Traveling to Canada with a Handgun

klindww

My wife and I will be starting our east coast roadtrip within the next month or so. We always travel with a couple of different handguns in our motorhome. We would like to cross the border into Canada but am not sure that taking our firearms across the border might be worth the hassle. Has anyone taken handguns into Canada lately? Would love to hear any suggestions or experiances. 

Yeah, don't do it. When we crossed in Alberta the border agent knew I had a CCP and questioned me about weapons. I suggest finding a gun store near where you are crossing and get them to store the handgun, at a price I'm sure. Until you return. That locks you into entering and returning in the same area.

I watched a videopod this morning by a couple traveling to Newfoundland. They think that some neer do wells tried to hijack them in Quebec, the stores had bars on the windows and it felt more like San Francisco than what the expected..

Gas was $8-10/gal too everywhere they stopped up there. That felt like Cali too.

Edited by agesilaus

Many gun shops will ship/store a gun for you.  Find one where you intend to enter Canada, and ship to where you'll return to USA.  It'll cost a few bucks, but prevents a lot of unpleasantries.

When we entered CA on the way to Alaska, I was grilled in depth about owning guns, where they were stored, if under lock and key, if we felt safe without our guns, etc.  I finally told the offending agent that my guns are all back home, safe and sound, and if she wanted to search the camper, have at it.  Otherwise, let me proceed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Pretty sure handguns are a no-no now up there.  I've been back and forth several times on hunting trips and always crossed at the same place - one of those relatively remote stations where the agent was more than likely going hunting after work - and we never had a problem.  Matter of fact, I don't recall them even coming out to check our stuff.  They just asked, "No more than 200 rounds of ammunition per person, right?  No more than one bottle of liquor or one case of beer per person, right?  OK, have a good time, eh."  All while sitting in the office with their feet on the desk, reading a magazine.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

Thanks for all of the feedback. I had actually thought about checking into have one of the gun stores in Maine store the guns for us. We would be coming back through Maine anyway. Good to know that some have actually done this before. This was my first post on this forum, thanks for making it a postive one. You never know what you might stir up when asking about the carrying of a handgun.

klindww, that is a good time to have your handguns cleaned and inspected too.

The entire Canada firearms act was revised effective Oct. 21, 2022, which in reality makes it impossible to legally enter Canada with a firearm unless you are a member of a recognized team sporting event for shooting, and then only for the specified event dates.

This is the official position of the U.S.A. state dept. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/traveling-abroad-with-firearms.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 5/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, klindww said:

This was my first post on this forum, thanks for making it a postive one.

It is important to also be aware of the legal issues traveling around inside of the US as well. If you don't have a copy, I recommend that you get a current copy of The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States and spend some time with it. While you really don't need to be fearful of traveling with guns, it is wise to keep informed about the laws where you happen to be. And on the same subject, Mexico also forbids the carrying of firearms. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Especially when traveling in gun hostile areas like the NE and other blue states. Over half the country has constitutional carry and are gun friendly territory, most of the South and Mountain States are safe.

Map

The laws are changing rapidly tho and no paper book could keep up. Three or four more states went to unrestricted carry this year so far.

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Especially when traveling in gun hostile areas like the NE and other blue states. Over half the country has constitutional carry and are gun friendly territory, most of the South and Mountain States are safe.

Map

The laws are changing rapidly tho and no paper book could keep up. Three or four more states went to unrestricted carry this year so far.

It is tough to keep up with the laws in each state.  While some are allowing constitution carry others like Colorado are enacting more restrictive laws.  Some counties are also enacting laws in the county that are more restrictive than state laws.  Gun laws are rapidly changing.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

5 hours ago, Randyretired said:

t is tough to keep up with the laws in each state.  While some are allowing constitution carry others like Colorado are enacting more restrictive laws.  Some counties are also enacting laws in the county that are more restrictive than state laws.  Gun laws are rapidly changing.

Most of those unconstitutional laws get struck down by the courts. But you are always best to assume the worse when in those states/