Initial Pre-Purchase Inspection

Sky King76

Greetings All,

The wife and I have picked out a 2018 Forest River Class C that just shy of 26’. It’s currently owned by a friend of a friend who lives a couple miles away. The unit looks well cared for but as an ole test pilot I want an inspection, which is fine with the owner. He’s even going to let us rent it for a few days to make sure we like RV life. Have you found it best to have an independent NRVIA inspector do it or a big box shop? There is a Camping World about 10 minutes away with the biggest American flag I’ve ever seen. Just think an independent inspector would be best but have zero experience with any RV business. Will the NRVIA inspector be equally competent on the E450 itself or do I need an auto mechanic as well? As a bonus, anyone know a good inspector in south Jersey?

Thanks so much and I hope after gaining some knowledge to help others as time goes by😀

4 hours ago, Sky King76 said:

Have you found it best to have an independent NRVIA inspector do it or a big box shop?

Camping World sells RVs so there is no incentive to help you buy from someone else, but they might be able to sell you something if the one you are paying them to inspect should fail! A mobile RV tech could check out the RV part but not the chassis. A trained RV inspector should evaluate both and has no reason to be less than honest. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Funny Kirk…

Yep…I’m calling two local NRVIA inspectors today. I actually saw a series of videos from RV Masters late yesterday where in one, the guy says the big box stores may not even work on an RV because it wasn’t purchased there! I know when you take a car to the dealership they’ll service it…for a price. What happens on the road if you have to get service and you didn’t buy it there? Sits for weeks? Months?

At this point I think we have decided to “rent“ the RV for a couple of days…maybe this week and see what we think. That way I can go over the RV top to bottom while we’re at the campground and make a list of questions for the inspector.I found all the manuals online even though from those videos I now know the wiring and components can be completely different.

2 hours ago, Sky King76 said:

Funny Kirk…

Yep…I’m calling two local NRVIA inspectors today. I actually saw a series of videos from RV Masters late yesterday where in one, the g'uy says the big box stores may not even work on an RV because it wasn’t purchased there! I know when you take a car to the dealership they’ll service it…for a price. What happens on the road if you have to get service and you didn’t buy it there? Sits for weeks? Months?

At this point I think we have decided to “rent“ the RV for a couple of days…maybe this week and see what we think. That way I can go over the RV top to bottom while we’re at the campground and make a list of questions for the inspector.I found all the manuals online even though from those videos I now know the wiring and components can be completely different.

Edited by Kirk W
Removed reply from the quote.

Good idea get a look at plumbing and drain lines. Have your wife turn on facets and fill a sink and let to drain and check for a leak or drip that wouldn’t be seen by one person looking at it. Definitely get on the roof and check all caulking. Good luck

2 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Sorry sky king didn’t mean to make it look like I edited your quote. My finger hit something and the last reply didn’t go where it should. 

No prob… Yeah we’ll do that leak check and I did look at the roof. There were specks of mold here and there but the caulk didn’t look cracked and didn’t see any stains in the bedroom in the corners. I assume the inspector will look it over well.

One inspector got back to us and I thought $799 was a little steep, plus $100 for each fluid analysis. However, it was the nicest email. The guy said he can work it in pretty quick and since I’m allowed to “rent” it for a few days, if we go local, he’d meet us and make sure we know everything to do at a RV park or wherever, even before the inspection. Plus he does the inspection at the seller’s house.

39 minutes ago, Sky King76 said:

No prob… Yeah we’ll do that leak check and I did look at the roof. There were specks of mold here and there but the caulk didn’t look cracked and didn’t see any stains in the bedroom in the corners. I assume the inspector will look it over well.

One inspector got back to us and I thought $799 was a little steep, plus $100 for each fluid analysis. However, it was the nicest email. The guy said he can work it in pretty quick and since I’m allowed to “rent” it for a few days, if we go local, he’d meet us and make sure we know everything to do at a RV park or wherever, even before the inspection. Plus he does the inspection at the seller’s house.

$799 is not bad for all a good inspector does and your guy sounds like a good one.

Our experience is that buying though friends, if they are friends and not just acquaintances, is a good thing because they have an investment in your satisfaction.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks Linda… I have now gone back-and-forth with the inspector a few times and if we pull the trigger, which I believe we will, I am definitely hiring this guy. The other inspector who I emailed at the same time yesterday, hasn’t even given me an initial response so…

4 hours ago, Sky King76 said:

Thanks Linda… I have now gone back-and-forth with the inspector a few times and if we pull the trigger, which I believe we will, I am definitely hiring this guy. The other inspector who I emailed at the same time yesterday, hasn’t even given me an initial response so…

Sounds like you found a winner. When/if it all works out let us know. A professional and competent inspector is worth traveling to use.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly it didn’t work out and we’ve decided it’s better for us to go with a B Class anyway. The big thing was the roof is in “poor” condition and there is evidence of water damage inside the RV. There were several other things including all the tires had to be replaced, a potential issue with the slider, he retracted the leveling system then when he went to put it down he had to remove the panel, unplug and plug it back in to get it to work. The hydraulic box was covered in fluid. There were other issues as well.

The weird thing is I sent the seller an email late yesterday morning saying thanks but we’re gonna pass and either I’ll pick him up to get it or I’ll drive it down to him and the wife will pick me up. No response…

Since it’s just the wife and I, not wanting to tow a car, why not go for an all in one with solar and the rest…other than the outrageous price of B Class. Hopefully we can find one for less than 100K.

The owner picked up the Forester and wasn’t mad…actually felt bad we spent $800 for the inspection. He even said the leveler collapsed on him once and he had to “open the panel” and do a reset. He also knew the roof needed “some work”. Lastly, the seller said HE should have done a pre-buy inspection before he bought it.

On to look for a B Class at the right price but I know it’ll be a long journey.

Good for you! Your inspection saved thousands! Good luck on your search. I hear ya. I went for my annual look-see at new and used RVs here and the New Class C Rvs were $120k/130k and up! A little teardrop was $30k, and I did not even look at Class A or Fivers because we are likely not getting another Diesel truck. You did not repeat his mistake.👍

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire