No answers to the last question posted in my "It's Official" topic

lappir

So here it is. 

How far back can the frame rails extend past the hitch?

My King Pin is 12 inches from the very front of my trailer, which makes it over 80 inches from the landing gear at the front of the basement area. There is a lot of open space between the back of the truck and the start of the trailer. The hitch has been placed as close as possible to the drom box and they say is 56 to 58 inches from pin center hole to the box. That's with the slider hitch at it's full forward position (where it's apparently stuck).  Here's the White truck photo

mybDV20l.jpg

The white drawing is the proposed cut off by the folks doing the work.  Looking at it I could mount the box under that area, I guess. Wish I could see the end of the frame. 

I'm loosing the spot for my side box to an additional axle. I'm happy about the axle, but will miss that box. Would like to mount it to the rear maybe in the middle facing rearward. The door opens down. It's still currently attached to the frame rails of the Gold Truck. 

JMLlfmKl.jpg

The box is on the other side behind the fuel tank but before the rear axle. Now that space is full. Sure wish I could find my side view more straight on. Found it!!

5i4aD7tl.jpg

So the last time the Gold truck was done they cut the frame off maybe 4 inches past the hitch frame leaving lots of room. In addition to the Generator I had a pressure washer and a ladder leaning up against the landing gear jacks. 

3Pqql7el.jpg

Too bad I didn't position myself lower and more to the rear of the truck frame. 

Any comments, suggestions and such welcomed and will be repaid somehow in the future. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If they cut it on the chalk line, it'll be cheaper than further forward, as the crossmember can stay in the factory position.  If it'll clear the bottom of the trailer, leave it there. If it won't fit, sharpen your tape measure, and figure out where it'll have to move to. If it were ours, I'd tend to leave a little less frame hanging out, but I'd have to run the economics first.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

If they cut it on the chalk line, it'll be cheaper than further forward, as the crossmember can stay in the factory position.  If it'll clear the bottom of the trailer, leave it there. If it won't fit, sharpen your tape measure, and figure out where it'll have to move to. If it were ours, I'd tend to leave a little less frame hanging out, but I'd have to run the economics first.

Thanks Darryl, 

Here is another photo of the truck and trailer where I have backed all the way under the front and the hitch plate is behind the king pin. 

qpxmIawl.jpg

The back of the frame was still 2 inches from the landing gear. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Not sure what you are concerned about with the frame extension?    Swing on the tail?    With the drom a semi trailer with a deeper pin would need the hitch to slide all the  way back to clear if that?    You would also have issues with axle weight if the hitch was back there.    I would forget the bevel on the end of the frame and cut it straight right at the crossmember.     You don't have enough frame past the fifth wheel to worry about a frame bevel.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

7 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Not sure what you are concerned about with the frame extension?    Swing on the tail?    With the drom a semi trailer with a deeper pin would need the hitch to slide all the  way back to clear if that?    You would also have issues with axle weight if the hitch was back there.    I would forget the bevel on the end of the frame and cut it straight right at the crossmember.     You don't have enough frame past the fifth wheel to worry about a frame bevel.

The concern is will the extended frame behind the hitch contact any point on the trailer going over a hump in the road. I'm not concerned about the swing. There is plenty of room for that. Would like to be a one and done with this truck. (at least with frame modifications)

Thanks for the comments and questions so far. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Ah,

How far is the end of the frame from the pin?      My truck has a deck that is several inches higher than the frame 3.75" give or take.    With my Kentucky trailer I was concerned about that myself.    I have a 36" king pin and about that much distance behind the pivot on the fifth wheel.     I used 6 degrees as a min dip angle I have room not much to spair but room.    You situation should be much better with the frame as the distance is 3+ inches greater.

Steve 

20200319-133216.jpg

Edited by Steve from SoCal

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.