Towing a Dutchmen Astoria 2203 RB with a 2016 Toyota Tundra

Isabel Brady

• Isabel Brady changed the title to Towing a Dutchmen Astoria 2203 RB with a 2016 Toyota Tundra

Can you tell us exactly which model of Dutchment TT you're talking about? If the 720 lbs. tongue weight is the advertized/brochure weight, the actual loaded tongue weight will be much higher.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

25 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

Can you tell us exactly which model of Dutchment TT you're talking about? If the 720 lbs. tongue weight is the advertized/brochure weight, the actual loaded tongue weight will be much higher.

Rob

^^^ This ^^^

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

On 3/30/2023 at 7:56 AM, Isabel Brady said:

I will be purchasing a new Dutchment TT but I am concerned about the hitch weight being 720 lbs will this be ok for my Tundra which can tow 10,000lbs.  Any help is appreciated

Assuming your Tundra can, indeed, tow 10,000#, you will almost always run out of payload capacity before you run out of towing capacity.

Edited by Tulecreeper

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

I'm sorry - I didn't notice that you had the TT model in the title. The loaded tongue weight will be around 1,000 lbs. The payload (tongue weight it can carry) for the truck is just as - if not more - important than the towing capacity. You can get the payload number from the door sticker on your truck ("Maximum weight of passengers and cargo not to exeed..."). That number will need to be more than the 1,000 lbs. tongue weight for the trailer, you and any passengers, and 100 lbs. for a weight distributing hitch. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I looked at Dutchmen’s website and the manufacturer hitch weight for a new one is 748, not 720.  Adding the average ship weight with the stated cargo capacity I would guess the (unstated) GVWR is likely to be 8900 lbs.  When I take the average shipping weight and the stated hitch weight, the trailer appears to be designed with a tongue weight almost 13%.  So assuming the same percentage, I would guess that the trailer’s tongue weight, when loaded, will be over 1,000 lbs.

So Rob’s point about the Tundra’s payload becomes more important than the tow rating.  What’s the door sticker on the Tundra say?  What’s the payload capacity of that particular truck?  There’s a wide variance of payload when it comes to half ton trucks - it depends on each truck’s features (for instance, a truck with a moonroof will have less payload than the same truck without one).

While most WDH are around 100 lbs, the lightest weight one is the Andersen.  It is often less than 50 lbs total, so that might help you a bit with payload.  Remember that everything you put in or on the truck will count as payload.

This online calculator will accurately and impartially match your tow vehicle and trailer. This removes all salesmens hype and chest-beating of other like vehicle owners.

IMO, your tundra will be overloaded, but the calculator does not guess.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961