TST tire pressure monitor

SuiteSuccess

Time to replace four 507 cap sensors.  Getting erratic readings or drop out recently.  (I do have the repeater on the trailer and put in fresh batteries). Thinking of going to 507 flow through for trailer tires.  Anyone had any issues with flow thru vs. caps?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I like the flow through sensors.  I had some minor issues with the first iteration of their design when they were first intro years ago.  They are on the third iteration now (I believe) and I have had no issues with the new ones and they are slightly smaller and easier to service/replace batteries than the originals.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

14 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I like the flow through sensors.  I had some minor issues with the first iteration of their design when they were first intro years ago.  They are on the third iteration now (I believe) and I have had no issues with the new ones and they are slightly smaller and easier to service/replace batteries than the originals.

Thanks Chad.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Have you (Chad or Carl) ever had issue with the weight of the sensors on the long metal valve stems on your truck?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Av8r, I'll add my 2 cents on sensors and long stems. I've never had any issue with the TST 507 flow-through sensors(bought mine in 2008) on my brass dually stems. Shoot, many people don't even balance tires with dual applications, but I have all 6 balanced.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Have you (Chad or Carl) ever had issue with the weight of the sensors on the long metal valve stems on your truck?

I’ve never had any issues with the long truck valve stems and sensors.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I was just a little concerned about fatigue cracking of the long metal valve stems with the weight of the sensor on the end.  

But I guess this isn't really a thing...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

12 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I was just a little concerned about fatigue cracking of the long metal valve stems with the weight of the sensor on the end.  

But I guess this isn't really a thing...

Larry,

Has been one of my concerns also but I was only going to put them on trailer tires which are short stemmed metal.  BTW for information only, I just upgraded my tires on the trailer to Continental HTL  235/75/r17.5s instead of 215s. They are pricey but 18 ply J rated (75mph) with max load capacity of 6800 (vs G114 4800) lbs per tire.  Did it on suggestion from GeorgiaHybrid.  Had my first 1000 mile pull with them recently and might be subjective but seemed to pull better than my G114s.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Had my first 1000 mile pull with them recently and might be subjective but seemed to pull better than my G114s.

Carl, that was just the after-glow from the previous 10 days. 🤣

Seriously, when we upgraded to the 17.5 Sailuns, the difference was noticeable.  That said, we're over inflated a bit for our load, so rolling resistance is less, at the expense of slightly reduced tire life.  No matter, they'll age out before they wear out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Carl, that was just the after-glow from the previous 10 days. 🤣

Seriously, when we upgraded to the 17.5 Sailuns, the difference was noticeable.  That said, we're over inflated a bit for our load, so rolling resistance is less, at the expense of slightly reduced tire life.  No matter, they'll age out before they wear out.

Rick,

Camping with my friends always gives me an afterglow and believe me, at my age afterglows are infrequent.  😜

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

58 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

over sharing......

42 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Just how "cozy" did you guys get????

Ok, an innocent misstatement and the vultures sweep in.  I MEANT had a very nice time camping with a group of friends, mine and their lovely wives, who we ALL have been insanely loyal to for DECADES!!  😜😜

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

12 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Larry,

Has been one of my concerns also but I was only going to put them on trailer tires which are short stemmed metal.  BTW for information only, I just upgraded my tires on the trailer to Continental HTL  235/75/r17.5s instead of 215s. They are pricey but 18 ply J rated (75mph) with max load capacity of 6800 (vs G114 4800) lbs per tire.  Did it on suggestion from GeorgiaHybrid.  Had my first 1000 mile pull with them recently and might be subjective but seemed to pull better than my G114s.

I was trying to decide if I wanted the 12 $ensor set or just the 6 on the trailer.  Do you have any monitor system on your truck?

When I converted to 17.5s, I went with 245-70R17.5 J-rated tires that were recommended to me by a friend who runs this size on his low-boy.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

11 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I was trying to decide if I wanted the 12 $ensor set or just the 6 on the trailer.  Do you have any monitor system on your truck?

When I converted to 17.5s, I went with 245-70R17.5 J-rated tires that were recommended to me by a friend who runs this size on his low-boy.

I have the TST 507 and have 14 total sensors (I’m tandem)….on every tire truck and trailer.  Expensive but gives me peace of mind.  Also why I went with the heavier trailer tire based on other’s experience with blowouts on the G114s.  Also as a learning point, I’m religious about checking tire pressures before and during a trip and keeping properly inflated.  Don’t know how many times someone at a campground who is relatively new pulling a 36 ft trailer on 16 inch wheels has borrowed my digital gauge and is 10-15 psi low on pressure on Chinese bombs.  When asked they only checked them at the start of the season if then.  Not dissing, just didn’t know.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 4/5/2023 at 5:20 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Don’t know how many times someone at a campground who is relatively new pulling a 36 ft trailer on 16 inch wheels has borrowed my digital gauge and is 10-15 psi low on pressure on Chinese bombs.

And then you see them going 75 on the freeway in those same tires with speed ratings WELL below that.  And they wonder why they have tire problems.  AND, they run overloaded too.

Marcel

7 hours ago, rpsinc said:

And then you see them going 75 on the freeway in those same tires with speed ratings WELL below that.  And they wonder why they have tire problems.  AND, they run overloaded too.

Yep!

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I have the TST 507 with flow through sensors.  I am disappointed in the accuracy of pressure readings.  I have confirmed with two pressure gauges that my tire pressure is 80 lbs. I also checked with a gauge at a tire shop and confirmed 80 lbs.  My reading is constantly 74 lbs.  Yes I can relate the pressure reading to the actual reading but I feel I shouldn't have to. The instructions do say that there can be a variable but at the cost of these things I feels they should do better.  At their best they are a alert about blow outs or rapid loss of air.  

7 minutes ago, duraduk said:

I have the TST 507 with flow through sensors.  I am disappointed in the accuracy of pressure readings.  I have confirmed with two pressure gauges that my tire pressure is 80 lbs. I also checked with a gauge at a tire shop and confirmed 80 lbs.  My reading is constantly 74 lbs.  Yes I can relate the pressure reading to the actual reading but I feel I shouldn't have to. The instructions do say that there can be a variable but at the cost of these things I feels they should do better.  At their best they are a alert about blow outs or rapid loss of air.  

My 10 standard TST 507 cap sensors are accurate within a pound. I don't find them any more difficult to remove for airing up than removing a standard valve cap.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I came to this topic because of the topic but got distracted.  My apologies!

We bought a new to us NH 5th wheel with flow through sensors & booster.  I dont have anything else for a system but am looking into what to do to put a system in place for safety's sake.

Any suggestions?  I run 6 tires on my HDT and my 5er is a 3 axle.

Marcel

6 hours ago, rpsinc said:

I came to this topic because of the topic but got distracted.  My apologies!

We bought a new to us NH 5th wheel with flow through sensors & booster.  I dont have anything else for a system but am looking into what to do to put a system in place for safety's sake.

Any suggestions?  I run 6 tires on my HDT and my 5er is a 3 axle.

If your NH already has TST 507 sensors and the display, then adding an additional 6 sensors for your HDT is quite easy. The color display supports up to 38 sensors.

Dutch

2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

No display just the FT sensors and not sure what model either but the trailer also has a signal booster.  I am a bit ignorant of this system and its technology.

Pictures of a sensor and the booster could help us narrow down the brand and model.

Dutch