Keeping in touch-Class of 2006

Jeff & Suzanne

Hi Boys & Girls. . .just a note to say we miss the road lifestyle and all of you; but, have come to terms with our new policy of letting AMTRAK do the driving; while, we look out the window admiring the scenery; without having to watch for amateur drivers; and, other suicidal types!! icon_biggrin.gif Jeff begins using his new insulin pump on Tuesday next. . .it's been a long time comin'. He is wearing a "Frankenstein boot" on his right foot; which, seems to need rehab more than the left. That, in itself, prevents him from being able to drive. After the right foot stabilizes, the left foot gets the same treatment; and, eventually, the podiatrist says he will have to wear orthopedic shoes. So, all in all, getting off the road wasn't any too premature. The "Can" (Airstream) and truck will go up for sale next month when we return from Chicago; and, will be there to show it. More to come on that later. icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hay Steve, give us a shout when you get to MI. We are in Bay City now, but next week we will be in the Grand Rapids area.
Sue has been in the hospital a few days but gets out tomorrow. She should be ready for travel next week.
Next on our list is to see what they can do for my back....yikes!
Maybe we can get together when you get up here in the " mitten".
Vern

Vern & Sue

'02 40' Holiday Rambler Imperial
'05 Ford Ranger XLT-4x4- toad

Vern & Sue - I'll give ya a shout; would love to meet up.

Ham's - That's the great thing about AMTRAK, Jeff can enjoy the view out the window, prop the foot up and hold a tall Evan Williams in his left hand while is right arm is around Suzanne. What a life!

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

2 tabby cats (CiCi & Leo)

Nova Scotia is wet, wet, wet from the tropical storm coming through, but thankfully no wind. The inland farms and coastlines are so beautiful. We are near Sydney waiting out the rainy weather so we can ride the Cabot Trail before moving on.

We thoroughly enjoyed our travels with Dave and Barb from Bangor, Maine to Pictou, Nova Scotia. We found lots of neat places to explore during our stops and naturally had to work in a few geocaches along each route. We made sure not to tell the Border Guards that we knew the folks in the rig behind us since they think all Texans pack heat.

Joe and Nancy

Too many roads, too little time.

SKP #81932

Jeff has received his new insulin pump and it is working beautifully. We're very excited about how easy it is to now keep his blood glucose at a normal level 24/7 which, of course, means fewer diabetic related complications in the future. Our only regret is that he didn't get pumped years ago - we might still be able to be on the road!

On a different note, keep December 8, 2008 in mind - Jeff and I will be renewing our wedding vows in honor of our 40th wedding anniversary in Las Vegas. If any of you would like to make sure you're in the Vegas area at that time, we'd love to have you at the ceremony. We'll be sending out more information as the date comes closer.

For those of you who won't be able to attend, we'll also be giving more info in the future concerning a live webcast of the ceremony.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

Nancy, Are you and Joe planning to come to Newfoundland? We just love it her and will be here until the 9th of August when we come back to North Sydney on the ferry.

Helen

2010 Big Sky 340

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie

Member of the Fulltime Graduating Class of '05

SKP # 87524

The rain in Nova Scotia let up on Wednesday and we decided to do the Cabot Trail drive around the north side of Cape Braten and of course geocache. We left the RV Park we were in and headed up the trail towards the first cache. Sure enough we saw another geocacher parked along the road where we knew the cache would be and when we slowed up - it was none other than Joe & Nancy! Talk about like minds! So we had another great day with them - picked up 16 geocaches around the trail.

We've moved on to Halifax area for the next few days and once again have internet service.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Helen,

We won't make it this time but we really enjoyed Cape Breton. And also accidentally running into Dave and Barb again on the Cabot Trail. We had a great time seeing the views and grabbing more caches.

We have moved down to Truro to tour Halifax and Peggy's Cove area for a few days before working our way to New Hampshire.

Jeff,

Joe and I are so glad to hear you finally got the insulin pump.

Nancy

Joe and Nancy

Too many roads, too little time.

SKP #81932

Hi Dave & Toni. . .we would love it, "Thank you very much"; however, there might be a conflict of interest with The King In Residence. Maybe at the reception after. . . icon_cool.gif ??? icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Joe & Nancy, thanks for the well wishes. . .the pump is working perfectly; and, my diabetes is staying in control for a change! Suzanne & I are glad to hear about your travels; and, we really envy Barb & Dave's geocaching society. . .it sounds like what we would have embraced if mobility hadn't become an issue. Now, let's see. . .if I can just get a 4 wheel ATV. . . icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Jeff,

Glad to hear the great news on the insulin pump. I'll keep that Dec. date in mind but not sure where I'll be; that's sooooo far away!!!

By the way, I've also joined the Geocacheing Society...just got me a Garmin eTrek Legend.

My turkey knee is hurting a litle again but as soon as it's better I'll be heading out a huntin'!

Say, where is that VA facility at there in Chicago anyway? I wonder how their Ortho unit is?? Hmmmm

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

Well, the ortho folks are working on my carpal tunnel syndrome/diabetic neuropathy in my left hand. . .so far, not a lot to report. I'm getting a steroid shot on August 4th to see if that might forestall surgery. The North Chicago VA Medical Center is located at 3001 Green Bay Rd. in North Chicago; which isn't actually in Chicago (800) 393-0865. It is near The Gt. Lakes Naval Training Center; and, has just been ranked in the top three VA Medical facilities nationwide. The closest camping is Illinois Beach State Park (W/E-$20 nite, 2 weeks max) near Zion, IL. We used to max out there; then, move to Chain of Lakes State Park 26 miles west for two weeks; then, back again. If you go to NCVAMC, see if you can get Steve Steepleton, P.A. as your primary care guy. . .he's very good. You gotta start with primary care to refer you to ortho. Hope the knee gets fixed. . .wheelchairs suck!!!!

Thanks for the info.

I leave Elkhart on Monday. I'll continue on North if the knee isn't too bad, otherwise guess I'll head to North Chicago (sigh!).

I'm wearing my brace and taking my anti-inflammatories and not walking very much. We'll see how it goes.

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

Hey Steve. . .we'll miss seeing ya; but, glad your knee agreed to go to Michigan. When you come to Texas, we will be living less than five miles from The Vineyards RV Park! Happy trails! icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Hey Hams,

We expect to stop by the Vineyards for a while on our way back to the RGV from Alaska, so don't be surprised to see us on your doorstep sometime in late October or early November. icon_smile.gif

We look forward to seeing you then!

Gordon and Juanita

Seeing the USA in our Chevrolet
Full timing since 3/11/2006
Blog: http://www.mytripjournal.com/USAChevrolet

WOOHOO!!! How cool is that?!? If everyone, who plans to be there, stays in the area thru November 15th; Suzanne & I could arrange to perform in the opening weekend of the Christmas Murder Mystery, "Cold Hearted Christmas" at The Gaylord Texan's Riverwalk Cafe Gourmet Buffet! Lots of fun and lots of great food. If not, we will meet and greet anyway.

Hey, Barb & Dave. . .are you going to be at Tree Tops in Arlington around mid-Nov.; or, more like December. . .or is it too early to tell yet?

icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Gordon & Juanita -- RGV?? You guys are having so much fun up there in Alaska I though you might "winter over"!

Hams -- You new job is that of party organizer and get-together planner!!

Vern & Sue -- Are you still in Grand Rapids?? I'm at the Holland State Park for three days (Holland today & Grand Rapids romorrow with clean-up/relaxing on the third day). Where you be??

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

Vern & Sue,

Two more days in the Holland/Grand Rapids area and then I was going to head north to Sleeping Bear Dunes along the Lake Michigan coast. Not sure how far inland you are, I'll have to get my map out of the car and look, but off hand it sounds like you're a bit far to the East of my route.

How is it there at the Three Seasons?? What's it near? I really had planned on a month in the UP before heading on West in mid September.

Did you see the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park and the Gerald Ford Museum in Grand Rapids?? Those are my big explorations for tomorrow.

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

Steve,

We are about 60-70 miles inland from the lake. Its just north of Greenville, and a nice CG here at 3 seasons. We are on Fish Lake, good fishing!!

My son's wedding reception was at the Meijer Gardens, and well worth the trip. I can't give any review on the Ford Museum, I've never been there. It just never interested me.

Guess we will see you back in the RGV.

Vern & Sue

'02 40' Holiday Rambler Imperial
'05 Ford Ranger XLT-4x4- toad

Yes we will be at Tree Tops in December - haven't fixed the dates yet until we get back into the states.

We went geocaching in the fog for the last 2 days - pretty area but can't get good pictures in the fog! Heading out tomorrow, probably for New Brunswick.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Well, I never did get to the Ford Museum; spent the whole day that the Meijer Gardens and Sculptuer Park. It was fabulous!

They were having an exhibition of Degas Bronze's and they are creating garden displays based on the paintings of Monet. Loved it.

Vern & Sue I reckon it will be RGV, don't see how a side trip would work in. Catch a fish for me, huh?

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

Archived