Which new tires for a 2017 Forest River motorhome?

amarie1

My Sunseeker has the original tires from 2017 (I bought it used in 2021) and I'm about to head out for an extended road trip. It's a 25' Forest River Sunseeker.

I don't know what kind of tires to get nor where to get them put on. 😉 Any tire place? 

I looked at the tires and all I see are "General Grabber HTS" in big letters. That's a brand? 

I don't know the size either ... I see these numbers on the tires (from front passenger): LI 225/75 R 16  115/112S M+S

Any help? Thanks!

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

The tire size is 225/75 R 16, as your door sticker states. I like to trade with Discount Tire as they have locations in most areas and have been very good to work with. If you plan to pass through Oregon, that would be a good choice of place to get them since there is no sales tax there. The same is true for Alaska, Delaware, Montana, and New Hampshire. There are a large number of tires available from Discount Tire or most any other dealer. I currently have BF Goodrich on my diesel truck that uses the same size and they have served me very well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

At 5 years old, I'd just have the tires inspected for external damage, inflate to the Federal tire placard on the door/or inside the vehicle. and put off buying new tires for another 2-3 years.

The tires on my pickup are dated 2016 and passed inspection easily, but mine are nearly worn down to the wear indicators, so this summer I'll replace them.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Have you checked the DOT date codes? Regardless of where they were purchased and who put them on, they could easily be much older than the RV they're installed on. If you're looking for long distance reliability, I would make certain every tire is less than five years old, by the accrual DOT date code. Heat + age + sun = increased risk of blowouts. Not a fun day. Jay

Your motorhome is only 6 maybe 7 years old. Why are you looking to change out the tires? Is there excessive wear on them, how many miles are on them, and do they show signs of being worn out like sidewall cracking (get down on your hands and knees and look very closely)?

Your tire size is easily replaceable by just about any tire shop, as long as they have the lift and door opening high enough to get your rig inside. But, the rig can be jacked up outside to have the tires replaced. A couple of posts mentioned discount tire places and that is the root I would take. Don't forget to check with a Walmart that has a tire center if they can do your vehicle. With them, you can easily shop the tire prices online to compare to other places visited.

Two brands I really like, my first choice would are Hancook Tires and 2nd would be Kumho. I believe both are So. Korea tires and I have had both brands on my daily vehicles to great wear and mileage. I am no fan of Michelins, nor many names we are familiar with like Firestone and Goodyear, IMHO overpriced and underperforming

There are a lot of good tires out there, many No-Name sounding brands which many times are made by the major brand names, often in the same factories with the exact same specs but priced to compete at lower prices in the market place.

OP, if you do decide you definitely need new tires, where ever you go for them make sure the quoted price is the "out the door" price which means ALL costs, fees and taxes along with installation is included. No suprises when the vehicle is ready and the total is a hundred dollars or more than what was quoted to you.

Interesting. Kirk, no, I'm not going up to Oregon, I'll be sticking to northern California, which is where I live now, in the Bay area. 

I have heard that Goodyear Endurance are the ones to go with, but a) I think they've been discontinued; and b) even Walmart lists them (ones still in inventory I guess) at $450 each!

Good advice about getting my current tires inspected; though I've heard over and over again that RVrs should replace tires every 5-6 years regardless of tread wear. I will look for the manufacture dates on them. 

I'm a member of FMCA which has a tire discount program. Here's what they sent me when I dialed in my RV's particulars. Suggestions on which to choose, if any? How can I tell how many ply they are ... it's been recommended that I look for 10-ply.

image.jpeg.3e10952b5fd1c012e7959ae59e43775a.jpeg

You don't HAVE to change out your tires at 5-6 years, but at that point you're suffering the effects of uv and sun damage on tires, which weakens them to the point that you are significantly more at risk for a blowout. Considering the safety risks and potential extensive damage to the RV, new tires seem like very inexpensive insurance. YMMV... Jay

P.S. Also, I like to guess at how many sets of tires I might need over the time I own the vehicle. That helps me decide when is best to replace them.

Since your home is near San Francisco I'd recommend doing a trip up 101 and cross into Oregon to buy your tires.  No sales tax.  We bought ours in Eugene at Les Schwab and got a very good price.  We ordered them while we were still in Arizona and we requested that all of them had to have the same or very close manufactured date.  As it turned out they were all manufactured within 4m.  Go to a place that is busy so you know their tires aren't sitting on a rack and aging out there.  We chose to buy all new ones before our Alaskan trip.  They were 6 yr. old and in my opinion, ready for new ones.  Tires are a small price to pay instead of having an accident.  I also recommend, in addition to Les Schwab, Discount Tires.  They both do a lot of business.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, amarie1 said:

I have heard that Goodyear Endurance are the ones to go with,

Those tires have not been discontinued but they are trailer tires and are not for a motorhome.

As to when the tires should or should not be replaced, since you aren't the original owner I'd probably do the same as you are to avoid the possibility of a blown tire out on the highway.  I'm sure that you have a Discount Tire in your area so here are tires that they suggest. If it were I'd probably go with the BFGOODRICHCOMMERCIAL T/A ALL SEASON or the GOODYEARWRANGLER HT but there are other good tires, it is just that I have had good experiences with those two. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, amarie1 said:

Interesting. Kirk, no, I'm not going up to Oregon, I'll be sticking to northern California, which is where I live now, in the Bay area. 

I have heard that Goodyear Endurance are the ones to go with, but a) I think they've been discontinued; and b) even Walmart lists them (ones still in inventory I guess) at $450 each!

Good advice about getting my current tires inspected; though I've heard over and over again that RVrs should replace tires every 5-6 years regardless of tread wear. I will look for the manufacture dates on them. 

I'm a member of FMCA which has a tire discount program. Here's what they sent me when I dialed in my RV's particulars. Suggestions on which to choose, if any? How can I tell how many ply they are ... it's been recommended that I look for 10-ply.

image.jpeg.3e10952b5fd1c012e7959ae59e43775a.jpeg

FWIW, I ran B.F.GoodrichT/A commercial M&S tires on my Chevy dually from the time I bought it, the only tire issue was running over a road sign that fell from a state highway truck and later finding a ½" diameter bolt in a rear tire, that didn't go flat quickly BTW.

Before making my decision of which brand to buy, I walked around town observing brands of tires on delivery trucks. UPS delivery trucks all had B.F.Goodrich tires. So I thought if the UPS accountants thought B.F.Goodrich was the best bang for their bucks, so should I.

I would not spend the money for Michelin's to buy the name.

I don't know what brand UPS uses today though; your choice your money.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 4 weeks later...

I know you’re all dying of the suspense, but I ended up buying 6 new BF Goodrich commercial T/A all season from America’s Tires (name for Discount Tires in California). I checked the date stamps before they put them on, all were from 11/2022.  

Thanks everyone for the advice! I’m using them as we speak. 😉