StarLink customer support......saga continues.

My power supply on the StarLink dish quit working.

It was an adventure to find out how to contact StarLink, but finally determined that you VOTE thumbs down on FAQ in the troubleshooting questions and that opens a dialog window to contact support.  It did take almost a week for support to respond to me.

My initial request was on April 6th.  It is now April 23rd and they have promised to send a new power supply, but in the meantime have closed my "case". 

Hopefully, I will be receiving a new power supply soon, but you might want to figure that it will take awhile to get your StarLink up and working.  It doesn't look like they have an extensive customer support network.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbor said that StarLink has terminated all support for Generation One dishes.  No parts, no repairs.

If it quits working you are to buy a new dish.

After a month I still have not heard back, nor received another power supply from StarLink.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Like $1000.00 cell phones or my Model Y Tesla sometimes improvements are not compatible with new software written on new hardware.

Perhaps there may be aftermarket repair places like the cellphone mom and pop places everywhere that can fix last gen phones.

This year Tesla went to a new computer and software for FSD. It won't be backwards compatible. So my car won't do FSD when it comes out of Beta. But I never bought the BETA FSD at $12k extra so no issues. Since they are coming out with new tech batteries this year too my plans to replace the Forester with a new one are on hold.

So we are buying the Tesla Solar system and two Powerwalls instead first and the Y later this year. No prob because the Forester is awesome for a gas AWD.

https://www.cnet.com/home/energy-and-utilities/tesla-solar-panels-review-cheaper-than-other-national-players/?utm_source=pocket_saves

Some of the complaints I have seen on it are the same with slow responses. Since we are on the grid anyway should not be a problem with a delay. There is a local company I thought to use but for a lesser system they want $10k more than the Tesla system! My son bought one of their early Tesla Solar systems back in 2017 and loved it. He also bought Tesla stock cheap.

I hope you get your Space X issues resolved with them soonest!

Good luck.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

StarLink could not find a power supply for my Generation One dish.

Instead they sent me a new Generation Two dish at no cost to me and I set it up and got it running today.  Not a painless conversion since I was all set up for my previous dish and the power and router lines all changed.  It is not a mobile application.

BUT.....more than fair in my eyes to send a new dish. 

No complaints on my part.  I would have been simpler with just a new power supply, but it seems like a fair solution.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

14 hours ago, Vladimir said:

StarLink could not find a power supply for my Generation One dish.

Instead they sent me a new Generation Two dish at no cost to me and I set it up and got it running today.  Not a painless conversion since I was all set up for my previous dish and the power and router lines all changed.  It is not a mobile application.

BUT.....more than fair in my eyes to send a new dish. 

No complaints on my part.  I would have been simpler with just a new power supply, but it seems like a fair solution.

I think that Starlink's solution was truly was more than fair and while you did struggle with resolution they came through in the end. As well, yYou ended up with an antenna that was smaller and lighter and a router that was better. The gen 2 router will operate over a wider spread of temps, is IP54 rated, and is 3X3, MU-MIMO (vs, 2X2 on gen 1). I have seen some RVers using that router outside so they do not have run a cable inside, they just use either the outlet on the side of the RV or in the basement. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg