New Truck & Smart owner

dbrandon

We just purchased a used Herrin Volvo 780 truck and it came with a free 453 Smart car!

That said I had to learn just how unique this car is when it came time to get spare keys.

1) Found ebay action that would cut a key from a picture of my key. This worked perfectly, new keys are perfect. Seller also gave us the smart logo for the backside of the remote!

2) Purchase NEW remotes from ebay/amazon. Take the electronic board and battery and put it in the remote you got in step 1.

3) Program the remotes to the car. < No locksmith in my area would touch the car since they consider it a Mercedes. 

That said, went out and purchased a key programmer for my car, and I am now offering my free key programming services to anyone. I live in the East Texas area. Programming takes 20min or so.    Shoot me an message here!

Welcome!!!  That's quite the intro, and a generous offer too.

So, is your truck from one of our former members?  From someone we may know?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

7 hours ago, dbrandon said:

We just purchased a used Herrin Volvo 780 truck and it came with a free 453 Smart car!

That said I had to learn just how unique this car is when it came time to get spare keys.

1) Found ebay action that would cut a key from a picture of my key. This worked perfectly, new keys are perfect. Seller also gave us the smart logo for the backside of the remote!

2) Purchase NEW remotes from ebay/amazon. Take the electronic board and battery and put it in the remote you got in step 1.

3) Program the remotes to the car. < No locksmith in my area would touch the car since they consider it a Mercedes. 

That said, went out and purchased a key programmer for my car, and I am now offering my free key programming services to anyone. I live in the East Texas area. Programming takes 20min or so.    Shoot me an message here!

Welcome! And you may end up regretting that offer!😄

Congratulations on the new (to you) rig.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Congrats. Photos please!!

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 5/5/2023 at 7:27 PM, rickeieio said:

Welcome!!!  That's quite the intro, and a generous offer too.

So, is your truck from one of our former members?  From someone we may know?

You know, I dont know if the former owner was on this forum!  I have been reading this for years; watching Greg's videos, stalking Jack..etc.. 

I started with a MDT sold it and upgraded! No comparison to the volvo vs the sportchassis. 

Smart is incredible. A solid smile on my face each time I drive with the top down! Smart had some standard issues (windshield needed to be resealed, convertible seals needed some love) 

sLczuO5l.jpg

PAY8YXgl.jpg

I would love to know who used to own this..  I need to call Herrin to see if I can get the paint codes for some touch-ups. I would also love to know the design for the truck bed and the logic behind the tie downs. Truck is in good shape. I swapped out the rear camera system to a wireless system to work with our 5th wheel. Rewired the onboard 120V/inverter with a transfer switch to prevent the inverter from backfeeding the shorepower outlet. Drivers door has water rust at the base which needs to be solved.  Replaced the sleeper outdoor window hinges (@$20 each) all were sun damaged/broken.

I am too much of a wuss to drive it up the ramps, so I use the winch. Single tow hook on the 453, and thats how I pull it up. Driving it off is ok.. 

Tempted to put in airline track and get the RVH chocks vs the original design. RVH Chocks

My smiling face. Enjoy the little things,  get a Smart convertible.

0F9IYq6l.png

Don't recall seeing that rig in any photos or at the HDT Rally's I attended. Maybe someone else has a better memory. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

12 hours ago, dbrandon said:

I am too much of a wuss to drive it up the ramps, so I use the winch.

We will be using a winch for sure, and I believe that other than the 453, the trannys dont like going up those ramps.  My DW needs a way to load without my help so the winch it is.  I would not call that being a wuss.  Do what makes the most sense for you.  Undoubtedly when you have become more familiar and comfortable with the setup, you may find it reasonable to drive up.

Marcel

With the hint given by Rpsinc, I found pictures of my hdt with its original trailer.

It looks to have been painted to match a very nice trailer.   https://youtu.be/nv93x0J9l_U

Greg sold the truck to Ken & Cindy, and here is a post on this forum about them! 

Jack's Introduction  Sadly all the pictures are gone, google+ is no more.

Then Ken's post here where he sold it!  For Sale  Sadly all of the pictures are gone.

ebm-20151021082703.jpg?ssl=1

ebm-20151021082803.jpg?ssl=1

Very nice truck, it spent couple of days at the Old Goat's installation and upgrade "central".

I5jFykGl.jpg

I wrote an article on weight and balance using their rig as an example (portion below), see what I can dig up for photos, my google pictures are still working.

96Q46tvl.jpg

Edited by phoenix2013

Love how this forum helps us all bring this around in a circle.  Most are not FULL circles yet but we continue along the journey with different caretakers for the many parts of our RVing experience and its associated equipment.

Marcel

Ken Leaville working on his Volvo

b9YaSEvl.jpg

The truck had standard ET Senior, perfect for 22-25K trailer with 5-6K pin weight. Old Goat learned though through " this network and friends" that Ken was pulling 33K fifth with 8K pin weight. So Old Goat "invited" Ken to come down to Florida to remedy the situation. The ET was upgraded with a 13.5K airbag to an ET Super Senior.

3U4ZdFjl.jpg

a2Yl65El.jpg

That airbag might be "too mushy" if your fifth is significantly below 5K on the king pin. While he was staying at the local RV park we go a tour of his "palace".

JU8g2Gzl.jpg

80BKF2cl.jpg

Curious what Ken did with the coach, it was a one of the kind.

hmm my trailer will be 3K on the pin on a good day.   Maybe someday I find will the forks rv and re-unite the pair.

Henry thx much for the pictures. Its great to see 1) the history 2) a master at work. I am in awe of people who can think and work in 3D. 

This hitch is massive. Looking forward to my first trip and the ET Super Senior! 

In 15 years I had seen only two Forks RVs (JC Canterbury's and Ken Laveal's) both pulled by Volvos and ETs and both needed the extra size bag. The ET is massive because it was designed to take care of fifths like those. The rigs were custom built for JC and Ken and I believe one or both were featured on a TV show featuring custom rigs like these. JC sold his few years back and it looks like Ken did more recently. Forks went out of business few years back, they found out that building super expensive and super custom fifths is great for soul and reputation but not so good for profit margin.

The business with airbags is not where more is better. You might have a lot of mush with 3K pin weight. The ET was designed to take different size airbags to match the pin weights. See how it goes and and I might have some ideas for you, call me if you want to "chat". This was JC's Volvo getting the larger bag and a new Super Binkley head.

ZzjNpZNl.jpg