Random engine shutdown (Solved)

Brad & Jacolyn

The last 6 days that we were traveling the Volvo dash would light up with an engine symbol and force an engine shutdown. Then it would start right up again and all was well. No active faults could be found. After a whole lot of diagnostics they were able to recreate the problem. It was a bad Crankcase Pressure sensor.  Replaced the sensor and so far no more shutdowns. We got it fixed at Nacarato truck centers in Hagarstown Maryland.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

This is one of those deals where even though it can be an inconvenience to be shut down on the side of the road, these sensors can save an engine failure.

I'm old enough to remember when engines started running on electronic controllers. Oh boy would the older guys cuss them there new fangled electronic gizzies. 🤬 But now with engines having so many sensors to warn, then take over and stop an engine before catastrophic damage of untold expense,.....I'd say it's a win for the electronic application.

Glad you were able to locate the issue and that it was, though still a spendy repair, a very inexpensive by comparison repair.

I'm a work'n on it.

We've been having the same random shut down at various times, then starts right up & runs fine. After seeing your post & checking a few You Tube videos, this may just have solved my problem. I'll replace, both, the oil pressure sensor & crankcase pressure sensor. They are right next to each other & together under a $100. Thanks so much for posting your experience. You may have saved me quite a few nights sleep. Safe Travels, Craig.

7 hours ago, craigjanelle said:

We've been having the same random shut down at various times, then starts right up & runs fine. After seeing your post & checking a few You Tube videos, this may just have solved my problem. I'll replace, both, the oil pressure sensor & crankcase pressure sensor. They are right next to each other & together under a $100. Thanks so much for posting your experience. You may have saved me quite a few nights sleep. Safe Travels, Craig.

If you have a Volvo engine, would you please post some pics of the locations of these sensors and also part numbers and where purchased?  Would be helpful in future since my old Volvo is starting to become infected with gremlins. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

22 hours ago, craigjanelle said:

Glad I was able to help Craig. Since I have no idea where the sensors are OR what they even look like there was no way I was going to start throwing parts at it. The shop told me that they were able to repeat the failure and the new sensor made that go away.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.