Cummins 8.3 oil filter

hemsteadc

2008 Freightliner M2-106 Sportchassis.

I was going to  change my own oil and filter, but after looking at where the oil filter is, I don't know.  It sits vertically, tucked in pretty tight behind a frame member.  Doesn't look like a strap-type OF wrench is going to do the job.  Is there some kind of tool that latches on to the bottom of the filter?

Yes. there are many styles of filter wrench that do as you describe.  I have a couple that are strap type, but use a 3/8" or 1/2" extension to get past obsticles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

There are cast aluminum filter wrenches that would fit the bottom of the filter. Usually using  a 3/8” ratchet.   That way it is centered on the bottom of the filter. I would say to buy a good quality one as I have found a poor quality one once and had to go get a good one at NAPA. Although I do not like NAPA filters.

I tried to pate a picture, but I am not a computer person. So I failed that test.

Search the net and you can find them.

Edited by Wrknrvr

I just looked at my fuel filter. It does not have place for a wrench to fit the bottom.

But I did spy two different filter wrenches I have. They are vise grip style filter wrenches. I have two different versions of them.   I would take you new filter with you if you go looking for wrenches.

I also use them for holding awning tubes when working on awnings.    Harbor freight may have them.

I found a filter wrench that fits on the bottom of the filter and as you turn it to remove the filter it digs into the filter.  It has 3 prongs and accepts a 1/2" drive.  The harder the force the harder it digs in.  Unfortunately I don't know where I bought it.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Several choices available. Strap wrench style:08-0069_ratchet_1024x1024.jpg?v=14339619

Jaw style:9779693-21.jpg

Pocket style:MX2320-US_Main_1000x1000.jpg?v=162584489

Be aware that the pocket style is filter specific, and has a lot lower size range.

Harbor Freight locking style:63696_I.jpg

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I carry a set very similar, minus the locking handles. Comes in handy for other thing around the RV, like stiff sewer hoses. I also have several of the other styles in the toolbox at Junior's place.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.