Ratio-- 3.42 (yielding 1400 RPM @ 64MPH)

Wheelbase: 340”

GVWR-- 54,000 Lbs.

WABCO 4S-4M ABS Brake System

Twin 100-gallon fuel tanks

Hitch Rating-- 40,000 Lbs

MPG so far-- around 10.0 (we also run the 12KW generator off the fuel tanks, so it is approximate...)

Total Miles on Unit (so far) per Odometer--  109,800

RV Section Specs:

102" OW w Complete Body Skeleton of 1.5” x 1.0” welded steel tubing

One road-side "Super Slide" w recliners and Dinette

Queen bed in rear BR

Heated Ceramic Tile floor

30-Gallon LPG, mounted inboard

Other options

As you can see, it is basically a long-wheelbase Class-8 chassis with an unusual box on top. This type of unit is typically owned by racing teams who usually tow a large trailer with cars or animals, to racing events or shows. We will purchase and tow a 24’ to 28’ enclosed trailer, in which we will haul our local transportation.....

I am a former truck driver (in my younger years), and find this unit a pleasure to drive!

I will monitor this Forum and contribute if the situation arises. I hope you HDT folks don’t mind too much.

Travel Free!

Photo 2A.jpeg

H&M Funk 

2008 NRC 45-Foot ”Super-Duper C” Motorhome on 2007 Freightliner Columbia Chassis

2006 Pre-Emissions Detroit 14L 515HP 1650Ft/Lbs Torque Series 60 Engine w/ 12-speed ZF Meritor Freedomline

Thanks to all for your kind sentiments and for tolerating a "non-HDT" owner on this forum until a more suitable Forum is created.

DW and I were actually thinking about an "HDT + Fiver" combo, but she decided that the on-the-road access to her full kitchen facilities (provided by our coach) was a necessity........

Travel Free!

H&M Funk 

2006 Pre-Emissions Detroit 14L 515HP 1650Ft/Lbs Torque Series 60 Engine w/ 12-speed ZF Meritor Freedomline

• 2 months later...

image.jpeg.20dc2ffe2efd1adb20758af8e4b36734.jpeg

Just completed as to finalized the MO State Inspect to get the License for this.  Passed flying colors.  Have a Decal Shop designing and getting ready to print the information labeling the 48BL License will require.  Truck is to be our 5ver toter, sub duties around the farm as a true truck but for the most part our method of moving a toy hauler with our Harley so can enjoy the ride out to remote places we want to see and meet others doing the HDT RV path.   

I am retired, a 21 year HDT and Eq tech that changed career path in '96 to Power Station worker, that after 20 years was my retirement job as a Nuclear Power Station Plant Operator.  Wife and I enjoy tour bike riding, seeing places never been and seeing sights few ever get to.  Her retirement is but a few short years away.

2005 Kenworth W900L, 42" flattop bunk.  Repairs and upgrades two years in the making.

C15 Cat 500hp out of frame overhauled at 440900miles speedo 675000ecm.

18spd Fuller Eaton

46000lb eight bag air ride tandem.

5ver ToyHauler being looked for and reviewing options we can purchase used.

Edited by ddm502001

Fine looking truck indeed.  My only issue with a narrow cab is that I'm within reach of the navigator should I say something wrong.  Not that I would ever do that....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Fine looking truck indeed.  My only issue with a narrow cab is that I'm within reach of the navigator should I say something wrong.  Not that I would ever do that....

Pretty funny that!!

I suspect my copilot will be in back of me more than not.  They are designed as One Man cabs for real business.

Dave

• 3 months later...

I’ve always had a dream to pull a toy hauler with an HDT even after driving commercial trucks for 30 yrs and I finally found the perfect truck. A 2015 Peterbilt with an automatic transmission and gears to go. I put insurance on it the same as my pick up and that was great for Canada but I was informed by my insurance company that my insurance will not cover me in the USA where I planned to go every winter. I called around to multiple insurance companies and none of them would insure a truck over 4500 kg or they wanted to insure it as a commercial vehicle. Insurance under commercial is way more expensive and a lot more hassle so I have exhausted all avenues and have the truck up for sale… dream is over.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:32 AM, Ermattucks said:

Hello everyone we are new to HDT Rv haulers.  We just purchased are first truck and trailer and are anxiously awaiting our first trip.  The problems have started though and we just need to figure things out first.  Biggest issue is insurance on the rig we can’t find a company who will insure us as non commercial.  We are are in Ontario Canada and if anyone can give us suggestions please do.

Thanks 

Rick

Hi Rick I live in Alberta and am having problems getting insurance as well. It was no problem for Canada through Wawanesa but they will not cover me for the USA. Did you find a company that will cover you for the US?

Thanks Mel

• 5 weeks later...

I am hoping this is still active. Full timer pulling a Mobile Suites 40KSSB4 with a 2016 Silverado. Truck is doing ok, only 67K miles on her with very good maintenance. Looking at an HDT class 8 to tow and possibly put a small car or motorcycle on back of truck. Currently living in FL and looking possibly at SD or TX for whatever state is easier to register truck as private non commercial. Any help would be great. Thank you. 

We are registered in South Dakota and as long as you have 5 out of the 7 things in the sleeper that is required you can convert the title to rv or motorhome. We filled out the registration paper and the convert title paper and mailed it in with the title and a picture of the truck. Found everything on the South Dakota department of revenue site. We are domiciled in South Dakota but the truck has never been there,did it all through mail and phone. 

Texas will allow you to register as an RV with the installation of four RV-related items, or as a private truck at your election.  Since the registration is weight-based, there's little to no difference in the cost.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 1 month later...

My DW and I have a Chevy 3500 (dually) with a 37’ fifth wheel. However, we hope to upgrade to a 42’ fifth-wheel and an HDT to haul it (together with a Smart Car) and become full-timers in the next few years. We are just starting the research and I’m wondering how ‘long’ a singled, Volvo 780 with Smart Car pad is?

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2023 at 2:13 PM, Aim-High said:

My DW and I have a Chevy 3500 (dually) with a 37’ fifth wheel. However, we hope to upgrade to a 42’ fifth-wheel and an HDT to haul it (together with a Smart Car) and become full-timers in the next few years. We are just starting the research and I’m wondering how ‘long’ a singled, Volvo 780 with Smart Car pad is?

You need about 12 feet of frame from the back of the cab for the Smart and the turn radius for the fifth.

2 hours ago, dbee said:

Hello - Looking at using Class 8 for pulling toy hauler. 

All the info you could ever want is here, but will require a bit of digging on your part.  Look in the Resource Guide for answers first, then ask away.  The guide is a bit cumbersome until you get used to it, then it makes sense.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome!!!  Nearly all of us use ramps for loading a smart, three wheelers no so much.  Wife's three wheeler (Can-Am Spyder) goes in the garage.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 6 months later...