Best RV Toilet Chemical

For a change NOT an electrical question lol   Having been an RVer over 50 years Ive probably tried many many different brands of Toilet chemical, so just looking for opinions on which yall think is best, especially regarding its ability to break down tissue and waste ??????? Sure we all know LOTS OF WATER is an answer and of course letting the tank be full before dumping, just looking for opinions on the best break down chemical ?????? Plenty of opinions out there on You Tube for sure lol

John T  Overnight dry camped at Cracker Barrell in Lake City FL, headed to become an exhibitor at the Stephen Foster Antique Tractor Show in White Springs

4 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Sure we all know LOTS OF WATER is an answer and of course letting the tank be full before dumping, just looking for opinions on the best break down chemical ?

I guess it just depends on what you want to do. Water is the key to making the process work but it it won't lighten your wallet so if that is what you want, just look for the most expensive chemical and dump a lot of it into the toilet. We stopped using chemicals in our waste tanks, more than 20 years ago. We lived 10+ years in the RV fulltime with only water used. We now part-time and we do that same thing. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What we have found that works well for us, aside from lots of water, is a combo. We use 1/4 cup Dawn (the cheapest), 1/4 cup Borax and 1 pod of a product called Green Gobbler. The pods are the most expensive at about $1.30 per pod and adding the cost of the rest I am going to guess about $1.60 per flush or about every 10 days. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

8 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

For a change NOT an electrical question lol   Having been an RVer over 50 years Ive probably tried many many different brands of Toilet chemical, so just looking for opinions on which yall think is best, especially regarding its ability to break down tissue and waste ??????? Sure we all know LOTS OF WATER is an answer and of course letting the tank be full before dumping, just looking for opinions on the best break down chemical ?????? Plenty of opinions out there on You Tube for sure lol

John T  Overnight dry camped at Cracker Barrell in Lake City FL, headed to become an exhibitor at the Stephen Foster Antique Tractor Show in White Springs

Composting toilet, no chemicals.

Don't mix the liquid with solids and the only odor is the Strong Ammonia odor if you let the liquid sit for too long. Vinegar will eliminate most of that except when you empty the liquid container. Both can easily be disposed of without adding a "Lot of Water". I'm getting close to a year of doing this and 9 months with the brand of "Composting Toilet" I was able to see  in person before the purchase. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

14 minutes ago, lappir said:

Composting toilet, no chemicals.

Don't mix the liquid with solids and the only odor is the Strong Ammonia odor if you let the liquid sit for too long. Vinegar will eliminate most of that except when you empty the liquid container. Both can easily be disposed of without adding a "Lot of Water". I'm getting close to a year of doing this and 9 months with the brand of "Composting Toilet" I was able to see  in person before the purchase. 

Rod

Could not talk DW into this. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Fermentation and anaerobic bacteria are the keys to no odor.  When you dump your tank, leave a little poo mix in the tank so some anaerobic bacteria remain.   Add water - about 5 gallons and poo away to your heart's content until it is time to dump again.  If you are traveling rather than stationary,  do not completely dump the black tank leaving it about 1/4 full until you arrive at your next stop allowing the gook in the tank to slosh around and completely liquify the paper and poo  - then dump all but about a gallon.   No fancy chemicals are needed - you want a good colony of anaerobic bacteria to avoid odors.  Most chemicals kill the needed bacteria and mask odor - not a good combination.  Some DAWN or other dishwashing liquid won't hurt as it helps to keep the inside of the tank somewhat clean - especially the sensors for the levels.

You did not ask, but if your tank level sensors stop working, put about 10 gallons of water in your tank and add about a cup of Cascade automatic dishwasher detergent and drive, drive, drive.  It has always worked for me, and I've been doing it since 1973.  To restart the no-odor process, just put a lot of water in your tank and add your poo.  Then repeat the dump process leaving about a gallon of stuff in the tank.

A happy wife makes for a happy camper - potty odor can make a wife very unhappy.😄

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

The best chemical to use is a universal solvent = WATER, and enough to always keep all solids covered. Years ago I bought RV toilet stuff, but after joining  this forum and becoming educated on the subject, i've saved a lot of money in the past 20 years.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks everyone, looks like ALL of us (me included) agree PLENTY OF WATER is best. I doubt if there's any good answer or accurate tests as to what IF ANY brand of chemical is best for breaking down tissue and waste, I was just asking in case someone knew of such..... With sooooooooo many brands and claims and adds, all of which claim are best who's to say lol..

Thanks again yall best wishes take care

John T  Exhibiting at Stephen Foster Antique Tractor Show in White Springs FL

Edited by oldjohnt

• 11 months later...

UPDATE somehow this oldddddddddd topic has resurfaced lol so I will add to my previous comments.

Sure as well all know, and I often practice, plain old water and plenty of it suffices quite well, but to add to Clydro's post on occasion when I have chosen to use a chemical as far as the best breakdown of solids and paper and best odor control are concerned UNIQUE DIGEST IT is the best product I've ever used !!!! I think I may give a new comer called LIQUIFIED a trial run if I should ever so choose in the future as it gets great reviews.

John T  Live in the RV free dry camped in the Zephyrhills Florida Moose Club after a great steak dinner last night

On 3/10/2024 at 9:57 AM, oldjohnt said:

UPDATE somehow this oldddddddddd topic has resurfaced lol so I will add to my previous comments.

Sure as well all know, and I often practice, plain old water and plenty of it suffices quite well, but to add to Clydro's post on occasion when I have chosen to use a chemical as far as the best breakdown of solids and paper and best odor control are concerned UNIQUE DIGEST IT is the best product I've ever used !!!! I think I may give a new comer called LIQUIFIED a trial run if I should ever so choose in the future as it gets great reviews.

I've heard Unique will actually break down poo mounds..... 

Our grey tank wouldn't read 0% right away after dumping and took awhile (like 6 hrs) for it to eventually read 0%.  Was told to try Pine Sol and Calgon and after a couple of moves with it in the tank, it now immediately reads 0% after dumping.

2020 Dutch Star 4328, 2018 Grand Cherokee, Ready Brute Elite Towbar 

13 hours ago, Ro and Joe said:

Was told to try Pine Sol and Calgon

Be careful as Pine Sol has a history of damaging the seals in the system after a period of use. 

Calgon Carbon Products Application

Edited by Kirk W
Add information.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 3/9/2024 at 2:39 PM, Clydro said:

I’ve used RV Digest-It for 7 years with no problems.  Plus, I add 10 gallons of water after each time I empty the tank.

Your system would not have worked in our first full-time van since it only had an 11 gallon black water tank. We just put maybe a 1/2 gallon of water in after dumping then added enough water to the bowl after each use to make the paper float before flushing. Used that same method in each following RV. Never had a problem.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van