ZIP TIES

runaway parents

They are all the same. My Pete was that way and my KW880. I know the freightliner is that way because I put most of them there myself. 😆 

Little advice on zip ties. Don't go cheap. Get the good ones. I buy a lot of harbor freight stuff but their zip ties are no Bueno. I usually order them from u line. Found some good ones from amazon but still prefer U line. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

44 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Little advice on zip ties. Don't go cheap. Get the good ones

X2.  I buy mine through my local bolt supplier.  Packs of 100, black, UV resistant.  No higher price than the cheap stuff at the discount places, and man are they tough.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

38 minutes ago, spindrift said:

...and square off the cut for any excess or ye shall be cut in the future.

Grip close to the lock end, twist, don't cut. Never get scratched again.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have a handy-dandy tool to pull the tie tight, then clip it close.  Adjustable for tension too.  Simple, inexpensive, and oh so nice.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I have a handy-dandy tool to pull the tie tight, then clip it close.  Adjustable for tension too.  Simple, inexpensive, and oh so nice.

Show that tool please or a link. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Last summer on the way back to Kansas the wind was blowing like crazy and I 40 from Kingman east to Texas is bumpy and horrible running bobtail, tandem axel with nothing to weight it down.

So between the bouncing and the wind, on the second day of the trip, my wife looks out the window of the passenger side and says the rear fairing is coming off. I slow down, pull over and open up the passenger side rear storage department. I put on a couple of gloves and get out my extra wide zip ties. I put 5 zip ties around the bottom frame and where the holder should have been, I had work done just before that and they were gone. Zips in place and we were off.

What would we do without Zip ties, Gorilla tape and bailing wire????

Later,

Cory O 

1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Last summer on the way back to Kansas the wind was blowing like crazy and I 40 from Kingman east to Texas is bumpy and horrible running bobtail, tandem axel with nothing to weight it down.

So between the bouncing and the wind, on the second day of the trip, my wife looks out the window of the passenger side and says the rear fairing is coming off. I slow down, pull over and open up the passenger side rear storage department. I put on a couple of gloves and get out my extra wide zip ties. I put 5 zip ties around the bottom frame and where the holder should have been, I had work done just before that and they were gone. Zips in place and we were off.

Later,

Cory O 

True story.  Back in the early 70’s wife and I were flying Texas International Airlines from Wichita Falls Texas to Dallas Fort Worth on an old Convair turboprop.  As we started to takeoff the left engine cowl started flapping.  We aborted takeoff, taxied back to the start of the runway.  A maintenance guy came out, climbed a ladder and using baling wire and twist pliers cinched the cowling down and away we went.  I’m sure the FAA would have had a field day with that had they known.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Show that tool please or a link. 

Mine looks similar to this.  I got it from my fastener supplier.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjipear47b-AhV9bW8EHYiECjYYABAZGgJqZg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESbOD2sfJf3yGelPOKd9SPLMzxjXdabdYIqV1vsszvd-neEVzdLhCC1H1pNGSscu1mzVJ1zOAJBWOcVyOXn-3gYomYxbiwckdYpEdxlrIfqaUhhCuQWk0KVCVtPZPJrGfbt-ryPrhjWCbOySZCYg&sig=AOD64_373qxq54h32QjPeu3ZEo7RiT8j7g&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwihl9yr47b-AhWnlIkEHelWDZUQ9aACKAB6BQgFEIoB&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjipear47b-AhV9bW8EHYiECjYYABAZGgJqZg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESbOD2sfJf3yGelPOKd9SPLMzxjXdabdYIqV1vsszvd-neEVzdLhCC1H1pNGSscu1mzVJ1zOAJBWOcVyOXn-3gYomYxbiwckdYpEdxlrIfqaUhhCuQWk0KVCVtPZPJrGfbt-ryPrhjWCbOySZCYg&sig=AOD64_373qxq54h32QjPeu3ZEo7RiT8j7g&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwihl9yr47b-AhWnlIkEHelWDZUQ9aACKAB6BQgFEIoB&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjipear47b-AhV9bW8EHYiECjYYABAcGgJqZg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESbOD2sfJf3yGelPOKd9SPLMzxjXdabdYIqV1vsszvd-neEVzdLhCC1H1pNGSscu1mzVJ1zOAJBWOcVyOXn-3gYomYxbiwckdYpEdxlrIfqaUhhCuQWk0KVCVtPZPJrGfbt-ryPrhjWCbOySZCYg&sig=AOD64_2IE-BdGzybZOqsRGKWL7qkMcU45w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwihl9yr47b-AhWnlIkEHelWDZUQ9aACKAB6BAgFEH8&adurl=https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W2919-Adjustable-Cable/dp/B00DJGAH6E/ref=asc_df_B00DJGAH6E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309832851244&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1608717258340821318&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016422&hvtargid=pla-569165082406&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=64417494871&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309832851244&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1608717258340821318&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016422&hvtargid=pla-569165082406

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

8 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Later,

Cory O 

My Mom liked to recount the story from one of her trips to visit Dad when they were courting. Mom had hitched a ride from University with one of my Grandfather’s drivers, in a GMC cracker box. Along the way the throttle return spring gave up. Mom being a resourceful farm girl, grabbed a piece of yarn from her knitting project, tied it to the accelerator pedal and played the part of the spring for the rest of the trip.

Thanks Rick.  Need me one of those.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 4/19/2023 at 3:26 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

True story.  Back in the early 70’s wife and I were flying Texas International Airlines from Wichita Falls Texas to Dallas Fort Worth on an old Convair turboprop.  As we started to takeoff the left engine cowl started flapping.  We aborted takeoff, taxied back to the start of the runway.  A maintenance guy came out, climbed a ladder and using baling wire and twist pliers cinched the cowling down and away we went.  I’m sure the FAA would have had a field day with that had they known.

You'd be surprised at how many aircraft are held together with "safety wire".

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

11 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

You'd be surprised at how many aircraft are held together with "safety wire".

My best friend (corporate pilot) owned a business rebuilding ag airplanes.  Don’t want to tell you how many times we took my C182, landed on a country road, and he drug out wire, and 2x4s, to do a “ field repair “ on a spray plane that he would fly back to his shop on the airport.  Good to live at that time in North Texas where every field was a potential runway.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

12 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

The best of the best:

https://griplockties.com

👍

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

20 hours ago, mike5511 said:

Never seen those before. They do look stout! I worked in the Telecom field in my early days. I've still got "tie wraps" from back then!!

A friend of mine invented these.  Creighton designed them for aircraft usage.  They are spendy for sure, but they really are the best.  

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry