Apple to shut down its online services for devices running older software

RV_

Excerpt:

"According to the leaker known as StellaFudge, virtually all of Apple’s online services except for iCloud will stop working on devices running iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, watchOS 4, and tvOS 11. The leak claims that users running this software will be notified about the upcoming limitation and to update their devices if possible.

In the past, StellaFudge has correctly leaked actual photos of the AirPods Max, AirTags, and details about products like the M1 iPad Pro and the iPhone 12 lineup.

But as noted by MacRumors, there’s something else that backs up this leak – and it comes from Apple itself. The company published a new support article last month explaining that “older software versions will no longer support Apple Services like the App Store, Siri, and Maps.”

Right now, even if you have a device as old as an iPhone 3GS, you can still use services like iMessage. Similar to that, iPhone 4 users can still make FaceTime calls. Of course, new features are not supported by these devices, but they never lost their original capabilities.

This day would come eventually. I've always wondered why apps like Music (or even Reminders for example) , are bound to the OS version. It's a jarring business decision and a user hostile one for that matter.

My Mac that is stuck on Monterey, is also stuck to a buggy Apple Music app that looks like it will never ever be upgraded (this week's update did not even change its build number) and the only way is to buy a new Mac or hack my way to the next macOS (which I won't)

The level of detail and dedication to software making is just not where it used to be. There's just "progress" for the sake of stacking up release numbers and not real connection with the customers and their needs.

The reasons behind this decision are unclear, but Apple could be working on a major upgrade under the hood for its online services that would break support for some old software. WhatsApp, for example, blocks older devices from accessing the app every year due to lack of updates and new features.

Of course, the number of users running old Apple software is really low. According to Apple, only 8% of iOS devices still run software prior iOS 15. This means that the impact of limiting services to newer devices may not be huge. Still, it would be the first time Apple has ever done this.

iOS 17 rumored to drop support for more devices

Much more in the original article here:

https://9to5mac.com/2023/04/04/apple-shut-down-services-older-devices/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Why+cochlear+implant+users+need+repair&utm_campaign=Newsletter_CochlearImplants

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire