Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Looking at hdt site awhile. Ran my own interstate authority with a T600 KW with 300 cummins and eaton 10 spd single axle 60 inch sleeper. Should have never sold that truck. Towing '09 DRV 36TK3 with a '02 superduty 4dr drw 7.3 with 4spd auto. Sweet rv and cherry truck with Lariat package and with only 56k is like new. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife & I have been retired for 4 years now. I retired from Ace Hardware as a driver, mostly ran out of northern California, covering the stores in Oregon, Nevada & many trips up thru Washington. Mostly drove 3ax Freightliners w/full sleepers pulling 53' trailers. Had my CL A license 40+ years. We own a Travel Supreme 40' DP coach with all the bells & whistles. Just returned from a 5 month, 10K plus trip. Many times as I drove over some of the terrible roads across the US, I thought to myself how much I enjoyed the comfort of 'most' of my work trucks over the past 40 years. Wife has been more than hinting of switching to a 5th wheel, for mainly the comfort of full-timing. My trade off with her getting the choice of our rolling home will be getting my choice of an HDT. She's pretty much settled on her choice, I'm ready for my choice of the HDT. Would prefer from private owner, already set up, (but not opposed to converting myself) Of course, a fair price & low mileage is on top of our list, but there is a lot out there that I see, that I would consider buying. I don't mind traveling if there's a nice HDT out there available to purchase. 

Thanks for the opportunity to ramble,

Craig & Janelle, Middleton, Idaho

Edited by craigjanelle

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, DesertMiner said:

How is the truck registered in California?

Sorry for the very late reply...

We did it in California. But you have to catch the right DMV VIN verifier at the right time to complete REG form 31 to change the Body Type from DS (diesel semi) to motorhome (MH). It can be difficult to impossible in California.

By definition, motorhomes must contain permanently-installed independent life support systems [for human habitation] which meet the criteria of the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) and provide at least four of the following facilities: 1. cooking, 2. refrigeration or ice box, 3. self-contained toilet, 4. heating and/or air conditioning, 5. a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, 6. a separate 120 volt electrical power supply and/or liquid petroleum (LP) gas supply. Human habitation is defined as living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms. Many standard over-the-road HDT sleepers MAY come close with the addition of a porta potty. We have no sink, only bottled water and a porta potty. HOWEVER, in our case, the DMV VIN verifier never even got inside to look; only took our word! It saved us $2,000 per year in registration fees.

Make sure when you fill out REG form 256, Statement of Facts, Section G, to write exactly "This vehicle was permanently altered and equipped for human habitation meeting the definition of a motorhome according to CVC § 362." You'll need Reg 256A filled out, too. And bring your commercial plates and pink slip to DMV when you attempt this.

However, for INSURANCE, (in the spring of 2020) Progressive simply wanted us to disable commercial use by removing the commercial 5th wheel hitch and providing pictures of the truck, long before we got it reclassified Body Type Motorhome (MH) with DMV (in the spring of 2021).

Later (the winter of 2021) we had a box added to carry our Jeep in a "garage" (see pix) and some insurance companies refused to insure it because to them it could be used as a commercial box truck. However, since there is a permanently attached ramp (that does not retract) off the back, it is impossible to back the truck up to a loading dock and drive a forklift into the box to load pallets. Anyway, I skipped those insurance companies since at that time (2021) their premiums were more expensive than Progressive. HOWEVER, be forewarned, many insurance companies only allow for VERY limited situations where they will cover the truck BOBTAIL; like going to the repair shop or getting fuel. They only want to cover the whole combined rig including the towed trailer.

And finally, should you want to DOMCILE in South Dakota, we unhappily discovered insuring RV's in SD can be more expensive than in California!! Apparently, because of frequent hail damage claims in SD, and perhaps because of the shear numbers of RVs registered making claims of any type in SD (my personal guess).
Edited by Marty Main

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely interested in switching from traditional heavy duty pickup to Class 8 tow

I would like to know if & where there are events to visit & speak to people about their experiences & why they chose their particular truck for towing their 5th wheel. 
Thank you, 

ML 

12 minutes ago, MLM said:

Definitely interested in switching from traditional heavy duty pickup to Class 8 tow

I would like to know if & where there are events to visit & speak to people about their experiences & why they chose their particular truck for towing their 5th wheel. 
Thank you, 

ML 

There are East Coast, West Coast and Kansas rallies where you can learn virtually all you'd like to know. East is in April, Kansas is in Oct., and I forget when West is, since I'm nowhere near there. Plus, there are many "in the wild" where you can introduce yourself and ask questions. Jay

3 hours ago, MLM said:

Thank you, 

ML 

I just checked the campground in Idaho where the West Coast Rally is held, and they are full for that week.  I think there are other campgrounds and hotel accomodations might be available if you wanted to try to attend anyway.  All of the HDT rallies have a rep for lots of information.  The National in Kansas is somewhat aimed at new folks, but having said that it really doesn't matter, it's all good information for any level.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

4 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I just checked the campground in Idaho where the West Coast Rally is held, and they are full for that week.  I think there are other campgrounds and hotel accomodations might be available if you wanted to try to attend anyway.  All of the HDT rallies have a rep for lots of information.  The National in Kansas is somewhat aimed at new folks, but having said that it really doesn't matter, it's all good information for any level.

We have our reservation at Boise Riverside RV Park as the rally campground is full. They may still have some sites available.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I hate to ask this...

But when and where is the West Coast Rally in 2022?
I've look on the events calendar at the Escapees website and did a search on the same website for Idaho and West coast and Rally, but I only get past events.
I'll keep looking but if you have a moment, point me in the right direction.
Thanks!!

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

1 hour ago, franco-bolli said:

I hate to ask this...

But when and where is the West Coast Rally in 2022?
I've look on the events calendar at the Escapees website and did a search on the same website for Idaho and West coast and Rally, but I only get past events.
I'll keep looking but if you have a moment, point me in the right direction.
Thanks!!

The West Coast Rally is in June (as posted above).  It is held at Ambassador RV Resort in Caldwell.  Unfortunately the host park is full.  You can still attend the rally if you are willing to stay at another location.  If you want to attend and find another place to stay (either hotel or other RV park), then go to the rally website and complete the rally registration form. If you have specific questions, let me know.  I am the rally coordinator.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks for the information!
It turns out, I live less than 5 miles from the Ambassador.

There are several other camp facilities close by (mostly)

abundant Life RV Park
4924 Laster Ln.
Caldwell, ID 83607
208-714-0667
I've driven through 2 times and they have been quite full, but I think it depends on the time of year... Some spots are quite tight, it would be good to verify parking sites when registering..
------------------------
Leahs Landing Campground
1606 N Irene Dr
Nampa, ID
208-867-7393

Haven't' been in this one, but there are a lot of full timer rigs as seen from Highway 84 East bound

Caldwell Campground and RV Park
21830 Town Cir
Caldwell, ID
208-454-0279

Haven't driven into this one in a while, I think they were expanding last I was in there many years ago.  Many semi permanent folks in there.
--------------------------------------------

This is a very new campground that isn't on any of the aps yet, and I haven't driven through there yet.
Center Point RV Park
1530 N Ann Street,
Nampa, ID
(208) 953-7205

----------------------------------

Cheapest fuel in town, MUCH cheaper than the flying J and Sinclair stations next to the Ambassador.  Big rig friendly and has DEF, racing fuel, kerosene and all gas is non-methanol.
Conrad and Bishoff
9250 Cherry Ln,
Nampa 83687

Its probably about 2 miles off the freeway. These folks are the supplier of fuels to many of the other stations.
-------------------------------

I don't think I'll be attending, I'm not driving an HDT.
Best of luck,

FB

Edited by franco-bolli
removed duplicate information and moved some details around.

event.png                                             

4 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

I don't think I'll be attending, I'm not driving an HDT.
Best of luck,

FB

You do not need to have an HDT to attend. The rallies also serve as away to see what it is like to use an HDT for RVing. You are even welcome to come over to the park we will be at in Boise if you want to see our HDT, smart car and 5th wheel. 

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thanks for the invite!, I'll give it some consideration if we are in town.
If you need tips or hints for shopping or restaurants, let me know. 

after having a look at the ameneties at the Ambassador , I'm not certain that the other locations I mentioned can handle rigs that long.  I can stop by and take pictures to post here if there is need to see what it looks like.

Cheers!

event.png                                             

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Size of the truck has nothing to do with bragging rights, but everything to do with safety and economy.  I've experienced brake issues with smaller trucks, and our "new to us" truck cost us about the same or a little less than a late model dually.

We've owned 4 road tractors, two for farm use and two for playing/camping.  Bought the first one 23 years ago.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Not sure what you mean by, for a living.  We are relative newcomers.  I bought my first and only HDT a few years before retirement.  We are now full time RVers.  I have no previous HDT experience, it just made sense to me.  Of course I got most of my input from the rallies and the good people on this site and Gregg Shields’s site.  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone we are new to HDT Rv haulers.  We just purchased are first truck and trailer and are anxiously awaiting our first trip.  The problems have started though and we just need to figure things out first.  Biggest issue is insurance on the rig we can’t find a company who will insure us as non commercial.  We are are in Ontario Canada and if anyone can give us suggestions please do.

Thanks 

Rick

Also in Ontario, we got ours done through Desjardins. You may have to push the broker a bit. Some don’t know that it can be done. I believe cooperators also covers bus and truck conversions. Also helps to have all your other insurance with them. 

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone in the process of going all in on the full time RV lifestyle.  My wife and I sold the house and rental house April of 2021 then sold everything else and moved onto the boat.  We ordered a Luxe 47FB this past January, it should be done within the next couple of weeks.  We have a VNL730 in process with RVH.  We plan pick it all up the end of September and take our time getting back to Washington in October.  We will move onto the RV and be staying in Poulsbo, WA while I finish my last year of work before hitting the road full time in the RV.  Still debating  on whether or not we keep or sell the boat.  This forum has been a great source of information over the past couple of years while I have been lurking around reading everyone's posts and searching information out.

David 

1 hour ago, Tippy said:

Hey Everyone in the process of going all in on the full time RV lifestyle.  My wife and I sold the house and rental house April of 2021 then sold everything else and moved onto the boat.  We ordered a Luxe 47FB this past January, it should be done within the next couple of weeks.  We have a VNL730 in process with RVH.  We plan pick it all up the end of September and take our time getting back to Washington in October.  We will move onto the RV and be staying in Poulsbo, WA while I finish my last year of work before hitting the road full time in the RV.  Still debating  on whether or not we keep or sell the boat.  This forum has been a great source of information over the past couple of years while I have been lurking around reading everyone's posts and searching information out.

David 

Congratulations and good luck with the process.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 months later...