Keeping in touch-Class of 2006

Jeff & Suzanne

Fedexman,

I use La Qunita when I have to but, gosh, I hate motel rooms!!

Gang,

Got an acceptable map at the Mission Chamber of Commerce yesterday so at least I now know where Alamo and Hidalgo and other places are!

Good thing I drove t Pepe's yesterday.....I got lost! Finally found it so I'm all set for today. Hmmmm, Pepe's is 40 miles from my rv park in Edinburg (by freeway). I'll try hwy 107 to Conway today....I suspect it will be quicker but maybe not.

Ok, so what is with this Summer Weather?? It was 87 degrees here yesterday!! Had to turn on the A/C when I cooked dinner!!!

Today is great, nice & warm and the wind has (finally) died down...lots of sunshine.

Yesterday I stoped by a fruit stand and bought a large, fresh watermellon for all of $3.00! Man am I liking this!!

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

2 tabby cats (CiCi & Leo)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We arrived here in LA yesterday around 3 PM. I wanted to stop at Paul Johnson State Park just south of Hattiesburg, MS, but after looking at the weather forecast decided it was best to drive on down here to Lower Alabama. Yesterday and today have been great. Temperatures in the low to mid 70’s both days. Tomorrow there may be some rain.

There are no picnic tables here at the Plantation in Summerdale so we went to a Camping World to get a small folding table we needed.

We’ll be here for 5 or 6 weeks. Got to get back to Jackson in late February and early March for some Doctor appointments.

Wendell and Mae Dean

Fun time yesterday at Pepe's..... icon_smile.gif

RGV - Next week - Tuesday Tailgate - Jan 15th on the South Padre Island flats just past the convention center. From Port Isabel, take the Queen Isabella Causeway (Park Rd. 100) across the Laguna Madre and bear left at the light. Go through town several miles on the left will be the South Padre Island Convention and Visitors Bureau, located at 600 Padre Blvd., South Padre Island, TX 78597. Just past this on the left, you will see a dirt road where you will turn in. It is a tailgate so BYOB/drinks, chairs, kites, something to grill, goodies to share and a few of us will bring BBQ pits to cook on and someone bring a radio and whatever else you want to entertain us with icon_biggrin.gif.

How about we meet early so we can cook lunch, visit an hour or so, and get everyone home before dark? Does 11:30 sound OK?

The following week -- 8 AM - Wednesday January 23rd, Birding Tour at Laguna Atascosa - We arranged for two vans...tour starts at 8 AM so those of you over in Mission, you will need to be on the road early as it takes over an hour … so no late night parties the night before! Everyone that signed up at Pepe’s is confirmed. The tour is $10 cash and everyone is welcome, just let me know so I can add you to the list.

"...it isn't about the thing you do, dear, it's about the thing you leave undone which gives you a bit of heartache at the setting of the sun" M.E. Sangster

Diana and John

"the eskie" Buffy

F-350 (is Tugg) & 38.5' Avion (is Ridley)

Update on Dave's surgery - they took the bandages off this afternoon. He has one bloodshot eye, but already says he can see better. We will be here another week for his follow-up visit and then we can start east to Florida.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

That's GREAT news about Dave! I was just thinking about him this morning. Hope the follow up is GOOD.

We got down here at The Plantation Escapee park in Summerdale a couple of days ago. Stop by on your way to Florida if you get a chance.

Wendell

Good for you Dave! I have also had several eye surgeries over the years,including, a detached retina and cataracts. Now I can see as well as I did MANY years ago. Any discomfort now is well worth it, so hang tight, you'll really enjoy the benefits.

Best wishes, Vern

Vern & Sue

'02 40' Holiday Rambler Imperial
'05 Ford Ranger XLT-4x4- toad

Soooooo happy that Dave has this behind him and can already see some results. Keep us informed as he continues to recover.

We hit the road today -headed west!

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

Dave, that is GREAT news! Soo happy for you.

Vern, I didn't get your PM. In fact, the button for Escapees Email seems to have disappeared when I log on to the Escapees web site!

Give me a holler at adagadak@aol.com or just tell me on Tuesday at the tailgate.

Cheers

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

OK guys I need some assistance on the get together next Tuesday. Google maps shows 600 Padre as being to the right, Yahoo maps and Street Atlas shows it to the left, but only about 1/2 mile from where it divides on the islandn not the several miles mentioned. So is the Convention Center after passing the Radisson? How about Dennys, Taco Bell, Super 8 or LaQuinta? Hate driving for miles to find out I passed it somewhere back. icon_mad.gif

Thanks

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

Hey Dave and Dianne,

As you travel north on the main drag of SPI, the speed limit changes to 45 mpg, and then soon after, the road narrows to 2 lane. That is where the Convention center is on the left. You will see a small brown sign saying "bay access" on your right, turn on the dirt road to the left, and you are there.

see ya Tuesday, Sue

Vern & Sue

'02 40' Holiday Rambler Imperial
'05 Ford Ranger XLT-4x4- toad

Dave.....the SPI convention is past all the places you mentioned and on the left, I don't know why the address is off, but I the island is only about 10 miles long.

"...it isn't about the thing you do, dear, it's about the thing you leave undone which gives you a bit of heartache at the setting of the sun" M.E. Sangster

Diana and John

"the eskie" Buffy

We finally made it back on the road. Spent last night in Sweetwater, TX at a daysend - county fairgrounds. Tonight, we're at the SKP park in Pecos. Supposed to be COOOOLLLLDDDD tonight.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

Vern & Sue,

Yup, looks like the Wednesday Storm is coming in early!

Maybe instead of a tailgate we should have another inside drinks/dinner gathering somewhere at that end of the valley...or on SPI??

Thoughts?

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

Alternate plans appear to be needed as the weather I am hearing is RAIN for Tuesday. I do not know any places in Harlingen. But it would be closer for all than SPI. Perhaps Gordon can suggest a place. Also if we are inside do we want to meet at a different time, although 1130 would be fine.

In addition, Gail and Keith will not be joining us. They are in IL with family for the near future. They are hoping to be back by the 23rd, but that will depend on how things go.

Dave

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

Darned weather, with a 30% chance of showers today increasing to 70% chance on Tuesday, the tailgate is called - due to weather, ...on the flip side, we do need a bit of rain, the dust is getting bad and the plants are wilting icon_smile.gif

We have heard great things about Longhorn! Gordon, what is the name of the little place in downtown Harlingen you told us about? We are doing some shopping in town today.

Diana and John

"the eskie" Buffy

Darn weather is right!! Oh well, we have certainly learned to adjust & change plans while on this Life's Adventure called FULLTIMING!

The Longhorn sounds great and 11:30 is as good as any. I'll be there.

Steve

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

Archived