Fuel splitter problem

Wrknrvr

I apparently have a fuel supply air leak on our 2000 Volvo.

I replaced the o ring in the valve maybe 6 years ago.    The truck has sat for two months. Now it has been a problem to get it to run smoothly.   Yes I have been trying what the onboard diagnostics says.

So my fuel filter on the engine is empty when I remove it Cummins N14.

I have been trying to find a suction side fuel splitter. Cannot even find a part number. Called Volvo. They no longer deal with parts. Had me call a big dealer. 

,   There is a bulletin about the fuel splitter. Very confusing situation. Velvac is sorta confused on said subject. M&K truck centers cannot find the part number. I did order a part from M&K truck centers. They sent a return splitter.

So I am looking for a part number. Nothing on Amazon. Nothing on the net.

Hopefully someone has the part number. And can share it with us that have a truck in this vintage.

Thanks,    Vern

I

41 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

I have been trying to find a suction side fuel splitter. Cannot even find a part number.

Not sure about the "suction side", but this google search returned multiple hits that look promising.  They all seem to be the same part:

2000 volvo semi fuel splitter

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Everything I have found is return splitter. Even checked with a local shop back in Montana. None on there shelves. They cannot find one. At least today.

Was pointed to Paccar parts.  But they turned out to be return splitters also.

Thinking of just installing a 1/2” pipe tee.

5 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Everything I have found is return splitter. Even checked with a local shop back in Montana. None on there shelves. They cannot find one. At least today.

Was pointed to Paccar parts.  But they turned out to be return splitters also.

Thinking of just installing a 1/2” pipe tee.

The pipe tee will work. The key to doing it is to have the two lines from the tanks the same length and as close to the same runs as possible. Had an old Freightliner that ran like that for years. That had low flow return so just sent the return to one tank.

On my 2000 Volvo with a Detroit S60 the only outlet on the left-side tank is the crossover hose to the right-side tank. The right-side tank supply's the fuel feed to the engine and the return fuel line goes to the right tank, I have no fuel splitter on the supply or the return. Don't know if this is correct way to do it but it has been working fine for years.

Edited by Sparky242
incorrect wording

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

Today I will install a pipe tee in the fuel suction side, where the supply side splitter was originally located.

I had trouble with this splitter several years ago. Ended up installing a new o’ring and making sure both mating surfaces were flat. Installed a new o’ring and it has worked until this situation appeared.

Late yesterday I pumped the air system up so the the rear air bags filled up. So I could crawl under the truck again. Took a tray of tools with me and a flashlight.    Not one drop of fuel on the fitting. So I grabbed a 5/16” wrench and started to loosen a screw. It’s loose. Now I just put this thing together and made sure it was assembled properly.

When I assembled this while it was under the truck, the two lower screws did not want to snug up. It is in a difficult place to drill the holes deeper and tap them for new deeper screws. But I finally got a bottoming tap in to a good depth. 

I did notice the original screws are the self tapping type. Where there is only a hole to install the screws. When those screws are installed, apparently they are designed to grip really good. But it could be possible that once you remove them, they could loose there holding power. As in not turning loose. I am thinking the metal the self tapping screws cut loose help hold them in place.

On the two lower screws I did put longer screws in. But they were too long. So I put a nut on both screws that were too long, then I could tighten them as needed.

If you ever replaced a propane regulator, these holes in the castings are not tapped. They use self tapping metal screws.

It is till odd that the suction side splitter valve part number is not on the net anymore.

Nor can any shops find it. The Volvo parts guy I talked to, did find a technical update for the truck, by vin number. But it did not say what to do. He also stated that it is not online for the public to find.

Will keep informed