Hyundai, Kia recall 570,000 vehicles, advise owners to park outside because of fire risk

RV_

Excerpt:

"Hyundai and Kia advised owners of 571,467 SUVs and vans to park outside and away form structures because the vehicles could pose a fire risk, according to recall reports submitted to the U.S. National Highway Safety Administration. 

The Korean car makers said the recalled vehicles could be equipped with a faulty tow hitch assembly that can take on water and experience an electrical short. This can increase the risk of fire, according to the NHTSA reports."

Source:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2023/03/23/hyundai-kia-recall-santa-fe-santa-cruz-carnival/11528543002/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The fix for most of these is to downgrade the "trailer" fuse from a 30 to a 15 amp fuse. That is on the ones where a fix is listed, some platforms have a "no fix yet, inspection only" notice. I only know this because I'm a tech at a Kia dealer. No idea why the fix isn't the same across all the vehicle lines. 

28 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

I only know this because I'm a tech at a Kia dealer.

Thank you for contributing as it is nice to have information from a bonafide source! So often we don't really know the validity of our information. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ain't nobody goin' question why a magic fuse fixes the "problem", when most of these fires weren't in vehicles with a trailer connected? Why is there a draw on that circuit, sitting in the driveway? Is my battery going to go dead over a long weekend, sitting? A 15 amp draw will easily kill that battery in short order.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

16 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Ain't nobody goin' question why a magic fuse fixes the "problem", when most of these fires weren't in vehicles with a trailer connected? Why is there a draw on that circuit, sitting in the driveway? Is my battery going to go dead over a long weekend, sitting? A 15 amp draw will easily kill that battery in short order.

Good point. I figured it might be improper wire routing that was causing a short and then a fuse was not blowing to protect the circuit. As far as killing batteries, I know that when a door doesn't get properly closed the dome light will kill the battery in a day or so. Now I wait until the light goes out before walking away.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 3/25/2023 at 6:50 PM, Deezl Smoke said:

I received the notice for my 2009 Kia Sportage. I do not have a trailer hitch, but the recall mentioned the fuse box. I think it is similar as the mention of moisture intrusion may cause a short and start fire.

Yeah, there's basically 3 categories to this recall; no factory hitch/trailer harness, inspection only close recall line; port installed hitch; and dealer installed hitch. Near as I can tell the last 2 are getting the same "fix". Hope this helps.