Fading plastic trim

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

Some of the black plastic trim below the sides of the head lights on the Volvo have faded to almost white and I was wondering if these parts could be painted with black paint for plastic parts. Would it even stick to these parts? Would I have to do anything special to prep them and should I use clear coat over any paint. Is there a special paint I should use? Thank you for your suggestions.

Brad   

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Propane torch, used lightly. It'll sweat the oils back to the surface of the plastic. A heat gun can also be used, but it actually takes more care, as the plastic tends to warm up more.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I used the heat gun trick on motorcycle body panels.  It looked great for a month or two, until the plastic dried out again.  Just say'n.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I used the heat gun trick on motorcycle body panels.  It looked great for a month or two, until the plastic dried out again.  Just say'n.......

All it costs is a bit of time. Just sayin. Jeep parts must have more oil in them, I do our fender flares about every 2 years, to get rid of the blotchiness.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

I tried the heat gun yesterday and it had no effect at all. The panels were to hot to touch and I was afraid to heat them any more. Guess I'm back to the plastic paint question. Would it stick to these panels?

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I've used a product named "Back to Black" and it works for a few months, but then fades. I have often thought about a paint, but never tried one. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, lappir said:

I've used a product named "Back to Black" and it works for a few months, but then fades. I have often thought about a paint, but never tried one. 

Rod

I used the "Back to Black" by Mothers purchased at an O'Reilly's auto parts store for my 10 year old jeep fenders.
The fenders are not the painted type, they're some kind of plastic, maybe polyethylene?
The fenders were noticeably gray, not white as in your description.
The product works and takes some elbow grease.  The application rag turns grayish - indicating that something is coming off the fender.  I suspect that the product might actually be dissolving a bit of the surface material in order to restore the black. 
Maguire's also offers a similar product (but on sale and out of stock when I purchased).
Mother's also offers a stronger Back to Black version according to the product literature.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Brad, yes you can paint them. They make a plastic paint...I think it allows more flex than regular. When the shop where I live painted mine I thought it was something they added to the paint. 

Edit...and here is a rattle can made for plastic
Rust-Oleum Black Automotive 248649 12-Ounce Paint for Plastic Spray, Gloss, 11 Ounce (Pack of 1), 12 Ounce - - Amazon.com

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

You can use a urethane automotive paint but to make sure it stays on, use an adhesion promoter first. After that, try a base coat of black followed by a catalyzed, semi gloss top coat.

The top coat can be bought in a can and has a "button" on the bottom that is pushed in to release the hardener into the paint.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-CP199-Adhesion-Promoter-Primer/dp/B0007UAXJQ

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospraytm-high-gloss-matte-clear.html

If you take your time and follow the instructions, you shouldn't have any more problems from your plastic trim.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid
replaced gloss paint with matt

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

2 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

You can use a urethane automotive paint but to make sure it stays on, use an adhesion promoter first. After that, try a base coat of black followed by a catalyzed, semi gloss top coat.

The top coat can be bought in a can and has a "button" on the bottom that is pushed in to release the hardener into the paint.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-CP199-Adhesion-Promoter-Primer/dp/B0007UAXJQ

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospraytm-high-gloss-matte-clear.html

If you take your time and follow the instructions, you shouldn't have any more problems from your plastic trim.

The Eastwood paint is supposed to be top of the line. Next would be SEM, according to my friend that owns a body shop. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sem is really good stuff and they carry the promoter.  Make sure to remove all oils and waxes.  When spraying color do light coats.  Lightly scotch bright plastic prior to paint then clean. 

Sem 38343 Vinyl Prep, my can is half full.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here