How do Medical & Dental insurance claims work?

RV Newbies

Hi there. RV newbies as of September 2023. We are Canadian, moving to the US. We plan to full-time travel for 1-2 years. A couple Q's for anyone who can help us...

1. If we have our domicile listed as Florida, do we have to use a Doctor/Dentist services IN Florida? Or, can we simply get services anywhere in the US (because we are travelling perpetually) and still submit to our employer insurance? In other words, how do you full time travellers typically "do" appts, regular medical care, if you're not in the state in which you have a domicile listed and are not regularly there? 

2. Do you find that this membership is worth the perks? Do you use the RV park discounts and group meet ups? We are a family of 7: 5 kids under 10. We'd like to be as social as we can with the kids.

Thanks! 

Edited by RV Newbies
Grammer

We've never full-timed, just traveled extensively for several months at a time.

In your circumstances do not buy into an HMO insurance plan, they are confined to select local medical Dr.s and if you leave that HMO area, medical care is very expensive or non-existent.

We have a PPO plan which works nationwide, the only thing to remember is ask before making an appt. if they are a preferred provider(PPO) in the insurance co. to which you are paying for coverage.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

34 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

We've never full-timed, just traveled extensively for several months at a time.

In your circumstances do not buy into an HMO insurance plan, they are confined to select local medical Dr.s and if you leave that HMO area, medical care is very expensive or non-existent.

We have a PPO plan which works nationwide, the only thing to remember is ask before making an appt. if they are a preferred provider(PPO) in the insurance co. to which you are paying for coverage.

Okay, Thank you. My husband has insurance through work, not out of pocket. So I'm guessing it's best to speak with them. 

I'll look into a PPO plan, just to get a better understanding of that is. Thanks for your help. 

9 hours ago, RV Newbies said:

Do you find that this membership is worth the perks? Do you use the RV park discounts and group meet ups? We are a family of 7: 5 kids under 10. We'd like to be as social as we can with the kids.

It sounds like you're on the younger side if you have 5 children under 10.  You might want to look into the subgroup of Escapees called Xscapers.  

https://xscapers.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Do you plan to become US citizens? That is a significant part of the domicile related issues. Also, is your husband's employer in Canada or the US? Do start by talking to your husband's employer and to a representative of his health insurance carrier. You will also need to consider insurance for your vehicles. The health insurance that you have will dictate most of the answers to your questions about medical services.

17 hours ago, RV Newbies said:

2. Do you find that this membership is worth the perks? Do you use the RV park discounts and group meet ups? We are a family of 7: 5 kids under 10. We'd like to be as social as we can with the kids.

The fact that I am a Life Member of Escapees should imply that we did find the membership worth the price but, like any membership the key to it's value is how much you will use it. We used the Escapees mail service out of TX for our domicile and mail service, we did spend time in many of the Escapee RV parks, we have attended many Escapee events and during the 12 years that we were fulltime, the vast majority of our social contacts had some connection to our being members of the RV club. Since you are a younger family, I suggest that you take a look at the Xscapers group of the Escapees RV club as it is oriented to the younger, still working members. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For the insurance coverage across the US, you need to carefully examine the medical plan you intend to use.  Many are not PPO and require you to use their specific in-network providers.  If you go outside their coverage area or providers, coverage is reduced.  

If you are going to travel all over the US, look for insurance that is accepted in all of the states without reducing coverage.  

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

12 hours ago, RV Newbies said:

Okay, Thank you. My husband has insurance through work, not out of pocket. So I'm guessing it's best to speak with them.

That was going to be my suggestion if I understand correctly that you are doing a 2 year "visit" not planning to become citizens here too. Many don't know here that Canada and the US allow dual citizenship so Americans who qualify for Canadian citizenship and buy property there do not have to renounce their US citizenship and Canadians who want dual citizenship can do the same.  Lots of rules but those are the basics.

So you might want to look at that as an option if not too expensive for future trips. May be financial advantages or liabilities but worth looking into with kids.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

For the insurance coverage across the US, you need to carefully examine the medical plan you intend to use.  Many are not PPO and require you to use their specific in-network providers.  If you go outside their coverage area or providers, coverage is reduced.

Just to clarify, a PPO does not necessarily reduce coverage, i.e., an in network covered procedure is still covered out of network, but with a higher cost share or co-pay.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Our "home" state was in the midwest so we were able to stop there once a year for primary care with our regular doctors. Our employer sponsored PPO plan let us get care in other places without extra expense. But, that was many years ago so may be harder to get now although I hear Florida is the best state in which to get it. Good luck.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Since you don't have a home base I would look into finding a small city as a "resupply" town.  That you can swing by every six months to a year.

A place that you can make doctors and dental appointments, get the RV fixed, do service on your vehicle, etc. etc.

A place that you want to stay a couple of weeks as all these things get done.  And in your case a town that your kids will enjoy spending a couple of weeks.

Here is a link to resupply town discussion.

Out west, I still use Eugene as my RV and vehicle service center.  No sales tax, lots of services.  Nice campground close to the center of town and lots of bookstores and other amenities.  Rain, but no snow most years even in winter.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2010/09/confluence-state-park-wenatchee.html

Good luck dealing with medical insurance. 

As others have noted, find a national-wide insurance plan that works pretty much everywhere.  I do have a Preferred Provider Network plan, but not sure I would recommend it for a full-time traveler.  You want something with NO GATEKEEPERS for obtaining medical service.

It is a totally different world in the states for health insurance, compared to Canada.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

On 4/20/2023 at 10:09 AM, RV_ said:

That was going to be my suggestion if I understand correctly that you are doing a 2 year "visit" not planning to become citizens here too. Many don't know here that Canada and the US allow dual citizenship so Americans who qualify for Canadian citizenship and buy property there do not have to renounce their US citizenship and Canadians who want dual citizenship can do the same.  Lots of rules but those are the basics.

So you might want to look at that as an option if not too expensive for future trips. May be financial advantages or liabilities but worth looking into with kids.

I am a dual American/Canadian citizen by birth.  It is not so much that the US and Canada "allow" dual citizenship, it's more that they don't care if you hold citizenship from another country(s).

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#