Ford V10, long crank, no start

This has been driving me insane for over  a year. Ever since I got it.   2012 F550 shuttle bus. V10 6.8L with low 54K miles. 

Nobody can fix it.  Had numerous mechanics look at it. One of them replaced the fuel pump. Same thing.  It cranks and cranks ad infinitum and sometimes starts and lately not even that.

If I use a starting fluid, it will "run" for a nanosecond, then cut out again. 

I thought  it was the fuel pump for sure, didn't fix anything. I know I need to pull the fuel pressure. There is no fuel filter. It's built-in to the pump.
I got a certified Ford guy with 20 years of experience look at it and declare it has bad gas. It has been sitting for 6 months since the last trip.  It has maybe 5 gallons in it  potentially bad and I added 10 fresh ones. No improvement. No start. 

The thing is, a year ago I completely circulated all the  gas out of it and filled it with fresh gas and it still would not start. I think I am going to drop the tank again, maybe some gas disintegrated into residue (The PO from what I understand kept it parked for 2 years) and won't start for that reason even if you add fresh gas to it? It has a 50 gallon tank.

If it does start, it will start OK for the rest of the day. That right there  is a clue but I don't know what it means. Apparently the fuel pressure is good. Or is it? It runs really nice. Idles OK too. 
I need a mechanic with really strong diagnostic skills.  I am completely frustrated with it. 

From another forum

If you cranked it over a few times and it did not start , the plugs should be wet.

Under the back of your truck should be a fuel pump driver module. Usually bolted to a frame cross member. They were known for corroding where mounted and resulted in starting problems with no fuel. See if you can find it take it down and if corroded where the back of it contacted the metal frame member , it will need to be replaced.
If you are sure you are getting fuel under the right pressure then we need to look elsewhere as to why the injectors may not be working.

Pulled the fuel pump control module but it’s an all plastic unit. Nothing looked corroded and wiring looked good but I replaced it and the truck fired up. No long crank anymore either. Thanks very much for your help! New part number through ford AU5Z-9D370-J.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

👍

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 1 month later...

The camshaft position sensor swap did nothing.  But it was an easy swap.

The crank position sensor swap was much more difficult, the mechanic had to remove the AC compressor but it finally started on the 1st try today, though it did crank for about 15 seconds, still too long. And I had to punch the gas pedal a bit, which makes no sense at all in an fuel-injected vehicle. But it works.

7 hours ago, etcetera said:

And I had to punch the gas pedal a bit, which makes no sense at all in an fuel-injected vehicle. But it works.

Back when the Triton engines had a throttle cable they had a IAC valve (Idle Air Control) and when it went bad you had to step on the petal to get it to start but yours is drive by wire so I could be the throttle body or the TPS (throttle position sensor) not allowing air past to the butter fly when starting.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

The mechanic said there is spark and there is gas.

Today started after 8 seconds of cranking and some light throttle. 

That's right,  some sensors have been deleted, it's all by wire. 

I will relay this to him:

could be the throttle body or the TPS (throttle position sensor) not allowing air past to the butter fly when starting.

• 2 weeks later...