Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/18/2021 at 7:56 AM, Star Dreamer said:

Welcome. Truck lengths vary based on how they were spec but you can make a very short singled Volvo with sleeper as well as other brands. Jack Mayer had one for his first truck and I think he said it was about the same length as his F450 was. Check his website out. Just be aware that you will be limited what you can put on the back of a singled short truck and keep your length under 65'. Alot also depends on what length trailer you go with. We have a 47' trailer, have a Freightliner Century singled short but with a long bed to carry a smart car and we are at 72' long. I have a 20' garage in our Toyhauler, do you could easily shorten the whole set up to get under your 65' limit. Just be sure to plan out your mission profile to include future wants so you can one truck to do what you want. Plan a visit to a rally to be overwhelmed!

Thank you!  I like your van.  I have a thing for vans too.  I'm thinking I want to do a toyhauler with a small car inside behind a short singled truck to stay within 65'.  I did see a nice Volvo race hauler for sale last week that is 33' long and I think that would work for us too and then just pull a trailer for car or toys.  I definitely want to visit a rally.  I really want to get the ball rolling on a setup by next year.

Hello new member here, but not new to semi-trucks. I bought my first semi in 1976, a 1973 Chevrolet Titan 90 single axle, 8v71 Detroit Diesel 10 speed trans, no A/C or power steering. My wife and I spent 36 years together as owner operators. During that time we owned 6 new trucks, the last 2 were 'big houses' with ARI custom sleepers, it was like full time RVing, but getting paid to travel around the country. Due to health reasons we retired from trucking last year. I started a 'new' 'project' late last year, and it has snow balled almost out of control. I have a big skid steer with a forestry deck that I used to keep some property cleared up. I had a guy cutting down some trees around my house when he notice the skid steer he told me 'if you get a bucket and a trailer for that machine I can get you enough work to make some extra money' sooooooo I ended up buying a bucket and a 32' goose neck trailer. THEN came the snowball effect. I started doing some figuring at all that weight and it was going to be more than my 2500 HD GMC pickup could handle. Sooooo I started looking for a truck for my 'project'. The short story is I bought a 2012 Freightliner day cab single axle. Then the real fun started, I needed to set up that truck to haul the trailer, brake controller and wiring. That research lead me to buy a Direclink trailer brake controller and a Jackalopee. I have just started that install (and still trying to figure it out). I am also thinking that the Freightliner would make a better tow vehicle than my GMC. My long term plans have been to tow a trailer behind the 5th wheel,( it's only 27 foot long) because we found out a couple of winters ago when wintering in Arizona we needed a trailer to tow our RZR to some ride areas, and we had to borrow one. Soooooo towing the RV is going to mean that the 5th wheel commercial hitch needs to be replaced. Is this not fun? I am so glad for the internet and groups like this for good information. IF anybody has any questions or comments feel free to ask. I am going to try to figure out how to get some pictures on my profile, everybody loves to see pictures. 

Did you buy aN HDT that was converted to an RV and a Toyhauler traille?. If so the licensing de;pends upon your state of domicile. In Texas all you need to drive the truck is a Class C license and not a Commercial license.

ShortyO

yes the set up I bought was a 2008 freightliner converted to pull the 2016 heartland cyclone. The freightliner is automatic and no air brake and single rear axle. I have been told that since it has no air brake I don’t need to get a cdl a. My weights are truck is 16,000 lbs and the cyclone max is 22,000. 

5 hours ago, Jamylynn said:

yes the set up I bought was a 2008 freightliner converted to pull the 2016 heartland cyclone. The freightliner is automatic and no air brake and single rear axle. I have been told that since it has no air brake I don’t need to get a cdl a. My weights are truck is 16,000 lbs and the cyclone max is 22,000. 

That looks like a Freightliner Columbia, very similar to our Century. I don't think I have ever seen one without air brakes, do you have the yellow and red knobs on the dash? 

As mentioned, licensing varies by state or province, knowing where are you located at may help us help you.KCn55fRl.jpg 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

19 hours ago, geodog1 said:

In Texas all you need to drive the truck is a Class C license and not a Commercial license.

Not true, Shorty.  You're correct that it doesn't require a CDL in Texas, but if the GVWR of the vehicle exceeds 26,000# it does require an Exempt Class B, and if towing a trailer in excess of 10,000#, it requires an Exempt Class A.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Sbowers1 said:

Looking for someone to convert a Kenworth T700 to HDT for RV towing.  

Welcome to the forum!  As the owner of the T700's predecessor, the T2000, I think that you'll really enjoy your new-to-you truck.

If you can give us some idea of where you and the truck are located and how extensive the conversion you have in mind, we'll try to find someone that can give you some ideas as to where you can find help with the conversion.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 2 months later...

I am in the process of converting to full time. I am also in time process of obtaining an HDT. My question is, can someone tell me what the licensing requirements are for a HDT in Florida? I was originally planning on SD as my domicile, but Healthcare insurance made my choice Florida. SD was going to be easy. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Beez said:

I am in the process of converting to full time. I am also in time process of obtaining an HDT. My question is, can someone tell me what the licensing requirements are for a HDT in Florida? I was originally planning on SD as my domicile, but Healthcare insurance made my choice Florida. SD was going to be easy. 

Thanks in advance. 

This isn't going to be much help, but the reality is that FL is not friendly to the HDT way of doing things. You can't just convert the HDT to an RV registration. They don't really allow a fifth wheel (load bearing) setup. I'm currently just staying fully commercial, but haven't figured out what to do when I retire. Jay

It's great to have some new blood.  Welcome, all.  And I'll throw out the usual suggestion of "look in the Resource Guide>"  There's a ton of knowledge compiled there, and the answers to most questions.  That said, it can be a bit difficult to navigate, so if you can't find something, ask away!!!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 1 month later...

My name is Pete. My family of 5 is selling or giving it all away to go full time in the spring of 2022. We have never been RV people, our camping has always been with cars/tents/4wheelers/boats, or snowmobiles. This will be a drastic change for us, I will still be commuting for work, however, my job is very flexible where I travel in from. 

We are shopping for an HDT as I know the safety factor they provide when hauling a large, long, heavy trailer. As a 17 year veteran of the fire service, I would love to find a retiring fire truck to convert as many have incredibly low miles and are built to take a beating.  

Welcome to the group Pete! There is a wealth of knowledge on the forum so sit back, read a bit and start asking questions!

As far as your fire truck goes, there are several families on here that have done that. Most of them stripped out all of the equipment on the original truck and then finished them in different ways. One thing to remember, they might have low miles but have a TON of engine hours due to being idled a LOT. Most of them are geared fairly low and they tend to ride a LOT rougher than an over the road truck because they were spec'd with the weight of the equipment in mind and might have a stiffer suspension than you will need.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime