Already a Texas resident, transferring vehicle registration to my Escapees address

ElectricZ

Hi all, I just started my full time adventure and am in the process of getting all my paperwork in order. I live in Texas and have my motorhome and toad registered in Bexar county. Both expire in August. Do I need to plan to be in Polk County in August to get my inspections done and update my registration to my Escapees address, or can I get inspected at any state inspection station and update the vehicle registration by mail? I'm planning on heading west instead of east, and I'd like to avoid the detour if possible.

Thanks,

EZ

Edited by ElectricZ

I would not be too concerned but just use an address change form as that is the easiest way to move vehicle registration. You can do the address change for your driver's license online from this link. Your vehicle inspection can be done in any TX county that has the same inspection as your county of registration. When we moved to the mail service from Ft Worth I did it all without ever visiting Polk County. Since you live in TX already it is very easy and no need to go there. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Many years ago I did that as I was stationed in San Antonio and registered in Bexar county too. But that was a long time ago so I advise giving them a call at the DMV. They have three locations in Livingston:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ElectricZ said:

Thanks everyone, I hoped this could be done remotely. I appreciate the input!

Do as SHELDON65, above did..... just do a change of address.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

In Texas, motor vehicles are required to undergo an annual safety inspection, which includes a check of the vehicle's emissions and safety features, before they can be registered. Inspections are typically conducted at state-approved inspection stations, which are located throughout the state.

When you register your vehicle, you must provide a current inspection certificate as proof of compliance with the inspection requirement. Vehicle registration can be done by mail, online, or in person at a county tax office.

3 hours ago, Anawilliam850 said:

In Texas, motor vehicles are required to undergo an annual safety inspection, which includes a check of the vehicle's emissions and safety features, before they can be registered. Inspections are typically conducted at state-approved inspection stations, which are located throughout the state.

When you register your vehicle, you must provide a current inspection certificate as proof of compliance with the inspection requirement. Vehicle registration can be done by mail, online, or in person at a county tax office.

Note that if one isn't going to be in Texas one can self-certify online... just click a box .... and you don't have to drive to Texas for a yearly inspection.  Also, if just driving through Texas and not staying you don't have to get an inspection if you can drive through in 3 days.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, Anawilliam850 said:

In Texas, motor vehicles are required to undergo an annual safety inspection, which includes a check of the vehicle's emissions and safety features, before they can be registered.

The emissions check is only required in designated counties and Polk Co. where Livingston is located is not one of those counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson. Gasoline powered vehicles only.  Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 6:52 AM, Kirk W said:
On 3/28/2023 at 8:44 PM, Anawilliam850 said:

In Texas, motor vehicles are required to undergo an annual safety inspection, which includes a check of the vehicle's emissions and safety features, before they can be registered.

The emissions check is only required in designated counties and Polk Co. where Livingston is located is not one of those counties.

The Chatbot dropped the ball on this one, too.  I think it needs to brush up on the nuances of Texas vehicle inspections before offering up any more opinions.