Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Thanks for the chance to respond. I have been lurking for about 6 months. We will hopefully be fulltiming in a FW (19,000 wet) this fall. Actually I've been mostly on the MDT site as I will need to continue working and thought a smaller rig would be better for commuting to work. Have to admit though that an HDT is enticing. I recently got my CDL from an accredited school and thought the tuition was money well spent. I learned a lot about the air system and about driving something so big and heavy. It is nothing like driving a car or LDT. At first I was a little intimidated, now I'm hooked. And I am a better overall driver to boot. Anyway, thanks everyone for a great site. My goal is to continue learning so that I may be able to intelligently spec out a TV.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vulve'....what fella...no pics?? icon_confused.gif

Whatever it looks like...it can't be that bad...

You never saw mine when I got it either....but I did post pics on my blog.

So....no teasing...besides I think you have a rare truck to boot...a 3406e in a Volvo...not many of those around!

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Well Rick...http://vulve.blogspot.com/

As soon as i have some presentable ones I will follow. Believe it or not i dont have many pictures. Will do in the spring when the weather is nicer and i get it out and looking better. Rite now it has a tool box and fenders out of a junk yard, the top from where it was under the fairing is still grimy, and the finish is dented and scratched. Rust here and there as well.

Working on winter projects on it right now. Took it to CAT for their blessing.......found some problems, but hopefully i can consider it preventative maintenance. Also working on the auxrilary AC, Home theater system, PC with GPS and WIFI, sink, etc. Put a J sofa with seat belts in instead of the bunk, and nice big LCD TV.

Maybe get paint in the spring if i can afford it. We'll see.

I love the picture on your rig in the snow. Makes you want to cry! If mine wasnt in the barn, it would look much like that.

Stay Warm

DRS

=====================

1999 Volvo 610, CAT 3406e, on the road but not pretty...yet! Keystone Raptor 5th wheel. 1-wife (unless she changes her mind.........again), 3-kids (all girls!!!!!), 3-cats (people keep dropping them off!!!), 4-Dogs (1st is mine, I am the 2nd's, the 3rd and 4th just showed up on their own!). OH, as of 3/4/2006 1-HORSE!!!!! I am such a sucker!

"The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys!"

.......nothing remarkable here...No beer cans/whiskey bottles-donut boxes-McDonald's wrappers-No $2000 radio system with wires hanging down all over the place or old dogs sleeping in the oil on the floor-or piles of dog crap......carry on!...and keep us posted now that your "out of the closet", as it were.....looks like you got a lot done so far and you just have a little ways to go.....with all the praise of this list group " Atta-boy"......geofkaye

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us that do"-I Asimov

Hello to all. My name is Clovis and I live near Opelika Ala, am a retired truck driver with 35 years OTR behind me. Have an old

1985 COE freightliner that I use to haul hay for for my horses,

Also own a 2003 1ton dodge diesel pickup. I have been reading this forum and the MDT forum for about 4 year's now. Sure do like all those pretty truck's most of you have. Maybe some day I will know what it feel's like to own one. Keep up the good work.

Pete if you read this I think I finally fiqured out how to post, atleast I am hoping this work's.

Jason here, been lurking for 1.5 years. "When" not "If" is my issue. I'll have one, just not sure when. My wife has taken me to 2 dealers to buy a new PU recently cuz she doesn't want the "Thing" at her house. Well, I'm currently buying 3.5 acres with a shop, barn,etc.... I get her a house built, then I can work on acquiring the "Thing". I'm a 23 year firefighter who currently travels via a 1994 F350 w/299k (my last truck, or so I thought) & a 2003 32' 5vr. I drive class8s commercially PT when offduty. I have posted a few times here on SKP.

Firefighter, now retired, whoopee!!!

RV

Thanks for your request . I've been lurking about 4 months . Very interesting forum. I may be an HDT owner in the near future. I'm dotting the I's and crossing the T's to see if its feasable. I pull a 33' 5er now but upgrading in next year or so . I have located a single axle volvo w/cummins that been sitting for about 2 years. I work construction and drive a tri-axle dump and have owned 2 semi dumps in the past. thanks LEE

Hi,

Been lurking for quite a while and after reading Larry's book, I think I'm going over to the "dark side", too.

Looking like next year for the long awaited retirement. Even my better half is on board.

Rick,Terry,Pogo

Lifetime Skp #94530

A Chinese proverb: If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody.

Ok I too have been "Lurking" on the site for some time. Also have been looking for the right HDT. My wife & I full time (1 3/4 years) in a 2004 40' Teton Reliance (actually 44' 5 1/2"). Plus we have an Overbilt lift on the back (Installed at Teton plant) to carry our 2003 Harley "Ultra Classic". That makes the trailer approximately 49' long. Been pulling with a 2004 Ford F 550, but as you have heard before that is a lot of trailer for the Ford. Would built a garage on HDT for the Harley.

quinntheeskimo

Quinntheeskimo

Gail & Bonnie Quinn (Full-timing since July 18, 2004)

2001 Volvo 610 autoshift (Ultimate V Rod) 465 HP, 1650 Torque, 3:42 gears with air locker, pictures of build can be seen @ http://community.web...theeskimogquinn

2010 New Horizons 45' custom Majestic, pictures of construction can be seen @ http://picasaweb.goo...com/gailquinn48

2003 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI, 100 HP, 118 Torque; Blog of 2007 Alaska trip @ http://quinntheeskim...nn.blogspot.com

2013 Smart Passion fortwo coupe

Hello everyone, I'm just another of the many lurkers! I actually currently own 2 class 8 trucks at the present time, a 1996 Volvo wia with a short sleeper (48 inch I think), and a 1995 Freightliner FLD120 also a short sleeper flattop. The FReightliner has been singled out on the rear and has a mostly finished bed on the back. I hope to have it on the road this summer. I'm currently towing with a Ford 550 (40' trailer) but want a little more braking power.

I havn't posted on this site, but have e-mailed a few of you such as Larry and fppf with questions about truck registrations in NY. Great site loads of info.

Marty

I been a lurkers for some time now. I will be purchasing an HDT, Volvo, KW or Pete. There is tons of excellence information on this site. We tow a 40' Royals International Homestead with a 2000 Dodge 3500. An HDT will be our next step up.

Thanks

I'm prolly a lurker here as I don't post too often. Been around 3 or 4 years. Don't own one yet, so I don't have much to offer.

I'm in a different boat than most here, as I don't RV. I pull a big race trailer and would like the safety of a HDT TV. Can't really afford a toter with a big box, so I'll prolly end up with something similar to what most of you guys use. That's why I hang out here, basically to see what you guys are doing and learn as much as I can.

Hi Dieseldan,

I do not know if I qualify as a lurker but newbie I do. I have approach this project from a somewhat different angle, I like doing my homework upfront and then addressing what fits. Surveying the surroundings I know that I'm going to have to build my machine, hence the KrazyW900 project.

The hardest part of this project is finding the raw material to work with (Truck) lots of high priced junk out there. Registration is a bit of a challenge in MD, but so is everything else here. The shop is step up to accept the new project, funding is in place just missing the "right" rig to start with. I would like to thank the member of this forum as they have been very helpful in begining my education on this new project.

If any one sees a W900L Areo cab with daylite doors and a long WB (260+) drop me a line.

The search is on! icon_biggrin.gif

Unlike most of the others, I done it all backwards. About 6 months ago I bought a 2003 T800 with 40,000 miles on it, 235 w/b, Cat 550 runnin at 375 with a Allison 6 speed, jake, tilt, cruise, dual high back A/R seats, dual 150gal tanks, vortox, dual stacks, Cat id, 72"sleeper, fridge, micro, tv and I really like this rig. 2 weeks ago I found the class 8 sight, took me this long to get to on it, not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to computers. I thought I was all alone out here. sure is a lot of good info on that forum, now I need a air hitch.

Hello everyone, my name is Bryan and I am a Lurkaholic and my last visit was 7 days ago. I thought I had beat this addiction, but I fell off the wagon and found myself back here again.

I have been visiting for almost 3 years and thanks to all of you regulars, I gained enough information, about HDT vehicles and their merits, to make the plunge, last summer. What finally pushed me over the edge, to make the plunge to a 2002 International 9200i were too many scary moments, towing my 18k lbs. race trailer through the mountains of the west and down the grapevine into LA with wholly overwhelmed brakes for what my 03 F350 PSD, LB, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.0 with Edge Computer, Air Bags, Hide a ball, that a probable accident would ruin everything. So it was easy to make the change and I have never looked back.

bryan

Welcome Ken, and Bryan, whelen and everyone else that's joined in.

Ken, when I saw Willow AK I thought I'd say Howdy, I love your area and it has a special place in my heart. My Dad spent 1930-1941 based out of Talkeetna building roadhouses, mining and trapping over on Peters Creek, as there was no work for him in the NW. He took me back in the mid-70's, we hunted a little and hiked into some of the old miners' shacks he'd built. I really enjoyed hearing of his exploits in your area growing up as a kid.

Anyway, not to wax sentimental, but you live in a wonderful place. Welcome again,

Cal

2005 Volvo VNL 42 630

Hi, I just joined this site. I've been lurking for a while, lots of good info. I currently tow a 40' WW toyhauler with a 2500HD Silverado. I plan to upgrade the TV to a Volvo (still trying to figure out which model is which) in a couple of years, then build a custom 45' trailer with all of the neat features I would have liked to have gotten from a custom builder.

Hello

My wife and I have owned our Volvo for two years. I have been lurking for 3 years the information that I have absorbed has gotten us from what we wanted, to how to get insurance and how to register our rig. Without this website it would have been much more difficult.

Thanks

Bill & Mary

1992 Volvo

1978 Holiday Rambler

Eagle 1

Bill & Mary

Eagle 1

1992 Volvo

1978 Holiday Rambler

www.ourcolorfullife.blogspot.com

Howdy, all of you lurkers - and a big WELCOME!

When I started this string several weeks ago I had no idea whether there were just a few or a lot of unknown and unrecognized silent observers eavesdropping on our HDT discussions.

As it turned out, I'm pleasantly surprised that there are so many of you who are not only following our discussions, but are either in the planning phase, or actually driving HDTs. Your numbers have boggled my mind. I thought we might get up to possibly four pages of posts, and we've exceeded that! I have not taken the time to count the actual number of lurkers. I suspect this list will continue to grow over time.

I'm delighted that so many of you have found our discussions helpful in either planning for your next toter or in purchasing and improving one based on the information posted here.

So many of you have addressed me by name in your posts here. I think rather than to dilute the discussion from lurkers identifying themselves here, I will review those posts and address them individually outside the forum as warranted. I've just been sitting back watching your posts mount - to my amazement.

Again - My most sincere thanks to all lurkers for making this discussion thread the huge success that it has become. For those lurkers who have not yet signed on, Please do so in order that we can all get a feel for the full extent of our reach beyond the actively posting members of this forum.

And for all lurkers - please don't be to bashful to ask any burning questions or to volunteer some bit of information that could benefit our membership. Please come back often,and enjoy what is here. I hope you will all eventually become actively posting members of this forum.

Dan

Dieseldan

1999 40' Travel Supreme RLTSODB Two Bedroom 5th Wheel. TrailAir hitch

1998 Volvo VNL770, 460HP Cummins N14 Plus, 13 speed manual, 245" wheelbase, tandems, Holland hitch, Work Station, TV/DVD, Microwave, Fridge, 3,000 W Inverter, Sink, PTO hydraulic kit - Retired USAF Lt Col

"If it wasn't for people like that, people like us wouldn't look so good."