Tug test.

runaway parents

22 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Can you post a pic of what this is?  I am currently upgrading to a TSLB3 and am interested in this modificatioon/enhancement.

In the first pic you will see the handle mods.  Easier to get to and use.  Also note the two holes near the attachment where you can drop a pin through as a second stop behind the jaw block.  I use a PTO pin from Tractor Supply so it won’t come out.  The second picture is an attempt to show you the block welded on where the pin drops through.  All these mods were done a a professional machine shop but were GeorgiaHybrids ideas.  Also had hitch squared and trued and other upgrades.  It’s pretty much bulletproof now IMHO.
EOe6yUMl.jpg

YIXg08Ll.jpg

tFD9srNl.jpg

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Other enhancements were, as I said, squaring and truing all brackets so that there were no asymmetric forces exerted on the dog bones.  All bushings and spacers were redone with a special HDPE to very snug tolerances.  Also all rods were replaced with chrome moly steel.  (Folks should know, GeorgiaHybrid is a mechanical engineer and his business did steel detailing for amongst other things, nuclear power plants.  The man knows his steels and materials).  Finally stop brackets were added so if a set screw came out, the rods remained secure (redundancy).  The below pic shows that and also shows the fore and aft thrust bearing was replaced full span to snug tolerance with the same HDPE.  Cost was just shy of $1000 for these changes but now am confident my hitch will outlive me.  Also please don’t take any of this post as dissing anyone or any company.  I just had some trouble with my original hitch that I never wanted to reoccur.

fDaUq3Gl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

7 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

One of the great things about your post it the reminding everybody is that we get into habits and forget to perform simple inspections all around the trailer and truck. Messages like this remind us not to get in a hurry, to pull out that old check list and go over it a little more slowly.

Thanks for the great information. It is also great to see somebody who is humble enough to post stuff like this.

Later,

Cory O

Thank you so much you made my day. If you're going to the WCR this year we need to get together. I'd like to meet you. We got our new gearbox in Today and all I have to do is in install it and everything's back to normal. Thanks for the great thoughts we appreciated  them.

28 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

Thank you so much you made my day. If you're going to the WCR this year we need to get together. I'd like to meet you. We got our new gearbox in Today and all I have to do is in install it and everything's back to normal. Thanks for the great thoughts we appreciated  them.

Sorry also for your misfortune and I agree totally with Corey.  Lots of folks won’t talk about their mistakes but that’s how we all learn.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Sorry also for your misfortune and I agree totally with Corey.  Lots of folks won’t talk about their mistakes but that’s how we all learn.

I'm hoping somebody out there will learn from my mistake and that they Won't have to go through the embarrassment of seeing there rig sitting on the ground. And the landing Gears tore out of it. If you're going to the w c r It would be neat to meet you too. Time to shake it off. And go camping.

16 hours ago, runaway parents said:

If you're going to the w c r It would be neat to meet you too.

We'll be there.  Would like to take you up on that offer, but have to finish the frame extension and hitch install first.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, GlennWest said:

I bent a leveling jack my last pull. Had to cut off and fix at destination. So stuff does happen.

My wife and I have a saying, "S**t happens on the road". It's just the cost of doing business as an RV'er

Hal from Long Island
2000 Volvo 770, Cummings N14, 10 Speed Eaton Auto-Shift
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420 AMP Toy Hauler

rsz_1rsz_1both22.png

I was pounded with the tug-test when I was taught to drive a rig back in the 1970's My "instructor" was a man getting ready to retire from trucking. I didn't do much road driving; he said learning the ropes in the truck lot was where a driver earned his money, anyone could drive in a straight line.

When we bought a dually pickup and 5er, I did a tug-test in the dealers lot, the salesman asked what I was doing when I only raised the landing legs a few inches at first. I towed a 5er for 11 years and only dropped one once, but the legs prevented damage to anything but my ego.  Yup, I had forgotten to engage the safety lever on the 20K  Reese hitch.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I drove a truck for 30 years and dropped one, but it had a light load on it so no harm done.......except it was about a 100 degrees and by the time I got it cranked back up I was hot and completely soaked!  But, I never forgot to do the tug test after that! I did mess up with my 5ver once. I did the tug test without locking the jaws and it slid out of the plate. I've got a bent air line cover on my TrailerSaver to remind me, but no harm other that that. We live, we learn.....we hope!

Edited by mike5511